Pecan Pie Porter | Clown Shoes

Style: American Porter

Availability: Fall

Added by jamie2dope on 11-12-2010

16%

One of the best one from Ipswich breweries. I have tried all of the clown shoe series. All of them all exceptional. Pecan Pie just put you to holiday spirits. By the time you finish the bottle you are burping pecan pie,the beer is thick and full bodied.

4.79/5  rDev +27.7%

Picked this up at Blanchard's in Allston. Holiday leftover?

A: Dark brown. Fluffy tan head. Nice lace.

S: Woaaaahhh! Pie crust, butter, pecans, chocolate, dark fruits, some hop. Sweet, very sweet.

T: Not as sweet as the nose but the flavors are all there. Finishes dry and roasty.

M: Low carbonation. Creamy.

D: Hard to take the bomber down, but doable.

Edit: Just tried this years version and it is better! More balance. Less overpowering nose, more pleasing mouthfeel. Great beer!!

4.75/5  rDev +26.7%

4.72/5  rDev +25.9%

Picked this up on a whim considering I haven't had a bad brew from Clown Shoes. This one does not let me down! Poured into my duvel tulip.

A - Pour is a deep mahogany brown almost black with a nice healthy one finger tan head that slowly fades leaving nice side lacing and a good tan cloud.

S - Sweet mother of mercy. If I could give something higher than a 5 I would for this. At the appropriate temperature this porter is knock your socks off. Buttery pie crust and cake batter, carmel, vanilla, butter pecan icecream, and some chocolate.

T - Similar to the aromas, though much more muted. Still, its incredible how the piecrust and pecan nut flavour assaults the pallet. This is shocking how this profile can be made with the handful of ingrediants. Malty roastyness with full pecan pie flavours.

M - Nice and smooth and creamy with a slight dryness at the end. Low carbonation is typical here but man is this smooth and creamy.

D - Great taste, great mouthfeel, and a crazy good aroma. The aroma is very, very intense and reminds me of Southern Tier Pumpking. This is a very flavorful porter that delivers exactly what it claims it will. Can't go wrong.

4.52/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Clown Shoes beer have been among the best I've tried locally as I am getting into the craft beers. I thought I missed this one, then randomly was in a shop on the North shore and was able to grab it. The beer is mohogany brown with a big tan head. Not much lacing. The smell was awesome. Pie crust, vanilla, dark malt, a little hops. The tastd was a little less great, but well balanced, just a little thinner and less sweet than I thought it would be, but perhaps that is because I had it with an actual slice of Pecan Pie!

4.5/5  rDev +20%

4.5/5  rDev +20%

4.49/5  rDev +19.7%

This one pours beautifully with a dark brownish/black color and a cream-colored frothy head. The head remained for a while and left a gorgeous lace.

The smell is exactly what I was hoping for when I read the name. It is popping with a fresh and spicy roasted pecan aroma. A hint of toasted malts comes through to provide a beautiful and mouth-watering sense of DESSERT!

The taste was also what I was hoping for as I generally do not love sweet beers. This base porter is actually dry...that's right, DRY! A plus for my personal taste.

My only caveat with the beer is that the pecan extract can leave a bit of a coating texture on your tongue, which I initially perceived as sweetness. That, however, was not enough to make me dislike this tasty porter.

This is definitely a beer that I would drink again. The nose is beautiful and I know plenty of people who would love this beer. An absolute must try for anyone who likes interesting beers.

4.47/5  rDev +19.2%

Poured black into a tulip glass. Light brown head was large at first but dissipated quickly to a film that stayed throughout.

The aroma at first, when cold, wasn't smelling like pecans at all to me. I actually smelled a cross between sugary fruit candy, and marzipan. Once the brew warmed I did smell more of a pecan pie aroma which was nice. Very strong aroma.

The taste was more like toffee at first, then morphed into a more molasses, caramel, and sugary dessert. Once it warmed did I taste slightly bitter pecan on top of fairly strong vanilla and butter.

Mouthfeel is super smooth and creamy.

