Porcine Unidragon | Clown Shoes

Clown Shoes
Massachusetts, United States
clownshoesbeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

This is Blaecorn Unidragon made with Beechwood Smoked malt, which adds a natural meaty note (there is no actual meat in the brew). Aged 100% bourbon barrels. Little piggies run, squeal to the heavens: Clown Shoes wishes you luck.

Added by MasterSki on 10-05-2012

4.04/5  rDev -0.5%

650ml bomber poured into tulip 6/10/13 cheers MasterSki and Sean9689 for sending the bottle

A looks black but the edge goes nearly half way to the other side of the glass, short lived finger of mocha foam fizzes out leaving no lace, legs try to form down the side

S loads of wood both barrel and char, smokey bourbon or maybe just smoke in general, some pipe tobacco, campfire ash, vanilla, cinnamon, some dark chocolate, licorice, lots of booze and faint burnt bacon

T more booze and barrel, lots of ash and char, some espresso I wasn't smelling, pretty solid but lots of booze burnt notes of all sorts

M not quite full, some tannins, lots of heat and more smokey burnt notes linger on the finish

O ultra dark smokey roast and big bourbon barrel booze, needs age but smells great and other then the booze popping up shes solid, I suppose I shouldn't be too hard on a 12.5% monster for being boozy

If I had a second bottle I'd sit on it for a while, I enjoyed today it but see long term potential but I won't get find out.

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I got a bottle of Clown Shoes Porcine Unidragon that my buddy brought over for me to try last week, thanks Ben. I've been wanting to try this beer so I was happy when my buddy brought it over, ideally I would like to try the base beer first, but for some reason this one showed up first, but I'm interested to see how this turns out, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date 2013 Vintage. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label is really nice looking, it looks like some sweet fantasy artwork and I think it's very eye catching. It poured a nice black color that didn't really let any light come through with two fingers worth of medium tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some nice rings of lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking beer, the color was nice, but the head and ;acing were really good especially for how strong it is.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by lots of dark roasted malts with some coffee and chocolate aromas in the background along with some smoked malt aromas. Up next come the bourbon barrels which impart a nice oaky and bourbon like aroma with a somewhat lighter alcohol aroma. The aroma is very nice, I thought there was great balance between the roasted malts, smoked malts and bourbon barrels.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by loads of dark roasted malts with noticeable coffee and chocolate flavors in the background followed by a somewhat lighter amount of smoked malts that have a slight smoked meat flavors to them and show up just enough. Up next comes the bourbon barrel which imparts a nice oaky and bourbon like flavor with a little boozy and warming alcohol coming through. This was a very nice tasting beer, the balance is very good just like it was in the aroma.

M- Fairly smooth, creamy, a little boozy, full bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was very nice, it was pretty smooth considering the ABV.

Overall I thought this was a very nice beer and a pretty good example of the style, this beer was just as advertised and all the aspects mentioned on the bottle worked well together with some pretty nice balance. This beer had pretty good drinkability, especially for how strong it was, it drank much smoother then I expected and the taste did a great job at holding my attention, I think I would tackle a whole bottle by myself but I'm sure it would give me a pretty nice buzz so that would probably be my limit. What I liked the most about this beer was the balance, neither of the aspects in the flavor and aroma were too overpowering and they worked very well with each other. What I liked the least about this beer was nothing, there wasn't anything wrong with it and there's nothing I would change. I would for sure buy this beer at the store and I wouldn't mind getting a bottle for the cellar to see how it develops over time. I would recommend this to anyone who likes big barrel aged stouts. All in all I really enjoyed this beer and I thought it was impressive, this is about as close as I have gotten to being wowed by a Clown Shoes beer and so far this is the best one I have tried from them and I would say its one of the better Barrel aged stouts I've had but it isn't a favorite. Good job guys, you can be sure that I'll be on the look out for the base beer, keep up the good work.

3.9/5  rDev -3.9%

Bottled 4/17, has had roughly six months to age and about twenty minutes to warm up

Pours black with a half finger khaki of foam. Mild retention, mild carbonation, good legs and lacing

Smells of bourbon, oak, coffee, chocolate, smoked malts, and quite a bit of alcohol. It all comes together well, bourbon is pretty dominant though

Taste is close with the nose, bourbon, strong roasted malts, chocolate, coffee, oak, and a big splash of alcohol

Feel is the weakest part, very light for some reason, almost watery. Pretty dry finish, still drink pretty hot

Overall not bad, I'm not going to drop another $10 on one to cellar though. Not a lot of complexity, but it's hard not to appreciate barrel aging

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

4.23/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

This beer pours a very dark brown, with a slight ruby tinge, pretty close to opaque but not quite. Almost no head at all.

On the nose it has a sweet nutty smell, not too boozy or anything though. You can pick up a trace of the barrels, but its not overpowering by any means.

Flavor wise, its pretty similar, slightly nutty with a tiny bit of sweetness that comes in afterwards. Finishes with a nice barrel aged flavor.

Its got a little more carbonation that I would expect for an aged stout, and for an imperial stout in general, but its pretty slick and easy to down.

Overall, its a nicely blended stout I love the regular unidragon, the barrel aging was definitely done right.

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%