Blaecorn Unidragon | Clown Shoes

Clown Shoes
Massachusetts, United States
clownshoesbeer.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Brewed with a monstrous amount of malt and combined with aggressive American hops, this beer is powerful and complex and designed to age. Smokiness is subtle but present and blends nicely with the rich, dark flavors.

Added by JamnesCameron on 09-25-2011

Liked:
4.09/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 1,620 |  Reviews: 380

4.28/5  rDev +4.6%

As I pour a glass of Blaecorn Unidragon, I am not sure what to expect, except that it will very likely be tasty, as Clown Shoes is quite adept at crafting imperial stouts. It certainly looks properly dark, nearly like obsidian. I am seeing no signs of carbonation and just a little foam encircling the top of the brew.

The aroma is very fresh, almost flowery... with a hint of vanilla creme...however, there is a campfire-like aspect present as well. After a big sip washes over my palate, I find the flavor to be extremely malty, with sugary fruit esters at heart. But curiously, those flavors seem to be 'wrapped' in a blanket of pleasant smokiness and toasty/roasted grains.

It doesn't feel as heavy as one might think, I would put this at a 'medium.' Overall, the two dominant aspects to this beverage are balanced nicely. It's a little more sweet and malty than smoky, and that's the way it should be. An absolute pleasure for me to recommend to other RIS fans for sure!

4.11/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Bottled 7/8/13 and poured 3/31/14. A bit of age on this one, but not much. $11.99 bomber poured into all that was clean, a shaker pint (agh).

Appearance: Pitch black with the slightest bit of ruby on the edges. A surprising two finger, creamy tan head on it that stays around. That was unexpected to see from a 12.5% brew. There's even a wall of lacing for most of the glass! Looks phenomenal, especially given the ABV.

Smell: Smokey, roasty, chocolatey, and some caramel. Really nice smelling beer. The caramel sweetness knocks it up a bit because I didn't see it coming. Smokey character is also fairly significant. Very nice on the nose.

Taste/feel: Oh yeah, that's a big one. Blaecorn Unidragon has that sort of tangy yeast or whatever-the-hell-it-is thing to it and that's the first thing I notice. There's a medium/heavy feel with a fairly light carbonation. The flavor is a disappointment, at least when it's fresh out of the fridge, which strangely enough is normally where I prefer my RIS's temperature at. The taste on Blaecorn Unidragon is strangely light. You get the "big" feel of it with the alcohol warmth and the body and all of that, but the flavor -- at least when it's cold -- is just a deep roastiness with a slight smokiness on the finish. The bottle mentions "aggressive hops" and I suppose I get the slightest bit of earthy hops on the finish, as well as in the burps -- it gives it a black ale sort of vibe.

I think that the rating for this beer is about spot-on. Is it a good beer? Hell yeah, it's a good beer. $12 for a bomber good? No. I'd rather spend the extra $6 and get a legendary brew like Imperial Biscotti Break from Evil Twin, which is a mind blower. Blaecorn Unidragon is the very definition of a tasty, well-made, by-the-books sort of Russian Imperial Stout. I really do quite enjoy it, just not at its current price point, which I don't expect to change.

All-in-all, it's a tough call for this one. I can't recommend cellaring it just because it's already got a fairly mild flavor, but who knows, maybe it'd be a good idea (bottle recommends it). The nose on this brew had me very excited, but the flavor just left me a bit more than content. Roast, coffee, smoke, and a bit of earthy hoppiness. I like hoppiness in a black ale (strangely enough), but I never seem to love it in Imperial Stouts. I suppose I'd say... try this one for yourself and decide. It looks phenomenal, it smells fantastic, and has a great feel... but the taste has me wanting something more.

4.75/5  rDev +16.1%

4.4/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

It was a very good beer what can I say? The taste was good but not the best. There is a bit of an after taste that kinda bugs me a bit and when I drank it it was a bit foamy. It didn't take much for it to hit me which I like. It would take at least 9 beers for it to hit me halfway through this bottle. As you can see I'm not a beer master or anything but this beer was really good.

4.25/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

the bottle is probably 8ish months old

A: poured into a snifter to be very black with a very viscous pour that requires a lot of vigor to get some dense tan head formation. the head fades quickly to a collar around the edge of the glass
S: smells of coffee, bitter chocolate, roasted malt and burnt sugar
T: tastes of coffee, chocolate, roasted malt, some charred wood, and a bit of residual sweetness. swallow brings more coffee and chocolate with a bit more charred wood and some burnt sugar
M: full in the mouth with a nice but not overly apparent carbonation. finish is a bit dry
O: Fantastic RIS. It hits all the right marks for the style and drinks like a 12.5% beer should. for a 12.5% beer the alcohol is very well hidden.

Blaecorn Unidragon from Clown Shoes