Blaecorn Unidragon | Clown Shoes

Added by JamnesCameron on 09-25-2011

Ratings: 1,610 |  Reviews: 375
2.5/5  rDev -38.4%

3.84/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: Dark as night, no light penetrates this stout! Half finger of milk chocolate colored head that clings to the edge of the glass as it sinks back in.

S: Dark chocolate, burnt roasty malts. earthy hops detected. Alcohol is noticable.

T: Dark Cocoa burnt toast, and sweet carmel, alcohol warming, but not overpowering (for a 12%) green apple is detected.

M: Big chewy body, low carbonation with a lingering mouth drying astringancy.

O: As it warmed up it got better, but this could have used some time to age to mellow out the alcohol harshness and the green apple (Acetaldehyde).

4.75/5  rDev +17%

4.65/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pours out near pitch black with slight hints of a dark chocolate brown. The head starts at a very respectable 3/4 inch, the lacing is moderate and only sticks around for a little bit. Pretty impressive for such a high ABV.

I have a slight cold right now, but a lot comes through anyway. Dark chocolate, roasted malts, molasses, anise and citrus shine through. A bit of booze is noticed near the end.

Chocolate and cumquat combine at the start of the taste. Vanilla, coffee, anise and burnt cocoa quickly follow. A bit of lemon, booze and caramel wait for the end. Complex and very fun taste. Thick and smooth going down.

Goddamn that was good. I need one for the cellar... I need 100 for the cellar. I jest, or do I???

4.04/5  rDev -0.5%

22oz bottle into a snifter
2013 Vintage, bottled on 1/2/13

A: Pours a very dark brown with some lightening on the edges. Looks to be on the thinner side of things judging by the pour. 1/2 fingers width of light mocha colored head dissipates away at a moderate rate and leaves a good amount of lacing.

S: A combination of almost sour dark fruits and roasted malt. I also get some vanilla and heavy cream/lactose notes. There are heavy characters of leather and tobacco as well, and the more I smell the more prominent those two aromas become. Smells nice, but not my favorite aromatic combinations in a stout.

T: Roasted malt, leather, and tobacco are the flavors that initially stand out. I also get black licorice, a little bit of the lactose/cream-like notes, some herbaceous grassy flavors, a bitterness on the finish that reminds me of espresso beans and hints of dark fruits. I generally prefer more sweet/chocolate/coffee notes in my IS's, which this one certainly isnt big on, but this is a very well done beer.

M/D: Pretty smooth, carbonation is appropriately low, ABV is completely masked, drinkability is good. It is a bit thin for my liking, but then again I like my IS's beer-milkshake-Marshal Zhukov-thick.

O: Overall, a very nice beer. Again the components of this one arent my favorite characteristics in an Imperial Stout, but the flavor profile is huge, with good complexity. Clown Shoes really does a great job with their line up of Imperial Stouts. Its not my favorite of the bunch, but I would definitely drink this one again.

A: Dark and complex. Very nice creamy, persistent head.

S: Again, complex. The nose has malt, hops, alcohol, toased biscuit, caramel, chocolate.

T: Much like the smell. There is a LOT going on in the taste. It evolves as each drink and swallow progresses. Finishes with a great warmth and malt character.

M: Thick and creamy. Almost filling.

O: I love this Russian. I personally think it's a great example of what the style can be. This is not a timid or apologetic beer. DO NOT use this for calibration.

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%