Brown Angel | Clown Shoes

Style: American Brown Ale

Added by mduncan on 03-04-2010

Reviews: 242 | Ratings: 677
4.59/5  rDev +18.6%

This beer pours a murky golden brown color with a moderate amount of yellowy tan head.

On the nose I pick up on sweet and bready malts, its got a lovely toasty note that weaves its way into the rest of the thick aroma.

Flavor wise its more of the same, sweet bready and toasty malts. There is a very slight bitter hoppy note in the middle.

It has a crisp finish with a little more carbonation than I like, aftertaste is on the bitter side.

2.89/5  rDev -25.3%

as stated earlier it had a huge head due to over carbonation but did leave nice lacing

nose was different and i picked up carmelized sugar and an astringent note.

the taste followed with some nice sweet malts, chocolate powder and some resinous hops. the only thing that holds this beer to sub par for me was the astringent finish that mixed with a hop bite. not sure what is going on but it was not subtle and lingered.

mouth feel was solid and drinkability good.

overall not one I would get again but not a bad brown minus the astringency.

3.55/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

22 oz bomber into a pint glass...my friend brought this to a party along with a couple other beers from this brewery.

Nice frothy head over a reasonably pale brown body. Not straw, but not too dark for a brown ale. I kind of like that. It is supposed to be brown after all, not black.

Decent malt complexity in the smell with some good balancing hop notes. Not much yeast character, but that's ok for the style.

It's good on the tongue. Refreshing and not hard to finish at all. Good malt notes.

I like this beer and would recommend trying it.

3.38/5  rDev -12.7%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a pint glass.
Semi-clear brown with an orange tint when held to the light. Khaki head, 1/4-1/8" with pretty good retention. Leaves some persistent lacing.
Smell is hop dominant, orange/tangerine zest, some pine. A little bit of earthiness and some light floral scents.
The taste follows with hop forward notes, like orange oil & citrus zest, some dry pine sap. Long bitter, dry finish, bordering on unpleasant. A very small touch of caramel and cocoa if you look for it. If I tasted this blind I would've thought it was a pale ale, very little malt presence.
Nice texture, comes on thick and soft and ends light & dry.
I thought it was a decent beer but it wasn't a double brown ale, and didn't deliver the "layer upon layer" of malt the bottle talks about. Way too hopped out for me, but I guess a lot of people like that.

3.88/5  rDev +0.3%

I specifically bought this due to the recent BS regarding the "sexist, racist" label. So, the old adage "there's no such thing as bad press" lives on.

Poured into a DFH glass a dark mahogany with a nice fluffy dark tan head that laces well.

Nose of dark sweet malts, lightly nutty with a layer of alcohol.

A sip is smooth and lightly carbonated - darker, subtly roasted malt flavor - rich but not sweet, a bit of pine/earthy hop presence sticks through the finish with a bit of warming alcohol.

Solid beer. I'm borderline offended by the "controversy" of late. It's a sexy brown-skinned woman with angel wings and clown shoes. How is that offensive? This is just beer, get real.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Sweet crystal malts

bakers chocolate

nutty

slightly tangy acid note very very slight almost vanishing

toffee

this forms head very easily you need to careful when pouring this. It is very unique amongst brown ales.

Hops are present but blend with the malt very well

floral qualities

approaching boozy

well carbonated but not ridiculously

4.08/5  rDev +5.4%

A: dark Brown,Red with 2 fingers of a mocha, bubbly head. Carbonation looks really nice, the head dissipates somewhat quickly, leaving some nice lacing around the sides of the glass

S: Mocha, coffee, chocolate, spices (peppery, floral notes), citrus notes, pretty complicated and I like it. There is a solvent like characteristic too

T: Huge chocolate notes, with some toffee and caramel backing it. Some bready malts are also there too. At The end of the tongue there is a pricklyness from the hops and a slight citrusy, grassy, floral presence from them. Really nice depth of flavor.

M: Medium bodied, with a lot of carbonation, it finishes pretty dry. The carbonation is really nice, and the tingle from it plays with the prickly hop bitterness really well.

O: Overall this is a really really nice beer, I would drink it again. not a typical brown ale, but pushes the limits of style guidelines and ended up really nice

3.35/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A: Brown and slightly see through.

