Brown Angel | Clown Shoes

Massachusetts, United States
clownshoesbeer.com

Style: American Brown Ale

Added by mduncan on 03-04-2010

Chestnut brown body with slight haze. Fluffy beige head leaves sporadic, droopy lace. On the nose I get light roast, some brown malts and a little sourness. Flavor is malt centric with caramel/roasted blend of flavors. Again, I perceive a little sourness, acidity... which is not very welcomed by me. Body is medium at best. LIghtly carbonated. Very average.

3.03/5  rDev -21.1%

Served from a 22oz bottle into a chilled pint glass.

A - Pours with a decent, though coarse, tan head. It dissipates fairly quickly, leaving a caramel colored beer. Its surprisingly reminiscent of more opaque Coke. There is a drawing of a mostly-naked gorgeous ... well, brown angel on the label. She's wearing clown shoes, which is a little odd.

S - The best quality of this beer. Complex, bready or toasty, some plum or toffee, chocolate and coffee. Minimal hop aroma. Comforting, this would be great in late fall.

T - More coffee and chocolate than in a classic brown. Some of the astringency normally associated with residual sugars of a porter or stout. Frankly, this beer is a lot like porter in a brown's body. "Double" brown doesn't really cover it.

M - Medium, average, nothing to write home about. A little light considering its a 7% beer. Heavy in the front of the mouth, but still goes down easy.

D - The beer isn't really for me. Aftertaste is an unpleasant combination of astringency and sweetness. However, it was smooth and had the low carbonation characteristic of the style.

3.04/5  rDev -20.8%

Pours a massive head almost overflowing into a Massive Duvel tulip however there is not enough space for a decent pour in this glass. Pure head pure and simple here. Appears to have not been fully attenuated before bottling.

Aroma of malty resin, large pine hopping dose with some citrus and also plenty of molasses aroma.

Taste of strong caramel, brown malt, molasses, some cocoa.
Yea its a double brown ale, but really I think it was an under-attenuated mess that was bottled and then overcarbed in the bottle. I read in a different review that someone tasted unfermented wort flavors. I feel like I actually got a similar impression however I think it may be more with the molasses character and or this recipe used some Dry Malt Extract. In any case, I am not really impressed by this beer.

Light body, over carbonated, not great on flavor. There are better american browns out there.

3.06/5  rDev -20.3%

A-Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a pint glass. Pours a dark reddish brown color with a index finger width creamy head. Nice looking brew.

S-Real malty smell. Roasted nuts and heavy cream come to mind as well. Had to really reach to get the smell down, nothing really jumped out at me.

T-Roasted nuts and creamy taste. Mild hop character in the after taste.

M-Super thick, very chewy.

O-Overall I'm a tad disappointed. I've been dying to try this beer and didn't really live up to the hype for me. It's a good beer, but not a great one.

3.09/5  rDev -19.5%

A: Pours out a rich dark mahogany. There are slight hues or dark reds through the beer and about two full fingers of light khaki colored head. The foam settles fairly quickly leaving some big lacing along the edges of the glass.

S: The nose is roasted malt, seaweed, prunes, and booze. This beer might be a bit old, and it kinda smells that way. It's a weird mix of scents.

T: The initial hit is stale bread, roasted malt, a bit of sweetness, and a good amount of booze. It starts out ok, but I really lose it in the middle and the finish. I'm missing that familiar roast/nuttiness that brown ales are known for.

M: Medium bodied beer. It starts and finish pretty dry. This might be caused by the higher ABV, but I'm not sure.

O: Not a fan of this beer. The flavors are just way off, and the higher alcohol level doesn't really help this brew out. I don't think I'd buy it again.

3.09/5  rDev -19.5%

22oz bomber poured into a tulip glass. This one pours a muddied-water brown; looks like coca-cola. A massive caramel/mocha colored head quickly rises, and rises, and rises until it overflows the glass; holy carbonation. Pretty good lacing is left on the sides of the glass after the head finally dissolves.

