Blaecorn Unidragon | Clown Shoes

Clown Shoes
Massachusetts, United States
clownshoesbeer.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Brewed with a monstrous amount of malt and combined with aggressive American hops, this beer is powerful and complex and designed to age. Smokiness is subtle but present and blends nicely with the rich, dark flavors.

Added by JamnesCameron on 09-25-2011

Ratings: 1,619 |  Reviews: 379
4.23/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

22 oz.

Pours jet black with a light tan lacing for a head.

Smells of cocoa, brown sugar, oak, and dry piney hops.

Tastes of cocoa, coffee, walnut, brown sugar malts, and mild dry bitter hops.

Medium to full body with tingly carbonation on the tongue.

A very nice stout which is more hoppy than is usual for this style, but it works well. Flavors and aromas are good, goes down very easy. Worth seeking out.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

4.19/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 55 degree refrigerated bottle into a Teku glass. As the pour flows, you notice this beer's viscosity is not as creamy as other RISs out there, the color however is pitch black and you couldn't get a ray of light through it if you shun the sun against it - beautiful. It forms a creamy, carbonated, mocha-colored head of about 1.5 inches that slowly dissipates leaving a persistent lace of alcohol and foam behind.

Predominant aroma is coffee and cacao nibs. You can also pick up a faint boozy aroma that (due to the strong coffee presence) reminds me of Kahlua. There is a certain spiciness on the tail end of is smell I can't quite place, but it reminds me of black/strong tea. Its taste closely resembles its aroma, very coffee forward, dark chocolate notes and a spiciness you expect in exotic southeast Asian teas. There is an espresso-like bitterness that follows every sip which carries the coffee and cacao flavors even further - I like it (not hoppy at all). Generally speaking in both flavor and taste - it reminds me significantly of Epic's Big Bad Baptist.

Mouthfeel wise I would love to have a creamier feel on this beer - it would do so much for its flavors. However, its not thin either, its somewhere in between. I like the level of carbonation that helps put its flavors forward and in general its drinkability is great.

Overall this is a pretty solid RIS offering that can easily compete with the big boys out there - I wish it had a creamier texture and that the coffee in both the aroma and taste was less pronounced but being a coffee lover it only takes a couple of sips to get used to and love this. I have not tried the other Clown Shoe IS offerings but have most of them in my cellar and am really excited to try them soon.

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

4.01/5  rDev -1.2%

Served into a large snifter at below cellar temp. Bottle date is 1/02/13 (I think); I bought it about two weeks ago from a place notorious for questionable storage practices, so we'll see...

Appearance: Nothing remarkable. Almost no head to speak of.

Smell: Very intriguing. A lot of spice notes—cinnamon and nutmeg—along with ample fruits: raisin, comice pear, maybe pink grapefruit. Much brighter than expected, with very little chocolate/coffee/dark fruit/roast character. As it warms, I get more vanilla in the nose.

Taste: My first reaction is that this tastes like an ABA—very hop-forward initial flavor. After that moves out of the way (and it takes a while), some chocolate, roast malts, and dried fig comes forward. As it warms, the first flavor gives way to something more like apple or pear. Not unenjoyable, but not what I typically associate with the style!

Feel: The mouthfeel actually suits the flavor profile quite nicely. It's surprisingly light and tingly for the style (still medium bodied overall). I'd honestly almost believe I was drinking some sort of sparkling white wine from a heavily toasted barrel, given the taste and feel.

Overall: This was miles away from what I was expecting. Maybe my bottle was stored poorly over the last 15 months, and therefore has morphed into a different beast, but I actually like this a lot!

Blaecorn Unidragon from Clown Shoes