S: Malt and hops is what I'm getting. Not much else.

T: I guess I wasn't in the mood for a brown ale, or maybe I just don't like this beer. I get brown sugar, malt, must, sweet chocolate, hops, and some graham cracker.

M: Medium with good carb.

O: Not the best by Clown Shoes. It could be the style, as I have not had it in a long while. I was disappointed.

4.34/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Looks like a cola with a 2-inch tan collar when poured. The head is creamy. Very nice nose with suggestions of hazel nuts, coddled cream, and candied almonds. Medium full body. Nice, long lingering with dried fruit and nutty notes. Definitely moreish. Slight residue of yeast allowing the last of the pour some cloudiness. Somewhat sweet, but nicely balanced with some hoppy bitterness. The hops are mostly subdued but play an important background role. Nice Belgian lace. It would be a pity if this beer indeed is retired, however, I just purchased it and I would buy this again!

4.05/5  rDev +4.7%

Clown Shoes: Brown Angel (No bottling date) (Tasted 04/28/10)
22 oz. bottle, poured into a cervoise goblet.

Appearance: Extremely dark brown beer, maybe ten steps shy of opaque, with a fluffy off-white head, composed of big soapy bubbles. Retention is minimal, but the head leaves lots of bubbles sticking around the edges of the glass.
Odor: Juicy citric hops hit the nose, orange and tangerine with hints of earth and red fruit in the background.
Consistency: Light end of medium bodied, very clean and slick with a subtle carbonation, just enough to bring out the hops but not enough to contribute much to the feel in and of itself. Nutty yeast and hop bitterness add a mildly astringent, dry feel.
Flavor: Citric hops in front, sweet orange nectar from the Amarillo, and pine/grapefruit bitterness from the Columbus. Blanket of malt in the background, expressing toasted bread and hints of baker's chocolate. Pale malts blossom for a brief second in the finish, contributing a flash of sweetness. Chocolate and nutty yeast flavors go toastier light coating of grapefruit hops linger on the tongue.

Very solid hop-forward brown from some local folks who live and breath beer. Label art is tremendous.

4.06/5  rDev +4.9%

Clown Shoes. New to Minnesota. Grabbed a bottle today after reading the label and thinking it sounded pretty good. Hoppy brown ale. Why not? It's brown, so far so good. Smells really nice. Very fruity and hay like, almost reminds me of a well hopped pilsener oddly enough. Slight "brown" aroma as well. Toasty and roasty. A bit of cold press coffee there. Hops at the vanguard. Citrus, floral and grassy. Well defined. Fruit contribution seems to come from the yeast. Subtle apple/pear esters. The "brown" is mellow. Faintly roasty. Shit, I've had black IPA that was roastier than this beer. There is a caramel character in there that's adds a nice layer to the hops. Transitions into a wonderful bitter, estery finish. Great body, carbonation and mouthfeel. Just perfect. This is one hoppy brown ale and I'm glad I picked it up. Not the first Clown Shoes beer I've enjoyed and I'm sure not my last.

3.72/5  rDev -3.9%

Thanks to beerlover4ever (he barely logs onto BA, but he's getting a shoutout anyways, dammit!) for this fresh bottle!

A - medium brown color with a tan head that remains throughout. A couple fingers of real thin lacing is hanging out with me while I drink this.

S - Citrus, caramel, nuts, slight alcohol.

T - First taste was fridge temperature, all the flavors seemed muddled and the carbonation was killing me, so I let it warm up. At around 60 degrees, this was highly enjoyable. Some of the usual brown flavors are there - caramel, nuts, roastiness - then I'm hit with probably the most aggressive hop presence I've ever had in a brown ale. The hops add fantastic lemon and pine flavors which finishes up the overall flavor very nicely. I was hoping for a little extra sweetness here, any at all. Hardly any sweetness showed up at all, so if you're into a dry, hopped up brown, this is your beer.

M - Medium to thin bodied, carbonation is very nice when it warms up, though at fridge temp it was a bit overcarbed for me.

D - a bomber was easy to put away, and I would drink more if I had it.

