Crunkle Sam | Clown Shoes

2.5/5  rDev -36.5%

2.5/5  rDev -36.5%

3.17/5  rDev -19.5%

3.25/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Ok, I admit, Clown Shoes beers have not been one of my favorites. I keep on trying them, my co-workers love them and I respect their beer knowledge and tastes.
I have liked most of the Clown shoe brews I have tasted, but the one thing that keeps me in the drak is the aftertaste. I cant put my finger on it, but its just something I do not like.

Crunkle Sam was an good overall Barley Wine. It had all the major ingredients into which a good beer should be. It had a nice nose, the mouthful was big, in fact very big, there was a nice balance between malt and alcohol,

But still in the end there was something I just did not like Its not been with just one clown shoes but most of those I have tasted

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.27/5  rDev -17%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.25

I picked up a bottle of this at the local Total Wine. I try to avoid 22oz bottles but this one was reasonably priced at $7.99, I have had some decent Clown Shoes beers, so I thought "Why not?" This was bottled on 6/13/13. Hopefully the last six months have done this one good.

Pours clear and a rusty cherry color. As far as appearance goes, this one is damned near perfect for the style. Fluffy, frothy, creamy, two finger sized light caramel colored head forms on top. The lacing is amazing and the retention is awesome as well.

Aroma is alcoholic and fruity. Alcohol hits the nose first, followed by some tropical fruits like mango, pineapple, and peach. Huge dose of caramel malt. This one seems like a huge malt bomb. I am not generally a big fan of this style for that reason; lets see how she tastes.

Oh boy. Sweet, syrupy, fruity, alcoholic. Oddly enough there is a strong hop bitterness in the finish that really lingers. Seems way out of balance and not very cohesive. Plenty of caramel with some toffee. Not really a fan.

The mouthfeel is thick and chewy and probably pretty good for the style. This one is definitely one of those beers that takes over an hour to drink due to the sweetness and alcohol. I can already feel the hangover from this one. Not a fan. This one definitely needs more time; very raw tasting.

3.31/5  rDev -16%

Pours a murky, dark amber with just over one finger of head that had good retention. The head eventually settles to a thick cap with a lot of lacing being left down the glass.

Smell is of old hops, toffee, caramel, bread, and alcohol. No date on the bottle but it smells like the best part of the beer has already faded away.

Some citrus hops are tasted however. All the bitterness is still there and gives some balance to the huge malt bill. Probably would be a real good barleywine extremely fresh or well aged. I got it in the transitional phase and it is not as good as it should be. A lot of booze in the flavor covers up a lot of the subtle malt notes. Definitely hot in the finish.

Big and robust body. Expertly carbonated as well. Nice smooth, creamy soft feel.

Maybe Clown Shoes should bottle date their bottles so I would not give their beer mediocre scores. Would be an interesting experiment to see if the alcohol heat mellows out with time.

3.4/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Appearance - 4.25/5
Pours a medium-deep orange-red, quite clear, with about a finger of tan head. A sparse amount of carbonation can be seen rising up the beer.

Smell - 3.5/5
Floral hops, a chocolatey-roastines, wine-like alcohol.

Taste - 3.25/5
Strong hops taste, strong alcohol taste. Slightly sweet. A little bit of roasty caramelized-sugar malts. Not my favorite flavor by far, but drinkable.

Mouthfeel - 3.5/5
Medium bodied, light carbonation. In between creamy and crisp.

Overall - 3.25/5
This was an okay beer. Will definitely not get again.

Crunkle Sam from Clown Shoes