Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Imperial Pumpkin Porter | Epic Brewing Company

epicbrewing.com

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Availability: Fall

Formerly Fermentation Without Representation Imperial Pumpkin Porter

Our first ever collaborative beer has all the familiar flavors of the season, but done with Epic style. To a base of strong, roasty, and chocolaty porter, we add 200 pounds of real pumpkin per batch, five spices and whole Madagascar vanilla beans. As you pour this deeply ruby brown beer, you’re greeted by the aroma of fresh cut squash,followed by rich chocolate. The flavor starts sweet with marshmallow,vanilla, and some pumpkin pie, then yields to a coffee roast and darkchocolate dryness. This beer is a great introduction for curious drinkers and a special holiday treat for fans of the style.

Added by JohnGalt1 on 11-06-2011

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%

look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.25/3.5/4.25/4/4
#18
Body comes across a bit murky and more a darker shade of the creamy brown of the root beer in a rootbeer float after the ice cream is gone. But, like, almost no ice cream was there in the first place. Ruddy in the light around the edges. A good finger worth of creamy brown head -- still there as I fumble over words and check my voicemail, there's still about half a finger left. Great lacing as well.

I get almost no pumpkin whatsoever on the nose. This isn't the end of the world: pumpkin beers are alright by me, but I'm not a huge fan or anything, it just would seem that a pumpkin beer would have more, you know, pumpking to it. I get mostly kind of an ashy creamy unpronounced sweet. As I let it warm, the sweet coalesces into something akin to good chocolate with some generalized earthy notes that must be the great gourd itself. It continues to gently slope in this direction as the molecules start to move and stretch a little more.

The tongue offers significantly more going on than the aroma suggested. Whether this is good or not depends on what flavours you like. I happen to enjoy a cool creamy chocolate juxtaposed with bitter coffee, with just enough nutmeg and cinnamon to draw out the mild pumpkin underneath it all. Char and almost a milkstout like creamy sweetness prevail: a combination I really really like. Creamy and smoothe going down.
OH! I found the pumpkin! It was faint faint faint at the best, until I burped (eh, get over it). That was almost completely pumpkin meat, oddly enough, and after that I got more of the pumpkin in the finish and aftertaste each sip.

Ignoring the pumpkin aspect of this, I really like the milky charry chocolatey coffee and nutmeg that this offers. The pumpkin isn't pronounced enough for me to really think of this as pumpkin beer, or to distract from the above mentioned flavours that just so happen to be right up my alley.

3.72/5  rDev -2.4%