Brown Angel

From:
Clown Shoes

Massachusetts, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Reviews: 244 | Ratings: 680 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by MattyIce21:
3.75/5  rDev -3.1%

4.25/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I've heard some say that this is an imperial brown ale, however, due to lack of research and actually the fact that imperial brown ale is not a true style, I stuck with a nonic pint glass for this.
The appearance was a dark ruddy brown color with a one finger white to off white foamy head that dissipated within less than a minute.
The smell has all of the normal qualities of a great brown ale: light amount of cocoa, nuts, coffee, a little bit of earthiness and then for this beer, it takes in some raisins = nice! I like it.
The taste was mainly sweet with the cocoa and raisins blending nicely. Nuts roll into a sly little bit of toffee and blend with a mild doughy/breadiness. There's a nice rich sweet nutty to raisin aftertaste and it finishes a bit dry with the nuts.
The mouthfeel was about medium bodied with a good stickiness from the sweeter components of this beer on my tongue. Carbonation seems to hit my tongue right.
Overall, imperial or not, this was an awesome offering by Clown Shoes, as I would love to have this again.

Chestnut brown body with slight haze. Fluffy beige head leaves sporadic, droopy lace. On the nose I get light roast, some brown malts and a little sourness. Flavor is malt centric with caramel/roasted blend of flavors. Again, I perceive a little sourness, acidity... which is not very welcomed by me. Body is medium at best. LIghtly carbonated. Very average.

4.25/5  rDev +9.8%

A: Dark brown with a nice creamy white foam head that sticks around throughout the beer and laces the sides of the glass nicely

S: Very nice aroma of rich malts with a great roast flavor that is somewhat sweet. The hops play very nicely with the malt and are very apparent, but stand behind the malt and don't over power the smell

T: Has a very nice roasted taste at the beginning, but switches to a hop bitterness in the middle and ends with a very nice smooth flavor at the end (somewhat like Bells Two Hearted). There is a roasted/bitter aftertaste left in your mouth when you are done

M: Medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Thicker than most browns, which is nice and gives it a better overall flavor

O: My first Clown Shoes brew and I'm pretty impressed. I will be telling people to try this one because its not your average lackluster brown ale that you will typically find in the market.

4.05/5  rDev +4.7%

The Clown Shoes is dark ruby colored with a small bit of light at the bottom of the glass. It is crowned by a thin film of head; there is moderate lacing. The nose is potent with a miasma of toffee, cherry and caramel; the palate is infused with intense hits of fark chocolate, plum, licorice and a little pepper for a kick (with clown shoes, I would suspect.) There is a bitter finish at the end.

This one is a pleasant quaff, but nothing to overwhelm anyone. The labels are pretty cool, though. Gotta love the name at least.

3.09/5  rDev -20.2%

A: Pours out a rich dark mahogany. There are slight hues or dark reds through the beer and about two full fingers of light khaki colored head. The foam settles fairly quickly leaving some big lacing along the edges of the glass.

S: The nose is roasted malt, seaweed, prunes, and booze. This beer might be a bit old, and it kinda smells that way. It's a weird mix of scents.

T: The initial hit is stale bread, roasted malt, a bit of sweetness, and a good amount of booze. It starts out ok, but I really lose it in the middle and the finish. I'm missing that familiar roast/nuttiness that brown ales are known for.

M: Medium bodied beer. It starts and finish pretty dry. This might be caused by the higher ABV, but I'm not sure.

O: Not a fan of this beer. The flavors are just way off, and the higher alcohol level doesn't really help this brew out. I don't think I'd buy it again.

3.91/5  rDev +1%

Poured into an imperial nonic a clear rich brown with a sticky,tight one finger khaki colored head atop,two broken rings of lace were left behind.Chocolate malts,roast,and fruity esters in the nose,as the beer warmed some sweet alcohol notes came into play.Medium smooth feel to the beer,roasty and earthy with lightly sweet chocolate flavors,a light shot of "green" hops lingered in the finish.Not as hop assertive as I thought it would be but its a very good brown ale.

