Gosilla | Barrier Brewing Company

Added by PEBKAC on 06-02-2011

3.4

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast

4.35/5  rDev +27.9%

Went to Rattle n Hum to get some much needed air conditioning, stayed for the beer!

Pat finally has more then 2-3 beers on his happy hour list, & this was one of them. Six bucks got me a frothy/lumpy, off-white 14oz pour. Filtered, darker then average amber body, but I've only tried a handful of takes on the style in my life, so it's difficult to judge.

Smells were subtle but obvious. Rindy & herbal, toasty, with a squirt of brine.

Taste was less demanding that I would of expected, but extremely clean or just impossibly hidden. Coriander was mild to moderate, but quite orange. Middle was all dry, toasty, semi-sweet malt. Great texture. Low to moderate metallic hops, that I'm probably just mis-identifying. Just a twinge of salt on the back end played off the malt perfectly & made it into such a nice session beer. Bit lacking in "brine" flavor for a Gose, but that moves it past merely being a novelty beer in my opinion & into something truley sessionable. Actually felt a bit harder then 3.8%, but I've been a bit of a puss lately.

I had my doubts about these two guys breaking off & attempting something like this, but it worked. I admire their restraint, especially considering their background brewing at Sixpoint. :)

4.25/5  rDev +25%

This was one of a number of Barrier Brewing Company beers that I sampled on a recent visit to Rattle N Hum in Manhattan's midtown area. I was not familiar with this style before and was glad I had this beer. Very good and extremely easy to drink at the 3.8 ABV.

Appearance was a little darker than I'd have expected for the style. Almost amber. Very cloudy and lots of active carbonation.

Aroma was quite complex with lots of fruit, yeast and spices.

Flavor as well was complex and satisfying, which i find rare in a beer with such low alcohol.

Overall a very good beer and a very interesting style that i look forward to finding again.

3.9/5  rDev +14.7%

Had on-tap at Rattle N Hum in Manhattan, NY.

A - This beer pours a dark cloudy amber color. It has a 2-finger off-white head on it. The head has good retention, and it leaves behind some scattered lace.

S - It smells of fruit, yeast, spices, and wheat. The nose is subtle yet complex.

T - I am tasting orange and coriander right away. More coriander as it warms. There are also some other fruits as well as some yeasty esters. There is a little bit of dryness on the back end, and the finish leaves just a slight bitterness in the mouth as well as some coriander.

M - This has a light to medium body and smooth carbonation. It goes down very easily. It is refreshing and light. Some tingling on the mouth from the spices.

O - This has great drinkability. I could have quite a few of these in an evening. It is light, refreshing, and full of flavor. There is a lot of flavor here for it being so low in alcohol. This is my first Gose so I can't really compare it to any other beers of this style, but I definitely enjoyed it. I would buy this again.

3.88/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Date: 10/12/14
Location: Growlers Beer Bistro
Draught/Bottle: Draught
Glassware: Snifter

Overall: Surprised people are so down on this beer but then again I got none of the Diacetyl that so many others are reporting. Would love to have another.

Appearance: Amber to Orange in color. Nearly no carbonation and no cling. Allows a lot of light in though.
Aroma: Smells of oranges and coriander. A lightly toasted wheat and a touch of pale ale biscuityness to it as well. Lacto tartness that reminds me of a fruity champagne.
Taste: Between the orange and the Lacto I get a flavor that reminds me of brunch mimosas. The wheat and biscuits are still there.
Mouthfeel: Light bodied high carbonation. The high carbonation is another reminder of champagne and helps to spread the orange and coriander around my tongue.

3.73/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours a dark golden color with a high white head that fades quickly; very little lacing. It smells a lot like weed, with some savory notes and also something sweet like mulberry. The taste is a little dominated by the weediness, but there's lemon zest, some earthiness, a little toffee that seems out of place. It's viscous, moderately carbonated, easy to drink. All in all, this is an interesting beer. I prefer the Leipziger (have to review that some time), but it's far and away better than the Bruery's Salt of the Earth. Not one I'll revisit, but one I'm glad to have tried.

3.65/5  rDev +7.4%

3.61/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Opaque good, laced white foam. Bright lemons, some funk. Nice mellow malt, fruity pebble front gives way to biting lemon and lil salt finish

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast