Mangö | Clown Shoes

Clown Shoes
Massachusetts, United States
clownshoesbeer.com

Style: German Kölsch

Crunkle Sam, tired of being a mer anomaly as a most refreshing summertime Barleywine Ale, targeted a German beer style and bastardized it. He had us brew a traditional Kolsch, but made us add all natural mango flavor. Warning: This beer is NOT Reinheitsgebot!

Added by Patches826 on 02-13-2015

Reviews by Retroman40:
3.5/5  rDev -10%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours out a nice orange-yellow with a very persistent quarter inch head. While the smell has some fruit the taste is a nice balance of malt and hops with just a hint of fruit in the finish and on the lips. The carbonation level is excellent and long lasting without being bubbly. Great mouthfeel. Overall this is a pretty decent refreshing Kolsch but at 6.5% ABV it isn't something to hit to hard after working in the yard or garage but more of a settling in type beer.

3.85/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

In a snifter the beer is a hazy gold color with just a tiny head.

The aroma is sweet fruit and pepper.

Mango and orange taste, with a little bit of habanero heat.

A nice beer for a hot summer day.

4.11/5  rDev +5.7%

I picked up a bottle of Clown Shoes Mango a couple days ago for $5.99 at The Lager Mill. I'm always down to try a new Clown Shoes beer and this one sounds interesting, so lets see how it goes. 2015 Vintage. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a teku.

A- The label looks good, it goes well with the name and it's eye catching. It poured a hazy a bright yeallow color that took on more of a golden orange hue when held to the light with two fingers worth of bubbly slightly off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty and patchy lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium of sweetness with mango being first to show up and it dominates this beer with a big fresh and juicy mango aroma, Up next comes a slight doughy yeast aroma with a little of sweet and pale malts coming through along with a slight bread aroma, but it's the mango that dominated the aroma. This beer has a great aroma, it reminds of dried mango candy, it's very nice.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma, but more balanced and it start off with a medium amount of sweetness with the mango being the first to show up and it imparts the same juicy and fresh mango aspects that it did in the aroma, but it's just a little lighter. Up next comes the malts which impart all the aspects that I got in the aroma, but this time they are a little bolder and they help balance out the beer. On the finish comes some doughy yeast with an herbal hops bitterness that lingers into the after taste along with some malt and mango flavors. This is a good tasting beer, it has goof balance and the mango aspect is nice.

M- Smooth, a little clean, crisp, refreshing, very easy drinking, on the very light side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel is pretty good and it works well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a very nice beer and I thought it was good example of the style, Fruited Kolsch's don't show up very often and I'm not sure I've ever had one before, but Clown Shoes did a good job with this beer and it's got a great balance of mango and Kolsch. This beer has great drinkability, I'll have no problem crushing this bottle and if it was really hot I might have another one. What I like the most about this beer is the mango aspect and the balance, they were just where I wanted them to be. What I like the least about this beer was nothing, it's really nice just the way it is. I would for sure buy this beer again and I think I might grab a couple more bottles next time I'm at the store so i can enjoy it a few more times this summer. I would recommend this beer, if a mango Kolsch sounds good to you give it a try. All in all I was very happy with this beer and very impress, clown shoes is starting to become a jack of all trades and it's really showing up in beers like these. It's not a favorite Clown SHoes beer, but it is the best fruited Kolsch I've had and one of the better Kolsch's i;ve had, Great job guys, this is one tasty beer, keep it up. This should be a summer seasonal from now on.

3.26/5  rDev -16.2%

I hope you come across this beer. I think it's right on the cusp of the kolsch topics I have seen as well as the is this a new style threads we often see. I will tell you what my score would have been with the style guidelines and without. Pours almost clear except for a very slight haze. Straw color yellow. White head that did not persist.