3.42/5  rDev -11.6%

This beer is a murky brown color...translucent with a cloudy, hazy complexion. It's a very heady brew...towering and firm tan head. High carbonation, notable on inspection. The smell is hoppy, earthy, and malt-sugary, but a bit medicinal. Sweet taste...sugar, roasted malts, and moderate bitterness. Yeast...dark bread and dried fruit. Carbonation and sugary characteristics define the beer. Medium-to-full body, which is nicely contrasted with the carbonation. This is a middle-of-the-road brown ale.

3.94/5  rDev +1.8%

This beer pours nutty brown with about a half inch of off white head which recedes leaving a thin layer. There is lots of very nice lacing. Very pretty beer. The aroma is nutty and mildly roasty. Pretty nice. There is also a mild floral hop aroma. There is a bit of coco and roast that comes through in the flavor along with a very nice pleasant roast nutty flavor. A bit of caramel sweetness comes along with it. Nice enjoyable brown ale. Good carbonation, medium mouthfeel. Very nice enjoyable brown ale.

3.85/5  rDev -0.5%

Brown angel pours dark brown into the glass with a medium sized light tan head. The foam dissolves quickly leaving spots and lines of lace on the glass.

The aroma is sweet and malty with some nutty hazelnut notes, toasted malt and hints of citrus.

Each sip of this medium bodied beer is smooth and oily with moderate carbonation. The flavor begins with sweet caramel malt, some chocolate and a touch of coffee. an Earthy nuttiness is also present. It finishes mildly bitter with a touch of citrus and grass. Once gone the caramel and nutty flavor lingers on the palate.

This is a tasty, easy drinking beer that hides it's 7% abv well. A good malty beer for a hearty stew or dinner.

3.1/5  rDev -19.9%

Thanks to DrAwkward82 for sharing this one at drewone’s tasting.

Bottled 4/2011.

Pours a murky brown with an explosively large khaki head that eventually settles to a thin cap on top of the beer. Small streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of toasted malt and nutty aromas. Taste is very much the same with a medium amount of bitterness with each sip. This beer has a very high level of carbonation that is just too much. Overall, this is a pretty average beer as it stands and I think there may be a slight infection issue with the huge head and extreme carbonation that this particular bottle has.

3.28/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Overall, I found this beer to be only slightly better than average -- certainly better than say, Newcastle, but not as complex/interesting as I thought a 'double' brown ale from Clown Shoes would be (I'm still not sure what 'double' means in this context, aside from being a bit hoppier and having a marginally higher ABV than most browns).

Given that my favorite styles are DIPA, American Black, Barleywine and Imperial stout, it's possible that I am underrating this beer due to purely personal preferences. However, it also seemed to be significantly over-carbonated, resulting in a suboptimal mouthfeel.

4.15/5  rDev +7.2%

Pours brown with just a tinge of copper hue once held up to the light. 1/2 finger of coffee head.

Smells of robust coffee and chocolate.

Flavor is of rich dark chocolate with some coffee ground undertones. Just a bit of earthy hops, but coffee is definitely the king here.

Medium mouthfeel and carbonation.

I do love the coffee. It's very robust and not subtle at all, but as a coffee fan it's a good thing. Drinkability is a tad low due to this, but having a glass was awesome.

3.44/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Dark brown almost a mahogany finished oak hue with a light beige head forming thick, head has speckled lacing around the sides of my glass. Aroma has herbal and citric hop notes, with bready caramelized sugars, and mild yeast dough like character. Flavor upfront herbal, pine, and citric bitterness coats the palate and doesn't really let up much, big imperial brown ale for sure. A bit muddled especially as I poured the last of the beer in, this beer is dry and would benefit from a touch more malt base. Mouthfeel is medium bodied slightly slick with hop oils, well deserving dry finish from the boat loads of hops these guys threw into this brew. Overall I wanted it to love it since the label is top notch, but it's just okay for me this go around.

4.42/5  rDev +14.2%

Pours a light Brown color with just a little tan head, and lacing. Looked like a hazier newcastle fresh from the pour.

Initial smell is very floral with a hint of toasted malt, biscuit. Though the hop presence definitely dominates the aroma of the malts in this one.

