Elder Brett: Saison-Brett Golden Ale | Epic Brewing Company

Epic Brewing Company
Utah, United States
epicbrewing.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Epic Brewing Company’s latest barrel-aged beer brings something new—wild yeast. This brew is a collaboration ale with Crooked Stave Artisan Brewing of Fort Collins, Colorado. Chad Yakobson, brewmaster/owner of Crooked Stave, is well known for his skill and knowledge in the brewing of sour and Brettanomyces driven beers. The beer was brewed at Epic by the two brewers. Kevin Crompton, Epic’s brewmaster, and Chad spent several weeks working on the recipe and selecting the proper Brett strains and barrels for the beer to morph from a golden Sasion into a Saison-Brett Golden Ale.

Added by JohnGalt1 on 01-28-2012

the brett is huge

4.75/5  rDev +17.6%

2.25/5  rDev -44.3%

4.27/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

22 oz poured into a tulip glass. Release #4 9.1% abv. Thin white head which fades quickly. Nice light golden color. Aroma of brett funk, lactic tart and citrus. Taste is tart with nicely balanced brett funk and subtle spice. Finish is dry with lingering tartness and spice with a slight alcohol burn. Very effervescent. Good beer not terribly complex. Drinkable. Happy to get ahold of a crooked stave beer in the Seattle market.

3.75/5  rDev -7.2%

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a bottle of Epic Brewing Company's Elder Brett: Saison-Brett Golden Ale a couple months ago for $11.99 at Cork N Ale. I've never had this beer, but I've always wanted to try a beer from Crooked Stave and since they don't make it to Michigan I figure this will be the closest I can get to it at the moment and I thought I would give it a shot, so lets see how it goes. Bottled November 19th 2013 Batch #3 9.3%abv. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks nice, it's similar to the other beers in this series, but it's got drawing of what looks like a businessman wearing bike helmet, I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a fairly hazy bright yellow color that took more of a golden color when held to the light and it had just about two fingers worth of bubbly and slightly creamy white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice rings of patchy lacing behind. This was a very nice looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness and it's followed by a lighter amount of medium tartness that's followed by the brett being the first to show up and imparts a nice funky aroma that's just slightly vinegar like with some lighter wet straw and horse blanket aromas coming through along with a slight musty aroma. Up next comes the fruits which are like a combination of lemon and apple cider like aromas that mix together pretty well. Towards the end comes the barrel which imparts some light woody aromas with some white wine aromas sticking out the most. This beer had a very nice aroma, all the different aspects worked really nice with each other.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness and it's followed by a lighter amount of medium tartness that seems to be at just the right level and it lead right in the brett which imparts the same aspects that it did in the aroma and it's not overpowering at all. Up next comes the fruits which impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma and they seem to show up just as much, but this time there's also a little pear showing up and it seems a little juicer than it was in the aroma. Towards the end comes the wine barrels which impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma with the white wine still sticking out the most and it had just a little bitterness at the end that lead to a tart, fruity and slightly funky aftertaste. This was a very nice tasting beer, all the different aspects worked very well with each other and the balance was really good.

M- Smooth, fairly crisp, a little refreshing, a little dry on the finish, not too acidic, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a really nice mouthfeel that worked really well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a really nice beer and I thought it was a great example of a brett beer and it had all the aspects that i look for in the style and the wine barrel worked really well with this beer and they kind of helped tie everything together and it made for one tasty yet easy drinking beer. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, fairly crisp, a little refreshing, a little dry on the finish, not too acidic, not filling at all and the taste did a great job at holding my attention and I think the full bomber would be the perfect amount for me, I would have no problem drinking a full bottle and I think that may be my limit and I think it would make for a great beer to enjoy during the warmer months of the year. What I like the most about this beer was the balance, each aspect worked really well with each other and no aspect was too overpowering, they were all at the right level. What I liked the least about this beer was nothing, there isn't a single thing that I disliked or would change, it's great just the way it is. I would buy this beer again and I wouldn't mind keeping some in the cellar to see how it develops with more time. I would recommend this beer to anyone who likes brett beers, I would say it's a must try. All in i was impressed with this beer, I've had a couple disappointing beers from Epic, so I was a little leery about spending over $10 on a bottle, but this one turned out to be a great beer and I'm glad I took a chance on it. It's now my favorite beer from Epic and it's one of the better brett beers I've had. This makes me really want to try some beers from Crooked Stave and I think this made for a good collaboration beer and I hope they get together for another collaboration in the future. . Great job guys, this is one hell of a beer, keep up the great work.

4.26/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottle shared at Nathaniel Square Corner store today.

Pours a murky peachy yellow, with a small quarter inch fizzy head, and a little bit of lacing.

Smells slightly tart and funky, with some hay and lemon, and dry apple cider.

The taste is similar. This one's great because there are a lot of great wild Brett flavors, but it's subtle and doesn't bang you over the head. The tart fruit flavors are really nice, evoking green apple, lemon, white wine, and lime.

Light bodied, crisp, dry mouthfeel, very dry, and very tasty. Medium carbonation. Very drinkable.

This one wasn't on my radar, and I'm very glad to have tried it.

3.5/5  rDev -13.4%