Porcine Unidragon | Clown Shoes

Clown Shoes
Massachusetts, United States
clownshoesbeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

This is Blaecorn Unidragon made with Beechwood Smoked malt, which adds a natural meaty note (there is no actual meat in the brew). Aged 100% bourbon barrels. Little piggies run, squeal to the heavens: Clown Shoes wishes you luck.

Added by MasterSki on 10-05-2012

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

3.7/5  rDev -8.9%

On to the last bomber from Brez.

It pours an opaque brownish sludge. Short caramel colored head falls to a thin ring that leaves behind a few spots of lacing that slide back into the drink. 4.0

The aroma teeters between smoky, and sweet. I get chocolate, toasted marshmallow, anise, burnt caramel, and wood. I'm guessing its barrel aged, no oak, no vanilla, but there is some peat. I'm not a fan of the scents, but they are balanced very well. 4.0

Its flavors fall in line, just not as balanced. I taste coco, prune, toasted marshmallow, anise, with a peppery bite. Not sure what I'm dealing with here at all, not a big fan either. 3.5

It has a medium body, which seems a little thin with all its flavor. It has a long warm finish. 3.5

A slow sipper for sure. Much more suited for a cold winter day. 3.5

I really have no clue as to what beer this is, or even a style. Maybe it's an Imperial Barrel Aged Porter.... nope, it is a Porcine Unidragon - Clown Shoes. If this is the worst beer I get, then I guess I'm doing good.

4.75/5  rDev +17%

3.67/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed blind as part of Blind BIF 8, courtesy of Auror. Poured into a snifter.

A - Another dark, dark stout! This one has a few fingers of dense, sticky head that lasts a while and leaves nice chunky lacing down the sides. Very pretty.

S - Somewhat smoky, with cocoa powder and, unless my nose deceives me, some spicy heat! Possibly some oak/barrel character as well, but it's hard to tell. Unusual and intriguing.

T - Cocoa powder and smooth smokiness, over some molasses and dark fruits. A little bit of hoppy bitterness. I think I was hallucinating the spiciness on the nose, but it's somehow still hard to say for sure. This is a weird beer.

M - Moderately thick, pretty smooth. Not much carbonation. Some hop bitterness and smoke lingers for a while.

Overall, I don't quite know what to think... It is tasty, but kind of a mish-mash of flavors that don't quite come together. It's certainly not bad, but could be better.

Non-blind comments: The bourbon barrel influence was pretty subtle, I only picked it up in the nose. I think this lines up with how I've felt about other Clown Shoes beers: Good and somewhat unique, but not great.

4.75/5  rDev +17%