Pecan Pie Porter | Clown Shoes

Added by jamie2dope on 11-12-2010

3.25/5  rDev -13.1%

3.25/5  rDev -13.1%

3.15/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pecan Pie Porter has a giant, sudsy head, like a foaming pitcher of root beer. It seems almost artificial, something you would see in a cartoon image of an overflowing mug of beer. I’ve never seen one like it. Golden brown foam rests atop a dark brown/black body.

It smells like a deconstructed pecan pie; toffee, cream, butter, sweet malts and vanilla. I wish I enjoyed the taste as much as I did the aroma. What I thought was going to be a sweet, dessert beer was really similar to an American brown ale, composed of toasted and bready malts, roasted nuts, and a slight mineralness. The body was medium and sticky, with a lingering sweetness.

To me, this was a very one-dimensional beer. It wasn’t much like pecan pie, and mixing that with a bitter brown ale made it not too drinkable. I wanted something more like oatmeal-type beer, but was left disappointed as it thinned out in the end

4.03/5  rDev +7.8%

This is a two-pour beer. Served with a half I ch of beige foam. Leaves ring lace after each sip. Dark brown color where light shines through only at the edge.

The smell is a combination of deeply roasted malts and a sour cherry kicker. I also detect a bit of yeast.

Think semi-sweet chocolate with some unsweetened raspberry juice. An attractive flavor. Creamy aftertaste with a touch alcohol warmth. Highl carbonated by also full bodied. An easy beer to drink.

3.75/5  rDev +0.3%

4.5/5  rDev +20.3%

4.25/5  rDev +13.6%

Beautiful brown body with a frothy tan head.

Nose is sweet caramel malt.

Flavor is rich and dark. Carmelized sugars dominate, as I would expect from a Pecan Pie beer. Nuttiness and butter. Smooth and satisfying on the tongue.

Mouthfeel is slick, buttery smooth and coating. A mouthful.

Overall is surprisingly high. This is rich, but not overly so. I think they nailed what they were aiming at with this one, pecan pie in a bottle.

All fours, solid stuff.

3.13/5  rDev -16.3%

A: Pours a deep brown, basically black, with one full finger of brown head. The foam settles in a reasonably amount of time. There is a good amount of lacing left on the glass as it drinks.

S: I'm picking up sweet malt, caramel, and blueberries. Yup. It reminds me of blueberry pomegranate juice. It's overly sweet and the fruit notes dominate.

T: It starts out malty and fruity sweet. But there is an underlying grossness to this beer. It's stale, and a bit sour (not in a good way). There is a dry bitter funk that lingers on the palate long after the beer has been downed. I'm getting way more blueberry than pecan.

M: Full bodied beer. This starts out sweet, and finishes with an awful dry bitter funk that lingers forever.

O: I love the idea of a pecan pie porter (I love pecan pie and I love porters), but this is not a very good beer. It starts out ok, but it falls short on so many levels.

4.27/5  rDev +14.2%

Bottled November 2011

This beer is deep brown, some red shows through in the light.

Smells like a sweet porter but I did catch notes of nuts, vanilla, and roast.

The taste really is like a pecan pie! Sweet, but not too sweet!

Mouthfeel is a little odd, but not too off putting.

Cool beer! Glad I tried it.

4.22/5  rDev +12.8%

Bomber poured a clear dark reddish brown with a lasting tan head. Aromas of pecans, brown sugar, dark chocolate and graham crackers. Mouthfeel was medium bodied and smooth. Flavors of pecans, graham crackers, dark chocolate, carmel and brown sugar with a smooth lingering pecan finish. Easily one of the best pecan beers I've tasted!

3.95/5  rDev +5.6%

Dark tan head blankets a black beer underneath. Break apart retention hangs around for the whole glass and throws up a few lacey splotches.

Smells like pecan butter mocha ice cream. I brewed a chocolate peanut butter stout recently and it smelled similar this. Make of that what you will.

Smooth and roasty with pecan nut butter and sweet chocolate. Not unlike a peanut butter cup. There's a heavy film that coats my tongue after each swallow which I'm not sure if I like or not.

I'm a fan of just about anything with nuts or nut butters including this beer.

3.97/5  rDev +6.1%

22oz bottle poured into a Pint Glass.

A - Pours a very dark brown with slight reddish highlight and a thin off-white head that settles to a slight haze.
S - Sweet aromas of milk chocolate, roasted nuts, caramel, and brown sugar. Very nice, I can definitely see "Pecan Pie"!
T - Yeah, it more or less tastes like Pecan Pie.Rich flavors of roasted nuts, caramel, brown sugar, and a touch of vanilla. Sweet, but still nicely drinkable and not too gimmicky (unlike the Southern Tier Blackwater offerings, which I can only do about a 4oz pour of).
M - Slick and slightly chewy, with a medium mouthfeel, good carbonation, and a nice bitter finish.
O - A very unique, fun beer that was quite drinkable, a rare feat for a "Dessert" beer.

Pecan Pie Porter from Clown Shoes