3.37/5  rDev -12.9%

Brewed the first week of February, 2011 (I didn't see the date when I picked up the bottle)

A: Nice dark brownish red color with a sood white head.

S: Some roast, brown sugar, and hops. Really nice.

T: A nice mild roastiness up front without a lot of sweetness. Then comes an odd, unpleasant flavor I can't put my finger on--almost plastic--followed by bitter, earthy and piney hops. The hops and malt don't come together, and the hops take over at the end. The beer isn't unbalanced, though, it's just that the flavors don't come together enough for balance to be a relavant concept.

M: Thinner than I would have liked, especially given the abv.

O: I like a good hoppy brown ale more than most, but this one doesn't do it for me. And the flavor really doesn't justify the abv. Maybe I should try a fresher bottle, but at the bomber price I probably won't.

3.95/5  rDev +2.1%

22 oz bomber poured into a big old stein.

Tons of tannish foamy head that lasted for a looong time. Dark brown, murky body with some sediment at the bottom.

Smell hits you right away with hops. Really nice for a brown. Of course there are malt scents as well, especially after the initial shock of the hops wears off. Nice and roasty - coffee, chocolate roast.

Tastes really good. In addition to the upfront coffee malts and the underlying hops, there's a hearty nutty flavor. I think the nuts and the hops go well together. This brown ale has a lot of layers to it - like an ogre.

Kind of heavy, but that's to be expected. The flavors are so cool that I drank a lot of it pretty quickly, but I wouldn't want to drink a sixer of this or anything like that. A very well done beer though.

Cheers.

3.88/5  rDev +0.3%

It's always good to see new beers come in and once I saw Clown Shoes beers I thought it'd be a good idea to pick one up. And what man wouldn't buy a beer with a lovely black female angel on it?

The head of the Brown Angel is a light brown color, bubbly, and has fair retention but bubbles away fairly quickly. The beer itself is an opaque brown-ruby color.

My lack of smell info should be excused because I had a bit of a cold when I drank the beer. That being said, there was a lot of brown sugary sweetness, cinnamon, and a bit of roastiness.

The beer is very tasty. It has brown sugar and caramel sweetness, the malts are toasty, there's some nutty roastiness, and just a tad of hop bitterness. Not too complex but yummy.

Medium-low carbonation keeps the Brown Angel very smooth throughout and the sweetness makes it a bit syrupy.

3.37/5  rDev -12.9%

Pours out a medium brown beer, huge ass head, i didnt pour too hard to induce it either.Smells very nice , has major porter scents to it, coffee,roasted scent. Tastes rather like a porter also, not that i care, its good.Semi sweet ,malty, hoppy. An ok beer as i get closer to finishing the bottle, im beginning to find it a bit average.

4.25/5  rDev +9.8%

A: Dark brown with a nice creamy white foam head that sticks around throughout the beer and laces the sides of the glass nicely

S: Very nice aroma of rich malts with a great roast flavor that is somewhat sweet. The hops play very nicely with the malt and are very apparent, but stand behind the malt and don't over power the smell

T: Has a very nice roasted taste at the beginning, but switches to a hop bitterness in the middle and ends with a very nice smooth flavor at the end (somewhat like Bells Two Hearted). There is a roasted/bitter aftertaste left in your mouth when you are done

M: Medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Thicker than most browns, which is nice and gives it a better overall flavor

O: My first Clown Shoes brew and I'm pretty impressed. I will be telling people to try this one because its not your average lackluster brown ale that you will typically find in the market.

2.54/5  rDev -34.4%

A: Poured a nice dark brown into the glass. Thick head that diminished to respectable skim. Minor lacing.

S: I just dont get much. Some light pine, brownie and burnt bread. All very light.

T: Strong bitterness overwhelms a light burnt bread. Charred sugar and a piney finish.

M: Mild and medium.

O: The beer came across like a screeching bitter bomb with little roasted malt or other flavors. Felt unbalanced and over hopped. I cant say I will reach for another.

3.53/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Dark brown with about a finger of light brown head.

S - The alcohol is a little present, but there's also hints of brown sugar.

T - There's a lot of roasted malts and bitterness in the taste. It's fairly good, but there seems like there's something missing from it.

M - Slightly watery, not what I would hope for in a brown like this.

