Fermentation Without Representation Imperial Pumpkin Porter | Epic Brewing Company

Fermentation Without Representation Imperial Pumpkin PorterFermentation Without Representation Imperial Pumpkin Porter

Epic Brewing Company
Utah, United States
epicbrewing.com

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Availability: Fall

Our first ever collaborative beer has all the familiar flavors of the season, but done with Epic style. To a base of strong, roasty, and chocolaty porter, we add 200 pounds of real pumpkin per batch, five spices and whole Madagascar vanilla beans. As you pour this deeply ruby brown beer, you’re greeted by the aroma of fresh cut squash,followed by rich chocolate. The flavor starts sweet with marshmallow,vanilla, and some pumpkin pie, then yields to a coffee roast and darkchocolate dryness. This beer is a great introduction for curious drinkers and a special holiday treat for fans of the style.

Added by JohnGalt1 on 11-06-2011

4.48/5  rDev +17%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.47/5  rDev +16.7%

Delicious pumpkin stout here.

Aroma of roasted nuts, fig, pumpkin meat. Cherry. Vanilla. Peanut butter. More malty roastiness. Faint alcohol whiffs.

Taste is excellent. Roasty goodness. Cocoa. Burnt nuttiness. Pumpkin flesh. More pumpkin at the end. All this roastiness complemented very well with the sweet pumpkin notes. Pumpkin is definitely more pronounced at the end.

Mouthfeel is almost perfect. Creamy. Mild. Silky. Good carbonation.

The porter attributes are definitely still all the showcase here. The pumpkin is not over done. Very nice and extremely complex for a sweet pumpkin beer. Just well crafted all around.

4.47/5  rDev +16.7%

22oz bomber poured into a snifter

a: pours a deep chocolate black with a finger of creamy and bubbly tan head. nice lacing.

s: cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin meat, vanilla, cardamon, and a strong hint of deep roasted malts. very nice.

t: deep roasted malts, chocolate with a definite creaminess to it, and then the spices and the flavor of pumpkin at the end. while the aroma began with pumpkin and ended with the porter, the taste is in the opposite order. creamy and smooth mouthfeel. alcohol very well hidden but still with a solid body.

o: a wonderful mix of two style, with equal representation for both. after the disappointment of Starr Hill's pumpkin porter, it was nice to have one done right.

4.46/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Rated to style.

Amazing head retention on top of a dark, dark, brown body. Head is fluffy cream color with loose bubbles.

Lots of spice, but not syrupy, sugary, or over done. Toasty, roasty, malty, milky chocolate. A bit too much on the roastyness.

Whoa. Hands down the best pumpkin brew I've had in quite some time. Carbonation is medium and well placed. Bitterness is great too, heavy and nearly unsettling. No sweetness. Dry due to spice, allspice, light use of cinnamon, cardamon...

Rated to style. A nice brew, very well done for a spice (pumpkin) brew. Recommended for the connoisseur of fine pumpkin ales.

4.4/5  rDev +14.9%

4.4/5  rDev +14.9%

4.39/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Epic/DC Brau Fermentation Without Representation

A- pour produces a 1 finger tan head resting on a deep brown body. Head recedes somewhat quick leaving little in the way of lacing 3.5

S- fresh pumpkin, pumpkin spice, chocolate malt, mollases. The pumpkin and spice is most prevalent but in a fresh way, not a fake or overly sweet way. Smells excellent 4.5

T- I really like this beer a lot. Pumpkin, pumpkin spice, chocolate, caramalized brown sugar, roasted malt, vanilla and slightly dry on the back end. I really like that it retains the porter character but is still a pumpin beer first and foremost. Excellent beer. 4.5

M- nice silky mouthfeel. On the lighter side carbonation-wise 4

O- excellent. I'm going back to buy more immediately. I really like pumpkin beers and this is very close to the top of my list for pumpkin beers. 4.5

A

4.38/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Batch #1.

