Brown Angel | Clown Shoes

Massachusetts, United States
clownshoesbeer.com

Style: American Brown Ale

Added by mduncan on 03-04-2010

It was the best nut brown ale I have ever had

4.98/5  rDev +29.7%

I really enjoyed this beer because it is so smooth and easy to drink.
This beer has a wonderful coffee and malty aroma to it and the taste has a great mix of hops, chocolate, nutty, and citrus. This beer has a great balance between bitterness and that full body nutty flavor.

4.91/5  rDev +27.9%

Bottled last week of January 2011:

Out of a 22 ounce bomber and into a pint glass:

A: deep brown colored body with a light cream colored one finger head leaving some nice ringy lacing. The body is too dark for any carbonation to be seen

S: nuts and roasty chocolates with some slight caramels backing that up. A bit of brown sugar comes in with the hops telling you that this is a beer.

T: superb with a roasty, sweet, malty caramel, chocolate flavor. The nuttiness doesn't take any backseat as it powers through into the taste, everything is there.

M: medium but still well done between wet and dry on the tongue. It is very smooth and creamy, just like any Brown should be.

O: there is barely a single thing I can say that is bad on this, this is an exceptionally well done beer. I know I'm biased towards browns, but is this really this good?

4.87/5  rDev +26.8%

A: I like the look, dark and rich.. head was just perfect for this pour.
S: Oh, coffee and chocolate...
T: It was like drinking a light chocolate coffee, with hints of hops that sneak in at the end.
M: As you drink, it goes from smooth to a little bite, with full blends coming out as you swallow..
O: I am a lover of the darker ladies, so when one recommend this to me, I had to try. She was spot on, name says it all... My lady friend is now my Brown Angel...

4.8/5  rDev +25%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a nice thick rich brown with a creamy and sturdy head that leaves behind some lacing.

Smell: The smell is a bit nutty with the thick rich scents of coffee and malt and almost reminds me of molasses.

Taste: The taste of this beer starts out with a hint of citrus and fruity notes which quickly become a malty roasted flavor. Upon swallowing, there are hoppy and bitter flavors that turn sweet at the last second of exhaling.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with the perfect amount of carbonation. It definitely has a smooth creamy feel as you swish it around a bit.

Overall: This beer is quite fantastic. The complex flavors and smells are blended together wonderfully and I will definitely be keeping this beer in mind this summer.

4.77/5  rDev +24.2%

This is NOT your old school brown, but rather a sexy american interpretation.

22 oz bomber seriously sexy label.

A: Dark dark brown with hints of garnet red in the sunlight.

S: Smells really good with nutty malts upfront and a strong hop backbone thats rare with a brown ale. ( in other words smells AWESOME!)

T: The taste might possibly knock the socks right off of you, it has a brown ale taste up front but the amazing hops dominate the finish for a 1 of a kind taste.

M: The Mouthfeel is very pleasent as this brew quenches my thirst as well being somewhat dry. spot on carbonation as well.

D: I could drink this beer for many different occasions, an amazing brown ale indeed I highly recommend to anybody.

4.73/5  rDev +23.2%

I have really enjoyed all of the clown shoes beer I have tried so far, as I have been making my way through the line up. The first two beers were abrasive, but in a good way. this one is just a bitter brown!

A deep dark mahogony is topped by a beutiful tan head that took forever to drop, leaving fin lace.
The smell is of chocolate, almonds, toast, and piney grapefruity hops. Complex. Awesome. The taste is even better, as I found those flavors mixed really well to make a very easy drinking beer coming in at 7%.

This is a great brown ale. Highly reccomended!

4.71/5  rDev +22.7%

Very drinkable brown ale with rich coffee flavors. Floral nose works well. Perfect body that fits the heaviness. One finger width caramel colored head. Underrated imo and I love brown ales.

4.68/5  rDev +21.9%

4.63/5  rDev +20.6%

Really excited by so many great new locals. I loved hoppy feet and I enjoyed this more, need to try a bottle. Had on cask at Stoddard's. The appearance was murky and dark brown with spidery lacing hanging out on the side of the glass. The smell was a little subdued, but I got lots of coffee, chocolate, and some fresh hops. The taste was fantastic. Like a chocolate, coffee, toffee bar. Smooth, creamy, wondreful. If the river was Brown Angel, and I was a divin' duck...

4.63/5  rDev +20.6%

Clown Shoes Brown Angel is a dim, reddish brown ale with a thick, bubbly, yellowish foam that lasts all night and leaves solid foam on the glass. It has a chocolate and coffee aroma with a good dose of citrus, grass and perfume. It's pretty full bodied, super silky and smooth. The finish is soft and delicate. It leaves the mouth feeling almost a little tingly, like after eating a mint. It has a nice, full, well-blended, well-balanced flavor. It's very chocolatey with some dark roast coffee. The hops provide just enough bitterness to zip the taste up and keep me coming back for another sip. It tastes a little wooden, but not resiny. There's a hint of lemon peel. There seems to be a hint of mint at the finish. Wow, I don't know if I've ever had a brown ale like this before. This is straight-up delicious. I can't put this beer down and when it's empty, I'm going to cry.

4.62/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very nice brown ale. Good flavor.

4.62/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Great for a brown ale. Lots of flavor, great looking beer with a creamy head and awesome lacing. Mouthfeel is great. I know I rated this higher than others but compared to other brown ales out there I think this rating is justified.

4.6/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Great brown ale from Clown Shoes!

A: Mahogany. Big fluffy head that goes down slowly and leaves sticky lace.

S: Nutty, dank, raosty hops and caramel. really complex.

T: Hoppier than the nose, but as it warmed a beautiful core of coffee and chocolate malt cmae though.

M: Well carbonated and creamy.

D: Drank two like nothing. great beer!

4.59/5  rDev +19.5%

This beer pours a murky golden brown color with a moderate amount of yellowy tan head.

On the nose I pick up on sweet and bready malts, its got a lovely toasty note that weaves its way into the rest of the thick aroma.

Flavor wise its more of the same, sweet bready and toasty malts. There is a very slight bitter hoppy note in the middle.

It has a crisp finish with a little more carbonation than I like, aftertaste is on the bitter side.

4.54/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Is this a typical brown ale? No. It is rather an extrapolation of the style. I must admit myself suspicious of the term 'double' applied to a brown ale, but this certainly justifies the term. It remains Brown Ale-like, and does not spread into the real of porter or strong ale. Nutty, malty, gorgeous. Yum.

4.52/5  rDev +17.7%

4.52/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%