Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Big Bad Baptist | Epic Brewing Company

Epic Brewing Company
Utah, United States
epicbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

It’s Big, it’s Bad, Whiskey &/or Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout, with Coffee and Cocoa Nibs.

ABV varies by batch

Added by JohnGalt1 on 09-30-2011

#298

Ratings: 3,755 |  Reviews: 629

Very chocolatey. Good coffee notes too. So good.

4.99/5  rDev +14.2%

Wow wow wow wow wow so smooth with a slight burn lots of boozy vanilla chocolate flavors the bourbon flavor really comes out as this warms up! Def top 3 for me

Batch #56

APPEARANCE - Pours jet black with tiny, tiny bubbles that cascade into a tight, slowly-forming, cocoa-colored, one-finger head that quickly settles into a ring. Leaves really great lacing around the sides of the glass all throughout the drinking experience.

SMELL - Beautiful. Right up front you get a combined hit of whiskey and coffee, the scent of what my comrades like to call Whiskafé. Right behind it is a little cream and sugar, and finally trailing at the end, the chocolate, both from the malt and the nibs. Righteous, indeed.

TASTE - Harmony. No one character steals the show; I'm met with a tour de force ensemble cast of what tastes like single malt whiskey, really great coffee (on par with whatever Dieu de Ciel! uses to brew Péché Mortel), and mouth-coating milk chocolate. Bursting with flavor on all cylinders that simply sing together, naturally. Finally, the finish greets you with roasted malt and a soy sauce like umami character that carries the cocoa flavors with it to end on a gourmet fudge note. Wow.

FEEL - Chewy. Chalky. Heavy, with an effervescent low-carbonation that is just a shade more aggressive than silk. Maybe not quite as "thick" feeling as OA Yeti or as incredibly smooth as Doughnut Break, but just as good in its own, different way.

OVERALL - Using my own rubric, I give this beer a 97.35 out of 100, juuuuust a hair under the 4.99 assigned by the bros' calculations, but such details are trifling. A phenomenal beer whatever anyone's numbers say. Incredibly good, and WAY easier to get than anything remotely similar on the market. Regardless, seek this brew out, as I will be (again). I used to drink this a lot a few years ago, but it disappeared from Columbus, OH shelves. But Epic's got a new Ohio rep, and the Baptist is back baby, and it's as good as it ever was!

4.99/5  rDev +14.2%

Mind BLOW - can't believe this isn't rated by me.

In the dark stout relm this is about an 8 in the darkness scale. Light is fleeting on the way out, but turns more amber brown as it goes to the glass, quickly turning black and viscous. A nice tan head, milk chocolate colored. Lacing is nice, not great.

The nose is coffee, caramel, vanilla, chocolate, and some light candy notes.

The beer is sweet bold sugary but with coffee grounds, almost creme brulee like notes, sugars like a wiskey and just so much coffee.

Creamy but well carbonated. A great sipper.

I can't say enough good about this one. It's about as good one can get.

4.98/5  rDev +14%

Release #71 and its important to note which release you get as each is slightly different in ratio and ingredients. I've noticed some reviews agree with the lack of alcohol hotness I detect and others do not. So every release is different and I believe they do a little less than 3000 bottles of each, All seem to be exceptional however.

Was a gift from my boss before Christmas. Made it all of 3 weeks before I opened it. I have not written a review in a while but this beer seems impressive so I figured I would. Poured straight up into a regular old pint glass(I can't find anything fancy digging in my old beerware sadly).

L - Gorgeous dark black body. Impressive thick tan head that just wont quit. I wish I could get this kind of head retention out of my homebrew Imperial Stouts.

S - Big Chocolate Coffee aroma with subtle Oaky Vanilla notes. You can certainly tell premium coffee was used(I dont drink coffee so I can't really expand on this other than to say its notably elegant in aroma).

T - You get the same flavors as in the aroma but in different strengths. First comes that big Coffee taste and then the Oak shines through much stronger than either the Chocolate or Vanilla. The barrel aging really comes out in the flavor. It's aftertaste is slightly astringent but in that classic Imperial Stout way. Surprisingly not a huge/hot alcohol taste for something that's 12.4%.

F - Not as heavy as I would expect. There's something unusually light about this beer. It goes down extremely smooth. This I think is its only flaw in that it just doesn't have as much weight in the body as you would expect. It's definitely a sipping beer just not as much mouthfeel as I would want out of it. It's sort of like a medium body mash on something where a full body infusion should have been used. Barely a flaw though(I'm chewing instead of chomping!).

O - Gorgeous Imperial Stout. One of the best beers I've ever had. Perfect cigar pairing would be a 1964 Anniversary Padron Maduro Robusto. If I had one it would be one hell of a combo. Any fine maduro would do for a cold night sipping this beer in front of a roaring fire. This may also be ideal for one of those espresso breakfast stout concoctions I've heard about but as stated I am not a coffee person so I wouldn't know. I also don't know if I would cellar this because its beautiful after sitting in the barrel for a year.

It's likely I'll never find a beer exactly like this one in any other batch and there's something of sorrow, beauty, and romance in that.

4.98/5  rDev +14%

Love this beer great all around

4.98/5  rDev +14%

A- Black as night with creamy chocolate head that dissipates quickly and leaves a fair amount of lacing.
S- Right up front Black coffee and dark chocolate. There's just a faint hint of whiskey.
T- Incredible. Just how it smells. Coffee and Dark Chocolate coats the whole tongue and a slight whiskey taste at the finish but the alcohol is hidden really well. There is a lingering black coffee taste after swallowing.
MF- Not too thick at all. It's honestly like drinking a cup of cold coffee.
OV- Go out and pick this up. I'm regretting only getting 22oz.

4.97/5  rDev +13.7%

Poured from 22-ounce bomber into a rocks glass. Thick, lightproof brownish-black pour which a thin tan head. Big aromas and flavors of roasted malt, dark cocoa, coffee, molasses, and licorice, with plenty of whiskey-barrel character that does not overpower the other characteristics. Silky mouthfeel, smooth and easy drinking, alcohol warmth without any harshness or burn. Finishes cleanly, with a tinge of sour fruit and tannic astringence. This is as good as it gets.

Big Bad Baptist from Epic Brewing Company