Royal Standard

From:
Clown Shoes

Massachusetts, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Reviews by BYOFB:
4.24/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.44/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

On cask at Hay Merchant. They don't seem to know a lot about this, other than it is labeled a Wee Heavy in Bourbon Barrels, and there appears to be only one other had. Not a lot to go by.

A: Pours a murky dark brown. Eventually, as this settles, a one finger beige head forms. That sticks around for a minute, but not much lace.
S: Sweet malts, a bit of dark fruits, and fusel alcohol. The nose is really subdued, not bad, but nothing much here.
T: A bit more of a toasted malt flavor, with a large sweetness as well. Dark fruits and alcohol take over after that.
M/D: Light carbonation, as one would expect. Though fairly lifeless. Not that great velvety smoothness which is perfect for cask, and the style. Also, nothing particularly substantial either. Plenty of fusel alcohol. Which becomes much more apparent and off putting as this warms. Really only a few ounces are enough to peak my interests, and I don't really want anymore.

Pretty average. Not outright bad, but there are way to many other beers in this style that I love. Some locally made, and I really don't care to come back to this.

3.85/5  rDev -2%

I picked up a bottle of Clown Shoes Royal Standard a couple weeks ago for $7.49 at The Lager Mill. I've had Ride the Lion before and it's only right that I try the non barrel aged version, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage. Poured from a brown 750ml bottle poured into a snifter.

A- The label looks good, it's similar to Ride The Lion and it's pretty eye catching. It poured a hazy caramel color that took on more of red color when held to the light with a finger and half of light tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some patchy lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a lower amount of high sweetness with the malts being the first to show up and they impart some nice caramel, sweet malt, toffee and caramel malt like aromas. Up next comes some fruity aromas, first it's some apple aromas that show up then it's followed by some dark fruits with figs sticking out the most and it makes for a juice like aroma. Towards the I get a really light wood like aroma. This beer had a good aroma, it was a little on the sweet side, but it still had some nice Wee Heavy aromas.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the fruits showing up first this time and they show up more than they did in the aroma and it imparts the same fruit juice like aspects with apples and figs sticking out the most. Up next comes the malt which impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma, but they are a little lighter with the caramel malts and toffee flavors sticking out the most. On the finish there's a hardly any bitterness with a little more sweetness taking it's place and it had a very fruity aftertaste with just a little caramel malt flavors showing up. This was a pretty nice tasting beer, but I wish it had some better balance, the fruit aspects seemed a little too dominating.

M- Smooth, a little crisp, a little creamy, a little rich, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was good and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and i thought it was a pretty nice example of the style, it had most of the things that I look for in the style, but when it came to the taste the balance just wasn't where I wanted it to be and In the end that hurt this beer a little. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, a little crisp, a little creamy, a little rich, a little filling and the taste did a nice job of holding my attention., one glass is a good amount for me, but I don't think I'll have trouble drinking the whole bottle. What I like the most about this beer was the aroma, appearance and mouthfeel; they were all good and they worked well with this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the balance when it came to the taste, it was just a little off and I wish the malts showed up more with more of those fruit aspects showing up in the background. I would buy this beer again, but it isn't something I'll stock up on. I would recommend trying this if you like the style, but it's just a little different than most Wee Heavys. All in all I liked this beer, but I didn't love it, I appreciated that it was unique for the style, but in the end I just wanted a little more balance from it. It's not a favorite Clown Shoes or a favorite of the style, Founders Dirty Bastard is still my favorite and I prefer Ride The Lion over this beer. Nice job guys this was a nice and unique Wee Heavy, keep up the hard work.

4.14/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

750 ml Poured forcefully into a Duvel Tulip

Sight: A nice amber-brown, I’d say somewhere in the neighborhood of 18 SRM. After the beige head dies down, I get a small cap plus a moderately sized island of foam. Lacing left on the glass already is a ladder run horizontally around my tulip.

Smell: Lots of similarities to Ride the Lion, considering it’s nearly the same exact beer. Malt, caramel, a bit of booze, and dare I say it- just a bit of flowers.

Taste: Again, it hits all the notes of a Wee Heavy. However, unlike RTL, Royal Standard has what I find to be a welcome addition, and conjured images of the rolling highlands of Wallacian proportions- heather. It’s not the easiest to pick out, but I taste it on the end. The addition of this ingredient makes this feel like I poured a few ounces of Drambuie into my Wee. A welcome addition, since I truly love the Scottish herbal concoction by itself, or with a mid-level Scottish blend to make the uber old-man drink of a Rusty Nail.

Mouthfeel: A little oily and coating on the tongue, coupled with delicate carbonation, verging on flat. I’ll call it medium minus. It’s what I expect from Scotch ale.
Overall: I truly enjoyed (actually still in the process of enjoying) this one, and like the tweak they made to their already drinkable Wee Heavy.

4.42/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the 22 oz. bomber into a Samuel Smith English tulip.

a: Clear ruby/copper with an inch thick offwhite to tan head which receded to thick surface foam and dense lacing.

s: Mild ripe dark fruit.

t: Dark ripe fruit such as plums over a solid caramel malt base. Slight hop bitterness on an otherwise sweet to dry finish. High ABV is hardly evident.

m: Very smooth "oily" medium to full with great body and moderate carbonation tingle.

o; A superior Scotch ale! Very well made, flavorful, sexy and highly sippable. Can't understand this being "retired" after only a year on the market, except it's not a hoppy American IPA or Pale Ale and it's not barrel aged so who else cares but a few of us malt-lovin' Anglophiles?