Bomber served cold into a pint glass.

Dark brown color with good clarity seen on the pour. Inch thick head is slow to settle and has nice lacing.

Aroma is rich and roasty like a nice porter should be with mild pumpkin pie spice added.

Flavor is very pleasant with just the right amount of spice. It would be good just as a traditional strong porter but the spice adds an additional layer making it a bit more interesting.

It has a creamy smooth mouthfeel and good balance.

Overall a really good imperial porter and a perfect beer for a chilly Halloween night.

4.36/5  rDev +13.8%

4.36/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Nice. Nice. Very nice. I really enjoy pumpkin porters. Alaskan made a great one, I think they stopped, there are some others kicking around, even one from Red Hook (I hope they make it again).

This beer is wonderful. Poured from bomber, series #25 brewed in Denver, 8.50%, into Alaskan Brewing smoked porter snifter glass.

A = dark nutty brown color with tinge of orange a little light for a porter but pretty. Tan-ish head that drops quick leaving a rim of foam. Some lacing.

S = almost a faint chocolate liquor smell, some dank pumpkin, spice.

T = different than the smell. dark chocolate, warming liquor, pumpkin, enough malt and hops almost some faint dark red fruit (cherry?) in the way way back, not sure where that comes from (I see someone else gets that too). Very balanced and drinkable.

M = soft, almost tender if a liquid can be tender, smooth, sweet.

O = for the $6.98 I paid I believe I'l buy a few and enjoy them through the season, want to enjoy next to the fire on a 40 degree day with rain and see how well it warms.

Very nice beer, perhaps best I've had from Epic (Big Baptist, red IPA).

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Absolutely caught off guard by this beer ! I was not expecting the flavor assault I got from this one. Pours, looks, feels and tastes more towards the stout end of the spectrum rather than on the porter side of things. Categorized as a Pumpkin ale is sure to throw some off . . . it did me. The pumpkin is there for sure, don't misunderstand. But it is done in such a way that leaves most other pumpkin beers still sitting in the patch watching this beer flourish as far as the style goes. Thick, roasty with hints of vanilla, chocolate and coffee, it is a great addition to your fall beer lineup.

4.35/5  rDev +13.6%

This is a fantastic beer! I'm surprised it hasn't received higher reviews thus far. I'm typically not a fan of the pumpkin infused brews, but I could drink this at any gathering. It is very sweet, certainly there is the flavor of pumpkin but it isn't overwhelming in any sense and it feels mush less cheap that the typical Sam Adams entry. It pours a good frothy head that dissipates relatively quickly. The aroma is pleasant. The mouthfeel is smooth and agreeable without an overriding sense of alcohol or sweetener. I drank at about room temperature and was only disappointed when the bottle was empty. The brew is flying off the shelves in the D.C. area and I haven't met anyone not thrilled with the product.

4.35/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.34/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A group of us regulars at The Friendly Greek Bottle Shop decided to have our own #PumpkinChallenge 2016 and as it is nearing its grand finale, I figured that this is a good time to review it. Sure, it a is a bottle, but I have gotten in enough CANs recently that I CAN make a minor deviation.

From the bottle: "You are holding something special - one of only a few thousand bottles released. Intrigued? Visit www.epicbrewing.com to explore this limited brew's precise details."; "Release # 32[;] 8.3% Alc/Vol[;] SLC # 4326".