Not a very good nose on this guy. I am missing the caramel, malt and nut aromas I want to have.The nose is the faintest roasted malts and a heavier amount of hops than I was expecting. A slight citrus/tangerine is picked up on from the hops I think.

Taste is slightly better than the nose indicates. There is some sweet malt evident, roasty, and again quite hoppy with a citrus profile.

This one has a medium body and ample carbonation. Dry and bitter on the finish. This is one brown ale that didn't really impress me; not bad but I probably will not be heading back for another one.

3.1/5  rDev -19.3%

Thanks to DrAwkward82 for sharing this one at drewone’s tasting.

Bottled 4/2011.

Pours a murky brown with an explosively large khaki head that eventually settles to a thin cap on top of the beer. Small streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of toasted malt and nutty aromas. Taste is very much the same with a medium amount of bitterness with each sip. This beer has a very high level of carbonation that is just too much. Overall, this is a pretty average beer as it stands and I think there may be a slight infection issue with the huge head and extreme carbonation that this particular bottle has.

3.11/5  rDev -19%

A - deep brown almost black with some ruby edges in the light, 2 finger off white creamy head on top, shows slight retention.

A - toasted malt, biscuty, a litte hops in the back, not a lot of sweetness i was expecting this aroma i can say is underwhelming for me.

T - a thin easy drinking brown ale, then out of nowhere you get kicked in the teeth by the hops, i guess that was their american twist on things, the toasted malt is abundant, a subtle burnt flavor, pecans here but i was wanting some pralines, not a lot of brown sugar which for some reason i was hoping for there are suggestions of some dark unsweet fruits...the hops in the end i guess improve the weak beer but if it was done better in the first place i wouldn't enjoy the hop profile of this one.

M - pretty thin ill give it just under medium bodied, carbonation is on point and this beer is very drinkable.

O - for the double brown ale label i was defintely expecting more than this...its not bad, i just had higher expectations and really wanted a sweeter beer and i usually don't want sweet, the only reason im finishing it is because i strained my neck working out and want to fall asleep quickly, anyway i would recommend this to few but to some....

3.15/5  rDev -18%

Pours a medium bodied chestnut, the minimal head lasts, however.
The nose surprised me, as it is dominated by the hops, with a roasty malt below.
The taste has much of the nose to it, as it was much hoppier than I expected. The toasty malts do come through in the middle, and a little bit of black coffee perhaps?
Has a chewier body to it than it looked like it would, and is well carbonated.
This, frankly, wasn't really what I was expecting. It's not a bad beer, it just wasn't what I was expecting. Even if it were available in my area (which it is not), I probably wouldn't get it again, but would certainly drink it if I happened to have it around. Check it out if you really want to, but no need to go out of your way.

3.18/5  rDev -17.2%

Poured into a mug. Bottled March 2011. Big thanks to Hojaminbag for this.

4.5 A: Clear (I think) dark brown color. Initially three fingers of creamy beige head. The first two fingers falls at an average pace, while the last finger sticks around for a long time. Good amount of irregular lacing as well.

4.0 S: Quite interesting. This is the second brew I've ever had that reminded me of unfermented wort (the other was Brooklyn Local 1), though obviously not as sweet. Specifically, it smells like a well hopped wort. Beyond that initial impression, I'm picking up a solid amount of nuts and toffee with caramel underneath. Pithy toastiness, if that makes sense. Raw, resiny hops. I think the wort smell works pretty well with the style.

2.5 T: Unfortunately, the wort element is also in the taste and it doesn't work too well. My other gripe is that it's a bit too bitter for my tastes. The positive is that the nuttiness returns in a big way with toffee and caramel playing second fiddle. A good amount of toastiness with earthy hop flavor.

3.5 M: Medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Reasonably creamy. Bitter aftertaste.

3.0 D: Definitely a big of a strange brew. Not necessarily bad, but I'd really have to be in the mood for that worty taste for me to want to drink that. I usually get my fill of that, however, from sampling homebrew at various stages in the process.

3.18/5  rDev -17.2%