Nose is hops! SPicy, herbal hops. A malt that is right between a biscuit and a dry cracker. It's teetering even on the nose. What will be on the palate? The scent of mango. A sweetness from alcohol on the nose. Fresh , ripe mango with a bit of pith or skin that has a bit of musk. No musk in the kolsch. No herbal or spice either. If I had to rate it to style I would say it smells like a blonde not like a kolsch. On a heathen scale 3.5 for smell cause it smells good.

Taste is light but authentic mango. Very spicy and herbal hops. Pungent. Malt that is doing it's best to stay dry but can't because of the alcohol. A moderate hops bitter that finishes this one without much fanfare but does try to clean up the palate from all that flavor and leave something much lighter behind in the after taste. I was generous with that 3.25 because they said american kolsch. Honestly for a kolsch 2.75.

Mouthfeel is ok for a blonde and for an IPA but not for a kolsch. It's not breaddy but it is very smooth and it's not quite dry. I understnand that as you increase abv more sugars are left so that's why it tastes sweet in the finish. I would give it a 3.25 on the heathen scale and for the true to style I would again say NO because of alcohol presence on the palate in the finish and because of sweetness that would be 2.5 or even less. I said 3 because it had that good a mouthfeel for as much abv as it had, and because the alcohol dried out the finish and that is cheating . I will say that it is subtle with the malt and on a second tasting I am inching up these scores. The fruit is not egregious and also is restrained.

Overall less than expected from the name kolsch. but on a heathen scale I would give it a 3.25 because it did taste good. It was easy to drink for the abv it had but not effortless like the kolsch which is maxed at 5.2 % abv.

What is good is that it did not go all errant with yeasty esters. Only the mango is present. The spice makes it tangy from spice not "tangy" like the kolsch and that's cheating again. It tastes good but it's way too sweet and overblown to be a kolsch. Is this a new style? In the bjcp it does say that this beer can resemble a blonde. It sure does.

I think what I am deciding as an old curmudgeon and as a person who loves beer that the reason the abv is too strong is because you have the hops too strong as well. You are looking for flavors in this beer that do not support the funmdamental elements of the style itself whne the abv is too high. . There has to be a reason you don't put too much garlic in the sauce right? So with a light but breaddy, dry like champagne from the pils malt, and with a light TANG from a barely perceptible fruity ester. No hop spice. No big fruity taste.

SO - the best understanding of the original style in this beer is the idea that as you drink it you think it's a blonde. It was refreshing like a blonde. Regionally, according to the bjcp this beer can resemble the blonde. I think they did a pretty good job. I raised my scores a last time to look 4, smell 3, taste 3.25, feel. 3.25, and overall, 3.5.

hmmmm it is a twist on the style that is not unpalatable.

4.09/5  rDev +5.1%

Bottled 07/09/15.

A: Pours a slightly hazy orange. Very tall frothy white head (maybe a very light tan). Great head retention - nice and airy. Great lacing too, fluffy chunks everywhere.

S: Whelp, it smells like mangos. Shocking, I know. Kind of a citrusy, tropical fruit aroma. Swear I get pineapple too; it might be my imagination. Melony, like honeydew.

T: More of the same. It's actually got a bit of a tartness to it. Almost hoppy too (or maybe it IS hoppy). Tropical fruit and melons again but not as sweet as the aroma. Pretty mild with a tart background. Light grainy malt. Must be some hoppiness because there is a nice bit of bitterness bite in the finish. More tropical fruits swirling around in the aftertaste.

M: Fairly light but smooth. Not watery.

O: Not bad. Very interesting "american" kolsch. Fairly simple but at the same time, probably the most complex kolsch I've ever encountered. The hops add some flavor and balancing bitterness but honestly for a perfectly drinkable kolsch I probably would have left them out. Not that anyone cares what I think.

3.39/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

22 oz bottle into a teku.