4.1/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Pours a two finger khaki head that fades slowly leaving a good lace. Cloudy brown color. Light-medium carbonation and medium bodied. Caramel nose and flavor is dark fruit and light caramel. High ABV is hidden. Decent wee heavy. $6.99 for a 22oz bottle from Bert's Better Beers Hooksett, NH

3.89/5  rDev -1%

4.16/5  rDev +5.9%

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

4.02/5  rDev +2.3%

4.02/5  rDev +2.3%

Brown in color and very murky (is this river water?). There's a trace of brown around half of the top and just a wisp of it in the middle. The aroma is purely of sweet malt. I'm tasting plenty of sweet malt, but it seems much more restrained than the nose was indicating. The mouth is chewy and lightly sticky.

2.62/5  rDev -33.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

22 oz bottle poured at cellar temperature into a snifter. Bottle dated "10/14/14", drank on 2016-04-05.

L: Pours a nice healthy head but with little color. Dull red color, looks appetizing. Little remnant lacing.

S: Nothing attractive here. Super sweet, with a rough malty edge, maybe the heather tips? I'm not familiar with that smell or taste but I'm guessing it has an herb-y pine-ish quality.

T: Recognizable as a scotch ale but too sweet. 10% is a fairly high ABV but not unusual, very apparent here. Some pleasant caramel flavors and surprising depth for how much I didn't like the smell. All the aroma notes are present in the taste, but not as offensive. Unfortunately everything gets washed out by the sweetness.

F: Pleasant carbonation, not too thin. No complaints here.

O: Maybe this one doesn't age well. It was a little over a year old when I bought it so I'll take part of the blame. Interesting idea to add the heather tips, a nod to the Scottish heritage, I guess. Can't tell if it works, though. I put the bottle in the fridge after opening so when I refilled my glass it was a little colder which cut the sweetness a bit but didn't help much. I didn't care for this beer. Wish I could have tried it fresh. Also wish I had gotten my hands on a bottle of Ride the Lion, that's the one I really wanted!

4.44/5  rDev +13%

This one pours a beautiful copper brown that certainly looks like it's fit for royalty.. a brilliant puff of antique white sits atop this mighty brew, and remains intact throughout the drinking experience. I found the aroma to be a malty delight, with elements of dates, raisins, and even a hint of banana. The flavor on this guy is bold and big, but still, it's smoother than one would expect. Lots of molasses and vanilla round out the big malts, and there is a pleasant earthiness to the finish. It's got a soft, coating mouth feel, and the alcohol presence is minimal. Another very highly recommended beer from Clown Shoes!

3.79/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.63/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.91/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.9/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

3.9/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.18/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance:
This Scottish Ale pours out a dark burnt copper color and becomes rampant with red hues towards the center when held up to the light. The body is hazy and no carbonation is evident; the head is dense, creamy and creates a thick lacing to mark every sip you take.
Smell:
Mild apple, faint fig smells and light malts all mix together to create a pleasant aroma when you first open the bottle. As it warms up, bready mild earth smells come through and you can detect the faintest hint of brown sugar and even a little caramel. Woody and fruity smells start seeping through as it warms up even more.
Taste:
Bitter on the sides of your mouth and as you swallow; caramel and dark fruits seem to be the overtone as you drink. Malts and mild floral flavors start to come out after a while, sweet overall.

Mouthfeel:
Crisp when it first hits your tongue, the carbonation really wakes you up. This full bodied ale really coats your mouth and it’s smooth for the style.
Overall:
This is a very nice example of the style, smooth and full of flavor. The aroma and flavors go hand in hand, simply put, you won’t be disappointed by this ale.

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%

3.54/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

22oz. bottle served in my New Belgium Globe glass. Pours a deep brown with reddish highlights and a frothy, half-inch, cream-colored head that eventually dissipates into a solid skim. Nose expresses vinous notes somewhat reminiscent of Dimetapp. Taste consistent with nose with the addition of a medicinal quality beyond the grape notes expressed in the nose. Mouthfeel is light-medium in body (but closer to light) with an even carbonation and a slight acidity. All and all, this beer doesn't really do it for me. Alcohol is extremely well-hidden; however, the flavors come off a bit artificial.

3.99/5  rDev +1.5%

3.47/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

An interesting beer, scotch ale which is not usually my fav style, but with Heather tips which is interesting. So we'll see how it is. Bottled 10/16/14

Pours a decent fizzy 1/2 finger head that fades at a med pace, decent but smaller lacing, a very clear mahogany ruby chestnut color.

Nose is interesting to say the least, its like syrup juice, malt syrup with molasses and brown sugar, mixed with a mild fig juice into a condensed syrup thing, fruity aroma, candied dates, brown sugar juice, a lot like malted juice and slight tangy dates, just a hint of an herbal floral aroma.

Taste brings a lot more of the malt juice, with more molasses and fig juice, candied dates, brown sugar like flavors, and that tanginess from the dates leads to a little BBQ sauce flavor unfortunately, ick. Just a touch of a floral flowery herbal flavor, that I guess is a little heather tip like, but very little. Fair sweetness but not really syrupy thankfully. Finish is a bit drier but still sticky, touch more flowery herbal heather tips, a hint of warming booze coming through, but mostly more of that condensed fig juice and candied dates with molasses lingering.

Mouth is med to fuller bod, a touch of warming booze on the back end, decent fluffy carb.

Overall meh, a bleh flavor of that BBQ sauce with the candied dates and fig juice with malt juice and molasses flavors, etc, but not so enjoyable in general, heather tips re barely there too. Def not one of their better beers.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast