Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Genghis Pecan (2012) | Clown Shoes

Genghis Pecan (2012)Genghis Pecan (2012)
3.63/5
Good
Genghis Pecan (2012)Genghis Pecan (2012)

Clown Shoes
Massachusetts, United States
clownshoesbeer.com

Style: American Porter

Added by rab53 on 10-27-2012

4.25/5  rDev +17.1%

3.8/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Underrated porter. The pecan adds a nice slightly sweet and certainly nutty beer. Above average mouthfeel. Dark brown coloured body. Pleasant and slightly sweet aroma. Very good drinkability. Fun unique stuff worth trying for those not hung up on being purists. One of the best bottle labels of recent years.

3.25/5  rDev -10.5%

3.71/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

22 oz bomber poured into pint glass. bottled 11/13/12

A: almost black, but not quite. A bit darker than most porters, but not quite as dark as a stout. Nice, tan-ish head. settles to a nice ring.

S: roasty, a bit of chocolate

T: roasty, chocolate, not as much pecan as I was hoping for. Very hard for me to pick any out. Who knows, maybe it is just not hitting on my palate. YMMV? Tastes good. Don't get me wrong. It tastes good. Just not getting the pecan. Maybe more will come through as it warms.

M: Pretty solid. Nothing special. Medium+ carbonation.

O: a good beer. Probably wouldnt buy again if I'm looking for a pecan porter. Probably would buy again if I'm just looking for a tastey, reasonably priced beer.

3.74/5  rDev +3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Genghis Pecan is on a rampage. A rampage to invigorate my palate. Naming it after the infamously unyielding conqueror was no mistake. This thing packs a punch. However, I've had several "pecan porters" before. They are quite delicious, generally, but are also often quite sweet. This one distinguishes itself as a "pecan pie porter," so I was saving it for when I needed a sweet desert. Big mistake. This is by far the least sweet pecan porter I've ever had. I have no idea where the pie is supposed to come in. It went straight from Genghis to raw pecan. The great Khan clearly had no time to bake a damn pie. So THAT is a misnomer. Still a great stout, though. Very very nice bitter roasted malt flavour. And that's what dominates despite the fact that it's supposed to be pecan flavoured. So, for a decent stout, this is a decent beer, but if you want something sweet or something really pecan-flavoured, this is not the way to go.

2.79/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

22 oz bottle pours a mostly black color with a bubbly khaki head. Retention and lacing are both a tad below average. Bonus points awarded for a great label and beer name.

Nose is definitely sweet...with caramel, simple syrup and a misplaced black licorice aroma. One-dimensional for sure and the lack of darker malt aromas has me a bit worried. Where's the pecans??

Taste still shows this odd flavor of black licorice, it just doesn’t fit here. The sweetness is not as over the top as I thought it would be, and comes across mostly in the form of burnt caramel and roast. I do get a little bit of roasted pecan in here, but it kind of astringent and not very nutty. Nor is the beer very pie-esque. Mouthfeel on it basically sucks...its flimsy, one-dimensional, flat tasting and has no direction or flow. Some of Clown Shoes beers I find to be quite delicious...this one, however, is not one of them...Mr. Khan would go ape shit on Massachusetts if he got wind of this.

3.28/5  rDev -9.6%

I won't go into all the fancy stuff with you, I will just say that the key to this one is FORGET THE WORDS "PECAN PIE" - It's just a solid Porter Beer that packs a punch, that's it.

I wouldn't Drainpour it or pass up a free one but, it's also not one I would hunt down.

3.82/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.75

22oz bottle from Total Wine. Poured into a Duvel glass...

A: Pours an opaque black-brown with a caramel, 3-finger head of sudsy foam; not much retention sticks around... therefore, no lace.

S: Smells like a typical porter - dark chocolate, sweet malts, some distinct roastiness; smells good, but there's no pecan / pecan pie going on here.

T: Chocolate malt; light coffee notes; very sweet finish; has great porter taste - but again, the pecan pie is lacking, aside from the sweet finish, at least... still, pretty tasty.

M: Full body; high carbonation; nice texture and very smooth.

O: Pretty drinkable. I guess my gauge of drinkability is "would I ever buy a growler of this?" and for this brew, I think I would. The pecan or pecan pie is definitely not there, but that doesn't necessarily take away from this being a good porter. It would probably pair nicely with pecan pie!

4.25/5  rDev +17.1%