I am mildly intrigued, but I am more interested in Pop!ping the cap on this bottle. It comes as a 22-fl. oz. bomber bottle, so a gentle pour is called for as I do not want to deal with any overflow. I sat back & watched as I got a pseudo-cascade, followed by the formation of two-plus fingers of dense, foamy, light-tan head with good retention. Color was Very Dark Brown to Black/Opaque (SRM = > 34, < 44) with NE-quality clarity and ruby highlights. Nose had a coffee-like roastiness, accompanied by a spiciness of cinnamon, nutmeg & ginger. It is really a Porter first and a Pumpkin Ale second and I definitely got its base on the nose. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, not quite creamy, but on the approach. The taste was chocolaty & spicy & very reminiscent of Mexican hot chocolate! Man, this was a) different & b) unexpected and c) I went to their website as directed, but the last release was #30 while mine is #32, so I am unable to provide the brewery's details. I kind of want to buy another bottle, set it aside until the dead of winter, make a double boiler & mull this beer. I would be that it would be fantastic warmed on a cold night. In the interim, the finish was dry, which was really a product of all of the spices which were involved, despite the chocolaty sweetness. I was really impressed by this one, but I wish that the brewery had provided the promised details. Hmmm.

4.33/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.33/5  rDev +13.1%

I got this one as a work Christmas present (I kind of asked for it :-)) Poured into my beer goblet for tasting on a cool winter's night in SLC. Release #5 and 7.6% ABV.

Appearance: Brown in the glass but a really nice crystal clear garnet when held up to the light. This one poured with a nice fluffy tan head that settled after a little bit to a thick film on the beer. It did leave some lacing on my glass. Really a fine looking beer.

Smell: All sorts of autumn spices. I think I can pick out nutmeg, allspice, and cinnamon. I nice mild pumpkin is in the background also. All of this combined with a nice roasty malt character to be expected with a porter. A touch of solvent alcohol is present as well.

Taste: The taste is very nice. Up front, there is some bitterness combining with a autumn spices. The pumpkin is pretty subtle, but noticeable. After the bitterness is gone, the porter semisweetness comes along, but never in a cloying sort of way. While this is called an "Imperial porter" the taste is not overwhelming at any point. The subtle chocolate roastiness from the malts really blends nicely with the autumn spices. A strong offering from Epic.

Mouthfeel: No problems the beer is medium bodied and carbonation is on the low side. The finish is also medium.

Overall: I really enjoyed this beer. A nice seasonal offering from Epic and one of my favorite autumn seasonals this year. This could be one offered to newbies, if they enjoy porters in the first place.

4.33/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.32/5  rDev +12.8%

relese #7, had in a three philosophers little glass.

appearance: brown, nice light brown head,

smell: vanella, and a little cocoa

taste: light alcohol, cocoa wood, not bad for a porter, and a finish of sweet soda pop.funny huh.

mouthfeel: tangy but tasteful, i lika dat mouthfeel a lot.

overall: one of the better pumkins i have had, would buy again next year, and enjoy the epic fermentation eithout representation series of beers throughout the year.

4.32/5  rDev +12.8%

Release 1, says the bottle. Bottled 17 October 2011, per their website.

Pours black, opaque, and dark chocolate brown at the edges. Two fingers of dense medium tan head. I can almost convince myself I see orange, but that's probably reading the label into the beer. Retention and lacing are okay, standard, you know. Except that as I drink it, the glass becomes more and more covered with gobs of foam. So maybe upgrade that lacing.

Smells rich, sweet, and pumpkiny. Smells like the roasted pumpkin puree I used to put into pies as a kid. There's beer behind it, but mostly I smell the pumpkin.

Taste is good - one of the better pumpkin beers that I've had. The porter behind it seems a little thin and light on the roast, present mostly as charry bitterness that comes on late. Pumpkin is present throughout, and it's good, pure, squashy, vegetabley pumpkin. Tasty.

Mouthfeel is, IMO, exceptional. Smooth, fluffy, and chewy without being fizzy or overly heavy. Has that creamy feel of an oatmeal stout. Simply lovely.

I really like this beer. It's got great pumpkin aroma and flavor, and the mouthfeel is exquisite. Main complaint is that the porter isn't more present (and since they bill it as an "imperial pumpkin porter", that's a problem).

4.29/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Fermentation Without Representation Imperial Pumpkin Porter from Epic Brewing Company