Clementine | Clown Shoes

good
Read the review
ClementineClementine

Clown Shoes
Massachusetts, United States
clownshoesbeer.com

Style: Witbier

Added by bceagles39 on 05-24-2010

Ratings: 1,152 |  Reviews: 295

4.1/5  rDev +9%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, bottled on 6/21/2013. Pours very hazy golden amber color with a 1-2 finger fairly dense white head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass. Aromas of big lemon zest, tangerine, orange peel, grapefruit, coriander, clove, pepper, wheat, floral, grass, and yeast earthiness. Damn nice aromas with good balance and complexity of malt, yeast, and spice notes; with good strength. Taste of lemon zest, grapefruit, tangerine, orange peel, coriander, clove, pepper, wheat, bread, floral, grass, and yeast earthiness. Lingering notes of citrus, citrus zest, coriander, clove, wheat, bread, floral. and yeast earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Damn nice balance and complexity of malt, yeast, and spice flavors; with great flavor robustness and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a smooth, crisp, and moderately creamy mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is an excellent witbier. All around great balance, complexity, and robustness of malt, spice, and yeast flavors; and very smooth to drink. A very enjoyable offering.

4.5/5  rDev +19.7%

3.39/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Clown Shoes Clementine a couple weeks ago for $2.29 at The Lager Mill. This is the last of the 12oz bottles of Clown Shoes beers that I bought to get familiar with this brewery, so far I think they are decent, but I have yet to be really impressed, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a Wiezen glass.

A- The label looks good, it's not the most eye catching, but I like it. It poured a pretty hazy golden color that took on an orange/amber color when held to the light with a finger and a half worth of white head that faded to nothing and didn't leave any lacing behind. This is a decent looking beer, the color was nice, but the head and lacing could have been better.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness with a lot of orange aromas coming through that have a nice orange juice like aroma with some citrus zest aromas in the background. Up next comes the Belgian yeast imparting a pretty big spicy aroma with an even mixture of cloves and coriander with some sweet and grainy malts in the background. The aroma was nice but I thought it was a little unbalanced.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a pretty high amount of medium sweetness that took on a slight honey like flavor followed by a sharp orange flavor that is more orange zest tasting. Up next comes some sweet wheat flavors with some Belgian yeast that imparts some clove and coriander like flavors that are lighter then they were in the aroma. On the finish there's a medium amount of light bitterness with a orange zest and clove like aftertaste. This beer tasted nice for it's style, but there wasn't anything that made it really stick out.

M- Pretty smooth, clean, slightly watery, on the real light side of being medium bodied with a slightly lower amount of high carbonation that was a little prickly. The mouthfeel was just ok, I thought it was a little watery and over carbonated.

Overall I wasn't that into this beer and I thought it was a very average example of the style, all of the aspects of this beer seemed pretty average and there wasn't anything about it that separates it from all the other average Witbiers. This beer had decent drinkability, it was smooth and not filling, but the flavor didn't really hold my attention and I think it would really start to wear on me after drinking more than one so I think one would be my maximum. What I liked the most about this beer was the orange aspect, it wasn't bad and it didn't seem to be artificial. What I liked the least about this beer was the mouthfeel, I think it needs some work. I wouldn't buy this beer again, since it really doesn't stick out for the style and it's a little overpriced for what you get. I would only recommend this beer to someone who really likes this style. All in all I wasn't impressed with this beer, there wasn't anything about it that made it a memorable Witbier. Better luck next time guys, Hoppy Feet is still my least favorite Clown Shoes beer but this one wasn't too much better, I'm still not sure about this brewery and I think it might be hard for them to compete against the local Michigan brewerys.

Clementine from Clown Shoes