Muffin Top | Clown Shoes

Clown Shoes
Massachusetts, United States
clownshoesbeer.com

Style: Belgian IPA

Muffin Top combines the attributes of a Belgian Tripel with a huge burst of American hops. Intense flavors from the Belgian yeast, reminiscent of candied fruits, mix with the hop bitterness and sweet orange peel to create a unique take on a Belgian-Style ale.

Added by Reagan1984 on 09-02-2011

4.41/5  rDev +14%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very delicious! Didn't have the hops flavor I expected, but I tend to like less hoppy beers. Don't know how they made a belgian trippel IPA, but I like it! Tried Clown Shoes at a beer festival recently, and can't wait to try more of what they have to offer. Haven't been disappointed by any of their beers so far...

3.25/5  rDev -16%

4.25/5  rDev +9.8%

2.5/5  rDev -35.4%

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

4.25/5  rDev +9.8%

22 ounce bottle into tulip glass, bottled on 6/3/2013. Pours lightly cloudy bright orange amber color with a 2 finger dense and fluffy cream colored head with great retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Spotty soapy lacing clings on the glass. Aromas of orange zest, lemon zest, grapefruit, tangerine, pear, banana, clove, floral, grass, pepper, pine, honey, light caramel, light bubblegum, and yeast earthiness. Very nice aromas with good balance and complexity of hop, malt, and yeast ester notes; with good strength. Taste of orange zest, grapefruit, lemon zest, tangerine, pear, banana, clove, floral, grass, pepper, light pine, honey, light caramel, light bubblegum, and yeast earthiness. Fair amount of pine bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of citrus, citrus zest, light fruit, banana, clove, pepper, floral, grass, honey, light caramel, light pine, light bubblegum, and yeast earthiness on the finish for a while. Very nice complexity and balance of hop, malt, and yeast ester flavors; with a great malt/spiciness balance and zero cloying sweetness after the finish. Medium carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a lightly slick and fairly sticky mouthfeel that is good. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a small warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a damn nice imperial Belgian IPA. All around nice balance and complexity of hop, malt ,and yeast ester notes; and very smooth to sip on for 10%. A very enjoyable offering.

3.25/5  rDev -16%

3.83/5  rDev -1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of Clown Shoes Muffin Top last week for $9.99 at The Lager Mill. I'm in the mood for something hoppy tonight so I thought I would check out an offering from Clown shoes since they just started showing up in Michigan and I have been meaning to try more of their beers lately, so lets see how it goes. No Visible bottling date, but it just showed up so I think it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label sure is interesting, it isn't the most appealing label I have seen, but it sure is eye catching, the combination of the name and the label make it stick out on the shelf. It poured a nice looking orange color that took on a nice bright orange color when held to the light with three fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left lots of patchy lacing behind. This a very good looking beer, the color, head and lacing were all very good.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the hops showing up first which impart a pretty nice citrus and fruity aroma with some nice orange rind, mango, and pineapple like aroma sticking out with a slight bit of floral hops showing up in the background. Up next comes the Belgian yeast which imparts some nice clove, banana, and slight bubble gum like aromas that seem to go very well with the hop profile. I really like the aroma of this beer, it's full of fresh and juicy fruit aromas that blend very well with the Belgian yeast.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma, but not nearly as intense and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with a higher amount of bitterness up front followed by some citrus hops with grapefruit and a slight bit of pineapple sticking out the most with a slight floral hop flavor in the background. Up next comes the yeast which imparts a banana and clove flavor and there's a little bit of warming alcohol. On the finish there's some more sweetness which is a little candied sugar like and there was a sweet, bitter and grapefruit like aftertaste. The taste was nice, but I wish it was as intense as the aroma, the sweetness and bitterness seemed to show up more than the yeast and hop flavors.

M- Not that smooth, slightly cloying, a little sticky, a little warming, on the lighter side of being full bodied with a lower amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, but I thought it was a little rough around the edges.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer, and decent example of the style, the Belgian yeast worked nicely with the hop profile, they seemed to complement each other, but the sweetness and bitterness seemed to overpower those when it came to the flavor and that made this beer a little rough around the edges. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it wasn't too smooth, fairly filling, and the 10% was apparent, but the flavors did an ok job at holding my attention, but I wouldn't want another one and I think this would be a good beer to split since it may become a choir for me to drink a whole bomber. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma and appearance, they were both very good and the highlight of this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste and drinkability, they were just a little rough around the edges. I don't think I would buy this beer again, there's a few other Belgian DIPA's that I would rather have and I don't think I would really recommend this beer. All in all I thought this beer was decent, there were some aspects I like, but there were some that I didn't, it's defiantly not my favorite of the style, but it's not a bad beer, it just needs to be cleaned up a little. Tramp Stamp is still my favorite beer from Clown Shoes, but there's still many more of their beers left for me to try,

3.88/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Has a flourishing off-white head that sticks to it like a champ. Hazy golden orange and pretty. A sharp resinous aroma hits the nose and we're off to the races, followed by notes of caramel, orange peel and grapefruit. Fine and dandy so far. The bitterness loses a length at the tongue and the sweet and tangy notes catch up, evening thing out to the end. Not as in-your-face as the label would like you to believe (surely a craft brewer wouldn't hype on a label for marketing purposes) but fortunately this one kicks it out on all fronts and ends up being a very well-balanced and tasty brew despite itself.

3.7/5  rDev -4.4%

Appearance-Translucent burnt orange to golden drown with light eggshell foam.

Smell-Faint strawberries. I'm not getting much out of the glass on this one

Taste-Strawberries and red fruit. Citrus tangy flavor on the finish. Not overwhelming but nice bitterness.

Mouthfeel-Lighter than I expected but still packs a punch alcohol-wise.

Overall-Not bad, the scorchy bitterness throws me off a bit but still worthwhile all in all.

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%