Overall, a pretty good beer, but it's just missing a certain something.

3.09/5  rDev -20.2%

22oz bomber poured into a tulip glass. This one pours a muddied-water brown; looks like coca-cola. A massive caramel/mocha colored head quickly rises, and rises, and rises until it overflows the glass; holy carbonation. Pretty good lacing is left on the sides of the glass after the head finally dissolves.

Not a very good nose on this guy. I am missing the caramel, malt and nut aromas I want to have.The nose is the faintest roasted malts and a heavier amount of hops than I was expecting. A slight citrus/tangerine is picked up on from the hops I think.

Taste is slightly better than the nose indicates. There is some sweet malt evident, roasty, and again quite hoppy with a citrus profile.

This one has a medium body and ample carbonation. Dry and bitter on the finish. This is one brown ale that didn't really impress me; not bad but I probably will not be heading back for another one.

3.94/5  rDev +1.8%

A dark caramel brown with a thick white head that continues to last while lacing the glass. At first you smell the typical malty scent of a brown ale but then followed quickly by the piney smell of hops. The beer is well balanced with the beginning of a toasty sweet malt flavor followed quickly with a nice balance with the piney hops.

3.92/5  rDev +1.3%

A: Deep dark transparent brown color pours to three fingers of nice light brownish/tan colored head that really sticks around and clings the entire way down the glass.

S: Very aromatic roasted malts. Nice caramel and toffee flavors along with some nice citrus piney hops scents. Very enjoyable.

T: Chocolate roasted malt right from the get go with some other dark roasted malt flavors. Leads into the piney hops that was observed on the nice. Very slight piney hops but leads into a nice hop bitterness that balances it all out.

M: Medium carbonation works well with the roasted malt and hop bitterness. Leaves a light creamy feeling on the palette that moves to very slight dryness at the end.

O: Very nice brown ale. Bit more bitterness then i expected but it worked well with the dark roasted malts. Clown Shoes keeps kicking out nice brews and this is no exception.

4.01/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Definitely fits the definition of a big beer for me, dark brown color, strong amount of foam that is like a cappuccino, reduces to a small amount of covering lacing the top of the beer.

Strong beer all around, taste wise, consistency, and alcohol-wise.

This is like other brown ales I've had but hopped up on steroids. It's good though, strong malts resonate throughout, has almost a syrup like quality to it, reminds me of Arrogant Bastard in more ways than one, I am feeling that right now, but you can also taste the hops as well. Definitely not a session beer for me, but I like what they've done with it.

Tastes like Arrogant Bastard combined with a brown ale to me, I don't think they were doing it on purpose, but that is how it comes across to me. It is disguised as a brown ale because it has different malt and has that coffee taste to it.

4.3/5  rDev +11.1%

Review from notes taken on 5/8/2010: Thanks again to Reagan1984 for another bottle from this new brewery. Pours a medium brown color with a thin light tan head that quickly dissipates leaving little lacing. A nice mix in the aroma; coffee, roasted malt, and citrus hops are all present. Definitely a solid hop presence, making for a very inviting American Brown. Aroma lends itself nicely the flavor, with a sweet malt backbone supporting the delicious citrus flavors from the hops. Rather light mouthfeel, and seems pretty highly attenuated. I really enjoyed this beer, as I am really warming to American Browns in general. Once again, looking forward to more from this new brewery.

4.05/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured from a cask into my pint glass. Furious cloud of activity with a flat brown color, the cask ale definitely looks unfiltered. Not too much head but good lacing on the glass.

Not much aroma to be had, but it being a brown and having this in a BBQ joint I didn't hold this against it. The taste opens up with a very smooth and sweet malty flavor, then the hops kick in. The bitterness from the hops makes its presence known but isn't so strong that it overpowers the malt. The result is a nice sweet taste up front, with a snappy finish. Hops flavor quickly fades on the aftertaste and doesn't linger longer than it is welcome. The medium body agrees with this style, with enough substance to make itself known but not feeling too sticky.

The balance is great and I could definitely drink a few of these. The sweet malt and hoppy taste blend together well and then fades at the end so as not to overpower your taste buds.

Brown Angel from Clown Shoes