Very Angry Beast

Gots
SCORE
World-Class
Very Angry BeastVery Angry Beast
Notes: We decided to bring back Very Angry Beast, a classic from the Irate Beast series. The creature became so agitated, however, he busted out from the old label right into the parking lot of our brewery. Man, we'd better corral this bad boy, or the damages are gonna be tough for the insurance company to cover! The beer? It's a blend of Undead Party Crasher and Blaecorn Unidragon, 100% Bourbon Barrel aged and also, 100% Angry!
Reviews: 66 | Ratings: 438 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by The-Adjunct-Hippie:
2.52/5  rDev -41.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

I wanted to like this beer, I really did.

Dark brown/black color with a beige-brown head of 1/2 finger.

Nose : The first note I get hit with is this extremely tannic, sickly, sweet, mushy bourbon aroma. It sets off all the wrong bells in my brain and I want to push it away immediately. Fake cherry tootsie-pop; acrid, burnt barrel; burnt sugar; char, and old plum. If this were a scotch ale I'd probably be more forgiving. It just smells like old beer sitting in a bucket. It's very off-putting and nauseating.

Flavor is much like the nose but hotter and more intense. It brings the addition of tobacco and whiskey to the table, like a back room saloon poker game. Acidic and perhaps infected barrel, vanilla-roma air fresheners, and dirt. Again, old beer in a bucket, but with heat and a cardboard vanilla tree.

Feel is hot and sticky, burning, dry. Sorta thin.

Overall, I'm not sure if age killed this one but I'm not terribly impressed. I discovered this in my cellar just chilling there. It was stored well, but I have no idea for how long. Possibly a couple of years. I mean, cardboard...cherries, that could be infection, but it just seems like this beer isn't suffering from that - it's suffering from a terrible beer to begin with. I've had 4 ounces and I'm completely done. There's leagues of bourbon stouts out there that are much much better.

4.4/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Along with Vampire Slayer, the original Angry Beast was one of the beers that first turned me on to Clown Shoes. I still have a bottle of the first Very Angry Beast release that I look forward to trying soon side-by-side with the 2018 batch, but for now, this rating is for the 2018 revival.

4.65/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%