Things get interesting upon first sip. Despite smelling Floral, the beer tastes very earthy to me, with just enough floral to give the hop flavors a decent complexity that keeps me interested in the lingering flavors instead of just fading to an overpowering bitterness.

The initial malt flavors are similar to the smell but the consist of a subtle caramel sweetness that is pleasant and helps to balance out the strong hop profile. Though I do feel that there could be a little more malt backbone and sweetness to help keep the end result less hop dominant, and sit a little cleaner in the brown ale classification.

Mouthfeel is slightly thicker than average, but very much in line with what I want/expect out of a brown. Has a pleasant amount of body, and carbonation is good, on the drier side of normal browns. Drinkability of this for me is quite high.

Overall I think there is still some room to spruce up the prescence and contribution of the malt flavors that seem a little lost of lacking. Although, I enjoyed this 'Double-Brown' quite a bit, and could definitely see myself drinking more of these as the weather heats up.

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

2.89/5  rDev -25.3%

as stated earlier it had a huge head due to over carbonation but did leave nice lacing

nose was different and i picked up carmelized sugar and an astringent note.

the taste followed with some nice sweet malts, chocolate powder and some resinous hops. the only thing that holds this beer to sub par for me was the astringent finish that mixed with a hop bite. not sure what is going on but it was not subtle and lingered.

mouth feel was solid and drinkability good.

overall not one I would get again but not a bad brown minus the astringency.

4.03/5  rDev +4.1%

I picked up a Bottle of Clown Shoes Brown Angel a couple weeks ago for $6.49 at The lager Mill. So far I think Clown Shoes is a pretty solid brewery and after reading the description of this beer I thought it sounded like something I might like and I took a chance on it, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, 2013 Vintage. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks good, in typical Clown Shoes fashion it's edgy and eye catching I like it. It poured a pretty dark brown color that took on a slight mahogany hue when held to the light with three fingers worth of slightly darker tan head that died down to a thick and clumpy ring that stayed till the end and it left tons of stick lacing behind. This is a very good looking beer, the color, head, and lacing were all very good.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount of malt that imparts a brown bread, toasted malt, light biscuit, and a lighter caramel malt aroma that makes for a nice malt base. Up next comes a medium nutty aroma followed by a good amount of hops that impart a floral, earthy, and spicy hop aroma with all three aspects showing up equally. This beer had a pretty good aroma, I thought the balance was pretty good with neither the malts or the hops being too overpowering.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by a just the right amount of malts that impart a nice toasted malt and brown bread flavors with some light caramel malts and biscuit malts showing up in the background. Up next comes a slightly lighter nutty flavors that's followed by just enough hops that impart the same earthy, spicy, and floral aspect that I got in the aroma, but this time the earthy and spicy hops seem to stick out a little more than the floral hops. On the finish there's a light amount of bitterness that is almost bordering on being medium and it had a malty, nutty, and slightly hoppy aftertaste. This was a pretty good tasting beer, just like the aroma the balance was the star of the show and it really worked well with this beer.

M- Smooth, clean, fairly crisp, a little dry, on the slightly thicker side of being medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty good and it worked very well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer, and very nice example of a hoppy brown ale, it had pretty much everything that I look for in the style and it kind of reminded me of Short's Good Humans, which is a good thing. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, clean, not too filing and the taste did a good job at holding my attention, I would have no problem drinking a bomber to myself and if I was really in the mood for this style I could see myself drinking a couple of bottles without getting tired of it. What I liked the most about this beer beer was the balance, it was pretty much prefect and no aspect was too overpowering. What I liked the least about this beer was that the nutty flavor didn't come through a little more, but it wasn't that big of a deal, but I think it would make it a slightly better beer. I would buy this beer again, It wouldn't be something I buy a lot of but having a bottle in the fridge for when I'm in the mood for a hoppy brown ale would be a good thing. I would recommend this to anyone who doesn't mind their Brown Ales on the hoppier side. All in all I was happy with this beer, it was just what I wanted it to be and I thought it was pretty enjoyable. Good job Clown Shoes, this beer was just what I needed, keep up the good work.

Brown Angel from Clown Shoes