Chocolate Sombrero Mexican-style Chocolate Stout | Clown Shoes

Chocolate Sombrero Mexican-style Chocolate StoutChocolate Sombrero Mexican-style Chocolate Stout

Clown Shoes
Massachusetts, United States
clownshoesbeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Roasted dark malts plus extra chocolate malts plus ancho chile plus cinnamon plus organic vanilla extract plus a chocolate eating, beer drinking, Clown Shoes wearing, multi limbed, gorgeous and glorious Mexican wrestler on the label. That’s the recipe for a Chocolate Sombrero!

Added by rab53 on 02-26-2012

3.9

Ratings: 1,842 |  Reviews: 347

1.5/5  rDev -61.5%

2.11/5  rDev -45.9%

The ancho is overpowering, like drinking chocolate flavored rubbing alcohol

2.25/5  rDev -42.3%

2.25/5  rDev -42.3%

2.27/5  rDev -41.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.46/5  rDev -36.9%

Had at a chili beer tasting including Mexican Cake, Hunahpu's, Theobroma, Cocoa Mole, and Ghost Face Killah.

This pours deep brown with a little head. On the nose there is a foul mixture of hot chilis and roasted malt and chocolate. The best way I can think to describe it is as chili powder and chocolate powder. It just feels false. In the mouth the initial hit is very hot from the chili, with some chocolate and roast coming out after the attack, before settling into a long, hot and not altogether unpleasant finish. The body is medium.

Overall, I didn't care for this beer, and moreover, I found the quality to be lacking. I wasn't a fan of either of the three chili stouts at the tasting, but with the other two at least it seemed like the flavors just didn't sit well for me, whereas I can't picture people actually liking this one.

2.63/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

4oz from draft

L: black opaque with white head
S: very faint vanilla and chili and strong chocolate
T: strong bitter dark chocolate taste almost reminiscent of bakers chocolate
F: smooth with very little carbonation
O: not a favorite. I love stouts but this was just not an easy one to finish and I only had a four oz pour

2.63/5  rDev -32.6%

22oz bottle purchased at Hop City in Atlanta. Split with my buddy, Brad.

A - Pours a thick, dark black/brown. Nice mocha head with decent lacing.
S - Semi-sweet chocolate and some more chocolate. A bit one-dimensional.
T - Even more one-dimensional than the nose. Chocolate dominates, followed by a burnt bitterness. I don't get any vanilla, chilies or cinnamon. Tastes like an imperial stout with Swiss Miss thrown in.
M - Medium to full body. Decent carbonation.
O - Disappointed. I was really hoping to get some complexities from the vanilla and cinnamon, and some heat from the chilies, but if those hadn't been in the description on the bottle I would never have known they were in there. Neither of us were impressed, and we did not finish the bottle between us.

2.69/5  rDev -31%

Appearance: Black body with a light khaki head that fades fairly quickly. Decent lacing.

Aroma: Not much aroma. There's a light scent of chocolate milk but that's it.

Taste: Light roasted caramel flavor along with some hints of toast. Pretty average for a stout. I don't really get any chocolate flavor which is odd given the "chocolate sombrero" name. No alcohol flavor which is a plus for a 9% ABV beer.

Mouthfeel: It's on the heavy side of a medium mouthfeel. Feels average.

Overall: It is an average stout, but below average for a chocolate stout. If you're looking for a chocolate stout I would give this one a pass. If you're looking for a higher ABV stout I would say flip a coin.

2.7/5  rDev -30.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

2.75/5  rDev -29.5%

Black body with mocha head. Smells like a stout with a hint of spice.

I'm missing out on the chile flavor. There is clearly cocoa and chocolate notes, with a semi-dry bitter finish. There seems to be too much roasted flavor, which is overriding, perhaps, some of the other components. Cinnamon is barely detectable in the dry down.

I wanted to enjoy this more, but I'm afraid the advertised spices and flavors are not pulling through enough for me. Not horrible per se, but it is definitely not a repeat purchase for me.

Chocolate Sombrero Mexican-style Chocolate Stout from Clown Shoes