Clementine | Clown Shoes

Alströms:
3.7

Ratings: 1,156 |  Reviews: 295

4.92/5  rDev +30.9%

Now this is my type of beer!! I love the label, but that was just the start. It really is the perfect beer on a hot day when you're looking for something refreshing. My new "summer beer" of choice.

The appearance of this one is a hazy straw, golden-white with a fairly thick head. A few laces of the head remained after a while.

The nose is perfect. I picked up a lot of the "clementine" notes in the form of citrus acidity, like a scraped orange skin. This, however, was not the base of this beer like it can be with a lot of fruit-infused beers. I also got some bready yeast, and a decent amount of delicious smelling floral hops. I was definitely excited to try the beer.

The mouthfeel delivered! I got all the aspects I picked up in the nose from the refreshing citrus body to the hints of cooling hops.

This is a beer that I am definitely going to pick up again and again. Great package, even better product. Like I said before, my new summer beer!

4.84/5  rDev +28.7%

4.81/5  rDev +27.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A little too hoppy in aftertaste for me. Color a nice straw yellow with a few bubbles rising. Not much of av head, at least in this pour.

4.79/5  rDev +27.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Fruity, malty sweetness with some taste of orange, tropical fruit, banana and wheat.

4.76/5  rDev +26.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Excellent beer. Amazing smell. Great mouthfeel. Tasty.

Hazy light orange. Fluffy white head.
Smell is straight orange, tangerine, peach some wheat. Fluffy body. Excellent.

4.7/5  rDev +25%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I went into this with a bit of skepticism as witbiers and fruitiness are usually not my thing.

Pour into a glass. Nice head, very lively out of the bottle. No lacing, and not a substantial amount of retention, usual for the style.

Beautifully aromatic. The sweet orange zest is noticeable but not overpowering, bit a of coriander spice in there.

First sip changed my mind about the style! Again, the orange taste is not at all overpowering in the way I expect from beers marketed as specifically fruity. I find it pleasantly balanced between mild sweetness and tartness. There is some good structure to the beer, supported by the breadiness. I'm used to these running too thin or lacking substance.

Bravo, clown shoes!

4.69/5  rDev +24.7%

A: Orange/gold/hazy/small quickly fading head/some lacing

S: Wow: smells like hoppy orange juice. Yeasty too.

T: Citrus, a surprising hop bite, spice, really well balanced

M: Excellent, just a little thick, but also smooth and well carbonated

D: Excellent drinkability

4.68/5  rDev +24.5%

Appearance - Orange hazey color

Smell - Citrus aroma

Taste - Tastes Citrusy with some mild carbonation at first then followed up with a creamy clementine and orangy aftertaste

Mouthfeel - mild carbonation and goes down smooth

Overall - I would have to say that Clown Shoes Clementine is easily one of my favorite witbiers. Perfect summer time beer. If you enjoy a nice white ale, then I highly recommend giving this beer a try.

4.67/5  rDev +24.2%

Clementine is by far my favorite beer out of the Clown Shoe's batches.

While I am partial to belgian whites and saisons which is what this beer's smell reminded me of. Unlike other citrus flavored beers that use orange and clementine peels this one comes with the most refreshing kick from the nice spicy hop that you get in the after taste. It is both the perfect blend of sweet and bitter that can be enjoyed in any season.

I get excited when I see this beer on tap at a bar and that is how a great beer should make you feel!

4.65/5  rDev +23.7%

22 oz bottle, no freshness date. 6% abv

Thanks to Gregg B. for the awesome samples.

Pours a bright cloudy sunset orange bubbly carbonation, fast rising white head holds retention and some lacing clings to the glass on its journey to my gullet.

Sweet orange peel and spicy coriander are definitely present with a nice wheat like complexity.

Taste is amazing. Straight up sweet orange and spice, the yeast adds an excellent flavour. This is a thirst quencher for sure seriously the perfect choice on a hot summers day.

Mouthfeel is light but with just enough carbonation. not dry at all in the finish leaving a citrusy bite in your mouth

Clown Shoes Clementine is an extremely drinkable beer, i wish they made 6 packs!

Considering im not a big fan of this style of beer it really impressed. Like an Allagash white with more of a citrusy kick to it.

4.63/5  rDev +23.1%

Poured out of a 22 oz bottle into a tall hefeweizen glass. Strong head that rose and dissipated quickly, leaving a light lace. Looked a beautiful light orange color, which you couldnt see through.

Smelled of citrus, coriander, and hops -- much stronger hops than normal witbiers.

Taste was fantastic, again strong citrus and hops flavor, with the former in the front of the mouth and the latter in the back, leaving a delightful bitter aftertaste.

Very fizzy in the mouth, almost like an old school orange soda. Really a pleasant sensation.

A very well done beer. Love the citrus plus hops flavor. Definitely could have a few of these on a nice warm day.

4.62/5  rDev +22.9%

22 Oz bottle, date Late April, 2011. The beer pours a hazy straw color with a thick head and decent lace. The smell is fairly complex. I detect orange, bananas, spice (coriander?), and a pleasant bready smell. The taste is the best part of the beer. You can actually taste a hint of clementine, as well as a pithy orange flavor, and then a good bit of spice and a light wheat body. The beer is well carbonated and more dry than most wheat beers. Great beer for a hot day of yard work.

4.57/5  rDev +21.5%

Had this on draft recently at Deep Ellum in Allston. Have been avoiding it even though i love clown shoes because I am not a fan of the style. This was the best wit I have tried. When it gets hot, i can actually see this in my fridge regularly.

The beer is almost orange and is beautifully hazy with a thin quickly receding head. It smells of fresh dough, oranges, and clementines. The taste matches, with some pleasant bitterness coming through, Great mouthfee, smooth and silken, and even more drinkable.

4.54/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Now this is what I’m talking about. Strong fruity flavors, but still finishes with hops. Not too intense, but light enough that it’s a great summer beer and extremely drinkable. A great example of how to brew a Witbier and finally I've found an American brewery that can do it well with some identity compared to the German breweries.

4.53/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.5/5  rDev +19.7%

I am a huge wheat beer guy and this ranks up there as one of the best. I will admit that before purchasing this I cheated and read a review saying it was good. Usually I like to go in unbiased and blind.

I bought a large 22oz. Bottle of this and poured into a large pint glass. Very citrusy smell, hence the name clementine. This had more of an organgy citrus taste as opposed to some other Belgians which taste more lemony. This pours to a hazy yellow color, seems to be unfiltered and about 1/3 of white head and 2/3 liquid. Good carbonation. Overall a very awesome tasting witbier. One of the best domestics. Not sure about the other clown shoes beers but this one is excellent.

Clementine from Clown Shoes