Very Angry Beast | Clown Shoes

1.48/5  rDev -65.3%

2.25/5  rDev -47.3%

2.52/5  rDev -41%
look: 4 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

I wanted to like this beer, I really did.

Dark brown/black color with a beige-brown head of 1/2 finger.

Nose : The first note I get hit with is this extremely tannic, sickly, sweet, mushy bourbon aroma. It sets off all the wrong bells in my brain and I want to push it away immediately. Fake cherry tootsie-pop; acrid, burnt barrel; burnt sugar; char, and old plum. If this were a scotch ale I'd probably be more forgiving. It just smells like old beer sitting in a bucket. It's very off-putting and nauseating.

Flavor is much like the nose but hotter and more intense. It brings the addition of tobacco and whiskey to the table, like a back room saloon poker game. Acidic and perhaps infected barrel, vanilla-roma air fresheners, and dirt. Again, old beer in a bucket, but with heat and a cardboard vanilla tree.

Feel is hot and sticky, burning, dry. Sorta thin.

Overall, I'm not sure if age killed this one but I'm not terribly impressed. I discovered this in my cellar just chilling there. It was stored well, but I have no idea for how long. Possibly a couple of years. I mean, cardboard...cherries, that could be infection, but it just seems like this beer isn't suffering from that - it's suffering from a terrible beer to begin with. I've had 4 ounces and I'm completely done. There's leagues of bourbon stouts out there that are much much better.

2.68/5  rDev -37.2%

3.25/5  rDev -23.9%

3.56/5  rDev -16.6%

3.58/5  rDev -16.2%

This is my first clown shoes beer and I have passed them up for a couple months but I've been a sucker for barrel-aged stouts lately. I think this was $14 which I normally wouldn't pay sight unseen but I had read good reviews here. Appearance is standard for the style and while the head is short it lingers. First whiff off the bottle is chocolate. Subsequent sniffs at the glass are mostly subtle smoke. Flavor is a bit of candy and booze, easily stands out as barrel-aged. This is pretty decent but it is no BCBS or Parabola. I don;t think I would buy this again.

3.67/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Drank from a 1 pint, 6 fl. oz. bottle purchased at Cambridge Wine & Spirits, Cambridge, MA
Bottled on 07/18/13
Served in a snifter

Thick and oily, near pitch black appearance. The liquid was topped by a tight, creamy, bubbly, one-finger crown of tan colored foam. Spotty, drippy lacing coated the glass and lasted long after the beer was finished. The head eventually faded to a lasting cap of froth.

The aroma was rich and robust. Quite sweet with chocolate fudge notes coming through strong. Lots of bourbon and brown sugar. Oaky. Intense dark fruit notes appeared as well. Raisins and plums were most noticeable.

The flavor profile was tasty but rather harsh. Roasted malts came through strong on the front end. Hefty dose of char. Good amount of brown sugar-like sweetness. Fruity with notes of raisins and prunes. Hints of espresso and smoke appeared in the center. The finish was really hot and bitter. Between the boozy, whiskey-like notes and the copious amounts of piney hops, finishing my glass was a bit of a chore.

The mouthfeel was much thinner than I anticipated for a beer of this magnitude, but nevertheless creamy and smooth. Frothy and supple on the palate.

I love supporting local breweries, but I am consistently disappointed by Clown Shoes's "big beer" releases. Most are overly boozy, astringently roasty and far too thin in body. Why they continue to get such solid reviews is baffling.

3.71/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

3.73/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance - The beer was black with a slight mocha head.

Smell - The nose is lightly boozy chocolate.

Taste - At the beginning, I get the booze with light chocolate and some sweet malts. There is a metallic taste here that ruins it for me. Did I cellar this too long? The thickness combines with licorice for the finish.

Mouthfeel - The thickness is pleasantly coating with low carbonation.

Overall - I wanted to like this, but the metallic taste killed it for me.

Very Angry Beast from Clown Shoes