Abeelsen Stout | Brouwerij Strubbe

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

Added by Naerhu on 10-20-2005

Reviews by Naerhu:
1.91/5  rDev 0%

A - Huge brown head on a jet black body.
S - Light chocolate and lots of malt.
T - This is a joke, right? This beer is so sweet its not palatable. I have never had a beer anywhere near this sweet before. No bitterness, light charred malt, just horrid sweetness.
D - This beer has to be brewed for the intention of being used as a gag gift.

3/5  rDev 0%

33cl Brown bottle, brewed for the fantastic farm/beer shop known as Cuvelier Noel's in Abele.

I decided to pour this beer into my Westmalle chalice, so it can breath and look good, it did! Sadly the lovelly foaming tanned head soon became just a collar and an isolated wispy island in the centre of the chalice. The body was a clear, rich, deep ruby red.

The smell is fairly 'fairground toffee apple sweet', add a bag of treacle, some 'Bazooka Bubble Gum' and you'll be half way there. The taste is sweeter. Now I'm into sweet things, but like my beers to be a little less so than this. If however you are into sweet milk stouts, this is the baby for you.

The alcohol pops up towards the end of each sip as the sweetness begins to dry out in the mouth. All in all interesting, but too sweet for me. I've averaged to scores out because I feel that is only fair, nothing wrong with this, just very sweet.

Best before 4th Aug 2010, it was reviewed and consummed on 25th Apr 2010.

Abeelsen Stout from Brouwerij Strubbe