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy straw color. The head is a finger high and white in shade. Retention is quite decent, but the texture seems rough. A small ring of lacing sticks to the glass. (3.5)

Smell: This is just like mango candy. I mean, seriously. I notice just enough of the kolsch base for it to make a great canvas to the fruit notes, along side a touch of new school hops. It certainly seems refreshing, if not complex. (3.25)

Taste: In my opinion, the first sip is weird. The hybrid between mango juice and kolsch grainyness doesn't quite seem to work. After that, I start to see what Clown Shoes was aiming for. It starts off somewhat crackery (natch), with a touch of rindy bitterness to balance it. The finish is...well, mango juice. I'm missing some of the kolsch esters at first, though they begin appearing slowly but surely. All in all, I enjoy it for what it is...and what it isn't. (3.5)

Mouthfeel: Even with the mango sweetness and higher than average ABV, it's as crisp, light, and dry-finishing as it needs to be. Carbonation is just right: it's powerful, but not ridiculous. Drinkability is quite nice. (3.5)

Overall: I like a beer that unfurls the more I drink it - after all, that's why I drink beer in the first place. And this seems to improve the more I drink it. Even with the 'bastardizing' touches, though, I still prefer some of the more traditional kolsches over this. Still missin' those esters... (3.25)

3.39/5: Nöt my favörite kölsch, but certainly öne with a fun twist

4.13/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

22 ounce bottle - $7.99 at Hop City in Atlanta, Georgia.

Bottled on 07/14/2015.

Appearance: Pours a lightly hazed, pale yellow body with an inch of white froth atop.

Smell: Tartish, sweetish mango paired with the crackery, lightly grainy malt notes.

Taste: Lightly grainy pils malts given a good pinch of powdered sugar sweetness. Hints of citrus and herb hit before the slightly tart mango fruit flavor. Sensibly bitter. Finishes smooth but also lightly crisp, with some lingering mango in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium-plus carbonation.

Overall: Yeah yeah, it's non-traditional, but, hey, it's still pretty refreshing and tasty. You get sufficient mango flavor without totally trouncing the underlying Kolsch.

3.85/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Came a dull slightly hazed deep orange infused golden with a full one finger white head atop.Juicy mango really comes out in the nose along with sweetish biscuit dough,not much hop presence but I really like the fruit and doughiness that stood out.A little dryer on the palate with some mild bread and earthy tones,the mango gives off some nice fruity sweetness in the finish.A little thinner in the mouth.A different take on a kolsch for sure but nice for a hot summer day.

3.94/5  rDev +1.3%

This really did not remind me of a kölsch at all. More of a blonde with mango flavoring. However, it was pretty good. Very light body, but in my opinion the mango just completely dominates the beer. I think I could drink this on a hot day by the pool but probably not more than one. It's not a bad beer by any means. I love seeing (and tasting) what clown shoes releases next. They continue to be one of my favorite breweries that provide the most value and quality without breaking your wallet. Well done.

3.78/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.58/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.01/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.28/5  rDev +10%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.24/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.84/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I really enjoyed the mango flavor this beer brings to the table.

3.98/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours a clear, light amber/yellow cololur. Smells like pale malts, slightly sweet, earthy hops, and a hint of mango. Tastes light, bitter, earthy hops, pale malts, sweet malt undertones, and a faint hint of juicy mango. Crisp and refreshing.

3.96/5  rDev +1.8%

4.66/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours hazy gold with a cream colored foam cap. This is an interesting beer with a rich creamy texture. The brewer adds just enough mango and orange peel to balance the natural citrus and fruit flavors from the hops. Medium to medium light body and mnedium carbonation. A very easy beer to drink.

look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.75/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.68/5  rDev -5.4%

22 oz bottle served in a pint glass.
A decent, mixed density white head with very good retention sits atop a hazy pale golden body.

Aroma: a mild mix of faint baked bread and ample mango jam.

Flavor: follows the aroma but with the mango much less prominent. Sweet up front but more bitterness in the aftertaste.

Feel: light body with lively carbonation. Just right for style.

3.08/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Mangö from Clown Shoes