Ichtegem's Grand Cru | Brouwerij Strubbe

brouwerij-strubbe.be

Style: Flanders Oud Bruin

Added by audiojon on 05-07-2006

4.27/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Tangy. Tastes a little like a cross between a beer and a wine.

4.27/5  rDev +12.7%

Had this one on-tap at Hopleaf. It was served in a tulip glass.

The appearance is reddish-brown, and somewhere between translucent and opaque. Served to me with a very small head of foam, no lacing was left behind as I drank it.

The aroma that I got immediately was a nice fruity character, some yeast, and also a bit of a vinegar presence. There was also some oak and vanilla, but it was the fruit that dominated.

The taste is very nice. It is not as sour as some other sours that I have had, but there is a nice balance between fruitiness and acidity that appeals to me. Right off I can taste the fruit, cherry or perhaps raspberry. This is followed up by a nice acidity that does not overwhelm me. It finishes with a nice oak taste.

Mouthfeel is a little on the thin side but overall not to distracting. Some carbonation is there also, although it could probably benefit to have a bit more.

The drinkability is high on my scale. The sour taste is such that it cleans my palate and tells me to keep coming back for more, yet there are enough other things going on that it never becomes too much. This beer will not blow you out of your seat in terms of sourness like some Flanders, but I think that it is still a nice representation of the style.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottle was a gusher and lost about a 1/4 of it. Pours a deep Amber with off white head. Medium lace on the glass. Aroma is strong tartness with dark fruit. Flavor is tart but not overpowering. Dark cherries, light malt, and a Belgian candi sugar finish. Medium bodied with high carbonation. Overall aside from being highly carbonated, this is a great sour!

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

Brown, lighter brown head. On tap at Mikkeller SF.

Funky, sorta metallic, fruity.

Cherry's what I first said, then I read sour apple on here. I'll stick with the former. Pronounced, forward, anything but shy, like a tart dubbel. The yeast and malt are prominent. This is as close as I'll get to enjoying a sour. I can't ever really pick up the alcohol with sour's either.

Ichtegem's Grand Cru from Brouwerij Strubbe