Drinkability was great - I couldn't put this one down once it warmed up after 5 minutes.

4.32/5  rDev +15.2%

Review from notes 1/29/11.

A: Pours black, or a very very deep brown, two fingers of mocha head with very slow dissipation. Left behind was very nice sudsy lacing on the glass.

S: Very nice aroma, pecans, pie crust, and some chocolate.

T: Very sweet, pecan pie comes through very nicely. They even get some crust flavor. There is a nice chocolate flavor that combined with the pecan pie is great.

M/D: Light to medium bodied. Very easy drinking and tasty, but over time I think the sweetness might be a bit much. Could probably drink a bomber in a night, but much happier to split it (as I did), and get some dessert with it.

4.32/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this with the real thing for dessert on Thanksgiving and continue to be impressed with Clown Shoes. This beer could have been horrible, but they did a good job of making a porter taste and smell like a pie. The smell is all butter and butter pecans with roast and chocolatey porter aromas. The taste is less sweet, actually hoppy, but you get a great nuttiness, vanilla, and a weird but nice fruitiness. I could only have a glass, so marking down on mouthfeel and drink, but overall, a very solid dessert beer.

4.32/5  rDev +15.2%

Pours dark brown with a healthy head. Decadent aroma of roasted malts, vanilla, spices, nutmeg, and pecan of course. The nose on it reminded me of Southern Tier's Pumking. After tasting it I have to say it is literally like drinking pecan pie in a glass as well. I usually am not one for sweets but I rather liked this beer. Very rich. Similar idea as their 'Brown Angel' in that it packs in several flavors without one overpowering the others somehow. I think I understand this brewery's style and I like it!

Consumed 11/18
Poured in to a pint glass

A: This beer pours a rich, deep, dark chocolate brown that really borders on black. One finger of light brown head tops this brew. Head recedes relatively quickly and leaves minor wispy lacing on the glass.

S: Nose is buttery, strong vanilla, cake batter, pecan, and I swear I picked up a hint of blueberrry.

T: Taste is just fantastic. Starts with a nice chocolaty flavoring that quickly moves in to a nice buttery pecan nuttiness. Finish is a strong vanilla presence, a bit of coffee, and nice bitterness.

M: Medium body, medium carbonation, nice silky feel the ends a touch chewy.

D: Goes down easily, VERY tasty, nice kick, somewhat filling, a nice variation of style. I'd love to grab a few more bottles of this one!

4.31/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.27/5  rDev +13.9%

Bottled November 2011

This beer is deep brown, some red shows through in the light.

Smells like a sweet porter but I did catch notes of nuts, vanilla, and roast.

The taste really is like a pecan pie! Sweet, but not too sweet!

Mouthfeel is a little odd, but not too off putting.

Cool beer! Glad I tried it.

4.27/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured from a 1pt. 6oz. bottle into a mug.

The color is a dark black with two fingers of foamy brownish head and some thick lacing left on the glass.

The smell is sweet with a big pecan flavor that is mixed with a bit of a cake bater flavor and a little bit of frosting as well. Some nutty flavor that is in the background.

The taste is full pecan flavor that is top to bottom full of the flavor of pecans. Some mixed nut flavor is evident in the background with a creamy nut flavor that seems to butter the different nut flavors together.

The feel of this beer is smooth and creamy and has a poppy twang that is a little lactic as well.

4.25/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

S: aromas evoke pecan pie with hints of nuts, mild pie crust, faint chocolate and alcohol.

L: bright deep dark brown in the glass under a 1/2" tan cap with poor retention. Nuts and mild chocolate seasoned lightly with brown sugar start the flavors but the aftertaste really does suggest pecan pie but not in a cloying or overbearing way. The malt flavors are medium, the hop flavors are medium low to low, and the hop bitterness is medium low. The fermentation flavors are medium low. Alcohol is medium and is just a touch hot but is not overly harsh.

F: The body is medium high and the carbonation is medium.

O: An interesting beer that succeeds by not going overboard.

Pecan Pie Porter from Clown Shoes