Tramp Stamp | Clown Shoes

Added by brewandbbq on 01-15-2011

Ratings: 1,384 |  Reviews: 339
2.5/5  rDev -35.7%

3.79/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

a. a burnt orange color with little to no head on a pour in a tulip glass. Light, spotty lacing.

s. Citrus on the nose. Maybe some coriander, but not overwhelming, malt, yeast.

t. The citrus shines through. It seems like this could be a white ale. Similar profile.

m. A bit gritty.

o. Very good beer from a very good brewer. Wow factor was missing so I could not move into the outstanding range, but I would revisit this beer.

2.76/5  rDev -29%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

A weak Belgian beginning to the taste followed by an unbalanced tart/bitter after taste. The smell was pretty faint and didn't really help the beer much. The mouthfeel was probably the strongest feature of this beer but thats only if you can ignore the aftertaste. Maybe a Belgian IPA just isn't for me...

3.25/5  rDev -16.5%

3.8/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Artwork: A+

Appearance: Looks like an effin' sunset. Or an orange. Lots of microscopic bubbles. Nice.

Smell: Juicy fruit. Sweet like candy. Blends the floral, wet, juicy, fruity, hoppy bit with the belgian yeast sugar candied sweetness business.

Taste: Kinda takes a nosedive here, imho. Both the appearance and aroma of this beer heightened the anticipation up to this point, but something about the taste was not agreeable with me. It wasn't awful, it just wasn't particularly enjoyable for me at the moment. It's tart. Bitter. I detect nuances of aspirin like qualities. It kind of leaves a nasty, lingering aftertaste. These qualities>any redeeming qualities.

Overall: I'll have to try more Belgian IPA's. Maybe I don't like the style? But North Coast "Pranqster" is a go to beer for me, and that's a Belgian strong ale. According to my review score and memory I gave Ale Asylum Bedlam! a better rating. I'm glad I tried this one out, but I'm glad it was a single. Not awful, but not my thing. Don't see myself seeking this one out. This was my first from Clown Shoes. This was a miss for me but I'll give them a couple more shots. That pecan pie bomber sure sounds enticing.

4.09/5  rDev +5.1%

Fluffy head, dimples deeply in a few spots, pretty much bone white, tight weave overall with good retention, the lacing comes in thick stripes, tends to move like flexible metal mesh. Bright, vibrant orange colored liquid, inclines more to red-brown than yellow, very clear and crisp looking, you see a fat bubble here or there. From a distance the nose is powerfully floral yet as you get closer more dominance in the well cooked bread dough, herbaceousness, sharper spices and pepper, moderate pine sap and likewise the peach, nectarine scents are quiet, takes a little opening up but there is a decent bubblegum component. Medium-bodied plus, foams up some in the mouth, carbonation big rather than prickly. As a result, it sits there and slowly percolates rather than flows. Spicy attack, ginger, cardamom, caraway then spiced orange peel, not getting a consistent yeast presence. Here too the peach, apricot, pear, apple flavors have minimal thrust, ending up in a drier texture. The bitterness not fully to be pinned on the herbaceousness, more like sour grains. Pine more present, the bubblegum to banana notes mostly retronasal than perceived as flavor. It’s actually pretty good and can easily be understood as a smashup of two styles.

Tramp Stamp from Clown Shoes