Hoppy Feet | Clown Shoes

1.25/5  rDev -67.7%

2.04/5  rDev -47.3%

2.24/5  rDev -42.1%

2.44/5  rDev -37%

Picked up a bottle on a trip to Boston. This was my first beer I've had from this brewery. The beer was bottled on 9/2011. It poured a very dark brown with a thin tan head. The aroma was grassy and dry, almost resembled a dry sponge. The taste was of overwhelmingly vegetal hop flavors without much of a malt presence. The carbonation and mouthfeel were appropriate for this style. Normally I love this style and I love hoppy beers, but the grassy hop flavors made it very difficult for me to finish the glass.

2.48/5  rDev -35.9%

2.51/5  rDev -35.1%

22oz bomber poured into a sampling glass.

Pours a dark brown with hints of dark ruby, a small business town head. Nose is a bit off, it's malty and a bit astringent and just not exciting.

The taste has an iron flavor along with some light astringency, there is a light hop bite on the finish. The Mouthfeel is fairly thick and rich but it's just not an impressive beer.

2.51/5  rDev -35.1%

The bottle says it was bottled in the first week of February. Poured into a tulip. Nice dark black color. Light colored almost mocha colored but not quite head. The lacing is nice and sticky. The head is about half an inch large.

The aroma is a 50/50 split between burnt char and orange juicey hops. The burnt aroma doesn't really work well here for me; it seems a bit harsh and a bit much. It reminds me a bit of burnt bacon a bit.

Despite their best efforts, the hops are overwhelmed with roasted bitterness. The hops merely add a hint of mint and herbal qualities in the finish; though not enough to warrant the advertised hoppiness. Though I can't site anything offensive in the taste, it is very underwhelming.

The body is relatively light and the mouthfeel is slightly crispy, allowing for a nice drinking experience. Overall, this is not a very good example of a hoppy black ale. I can think of a few others I would much rather have.

2.7/5  rDev -30.2%

Pours a dark brown forming a nice tan frothy head.

A light scent of hops.

Tastes of hops upon first sip leading to roasted malt flavors. Finishes with a lingering bitter taste that just does not dissipate.

Overall, the beer has bold bitterness that is not pleasurable.

2.71/5  rDev -30%

Not what I expected in a black IPA. Had a very deep chocolate color and poured with a great deal of head. There was too much roasted malted taste and not enough hop for my liking. A decent beer but not the IPA I was looking for. Would recommend for a stout drinker.

2.75/5  rDev -28.9%

I was really wanting to hate this beer due to the literature that came with it, all about how much clown shoes meant to the owner, and then really wanting to love it because of my initial reaction. What I found was a beer that was okay but just that.

Pouring the beer I was excited! the head oh what a head I got about a half and inch of extremely dense head when pouring, and the beer is as black as pitch with a medium heavy lacing. The nose is sweet and hoppy with a touch of citrus. The carbonation is just about perfect for a beer of this type.

It is in the mouth where the beer falls a bit flat. The hops overwhelm the beer, and the hops just frankly aren't that interesting. We get bitter, black walnut style bitter that goes on and on and on and on in a tiresome fashion with a slightly tannic finish. It doesn't finish clean like some of the other black IPAs on the market, instead we get a lingering long uninteresting hop finish I was looking forward to a bend toward the citrus notes in the smell, but no such luck.

However I love the alcohol content! 7 percent is nice.

So if you loooove hops and aren't particular how interesting the beer is, this could work for you. Otherwise if someone offers you it at a party you should enjoy it happily, otherwise I wouldn't go out looking for it.

Hoppy Feet from Clown Shoes