Ichtegem's Grand Cru | Brouwerij Strubbe

Brouwerij Strubbe
brouwerij-strubbe.be

Style: Flanders Oud Bruin

Added by audiojon on 05-07-2006

Cloyingly sweet. Mouthfeel is very syrupy

3.03/5  rDev -18.8%

Shared with Cavery.

A: The lacing makes a crazy horror story spiderweb along the sides of the glass. The color is a murky brown-reddish, and sort of looks like a fishbowl for sea monsters.

S: True to the style, I get a big whiff of cherry pie, or those cherries you cook with booze until they flame up. I also get a little whiffers of almond. The smell is actually not very powerful; I found myself sniffing until I felt a little light-headed. Then, I gave up.

T: Not nearly as tart as some other Flanders Red Ales I've had, and therefore, sort of a bummer. Light and bread-y, like sourdough with like...some cherry jam on top. Like the smell, I keep smacking my mouth to get some flavor flav. Nope.

M: Lightly fizzy with a weird, bread crust aftertaste.

O: In the tearful words of Tyra Banks "I was rooting for you!" I really did want to enjoy this, but the light, funky flavor had me feeling ripped off. It's not an "offensive" beer, it just doesn't blow me off my swivel chair.

3.04/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Not to my taste. A little too sweet and woody for me with the taste of the barrel.

3.05/5  rDev -18.2%

Where to start with this one. After drinking, i realized it may not be a style that I will covet in the future, but I will rate it for what it it.
Poured a rather cloudy, dark reddish brown with a nice head and lacing.
Smell was rather fruity and sour..hints of maybe pear and plums with a strong bite of sourness.
Taste was in a word....sour! More sour than any beer I have ever had. But thats what its supposed to be. Kind of reminded me of hard cider..with some oak melding through the sourness.
Mouthfeel was ok...not a beer I will buy again.

3.06/5  rDev -18%

Best before date on the cap says 23-03-2015.

A: Murky brownish red, rust colored body. Slightly off white loose/large bubble foam head. Barely leaves lacing on the glass. Not much if any visible carbonation.

S: Immediately it smells like sourdough bread/starter. A little bit of alcohol. Wet books... Not much else.

T: Sour with just a little sweetness. As it warms, the sweetness comes through a little more. Different than any other sour I've had. I get seville orange (bitter orange), grapefruit, oak maybe? Light bitterness at the finish. Pretty good, but one dimensional and straightforward character. It doesn't have that certain..."there's something hidden here" taste that I have come to expect from a Flemish Red.

M: Lightly fizzy carbonation. One of this beers stronger areas to me. I liked it.

D: Pretty good, but this beer was kind of "basic". Not really what I was expecting. It's good, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get another one. Not really worth the $4 for the 11.2oz bottle.

3.08/5  rDev -17.4%

3.08/5  rDev -17.4%

This beer pours a red heavy amber in color, between light and medium in body with a white lacing around the glass. It smells of lightly sour milk and of a stale amber ale. It's really, really subtle for the style and doesn't offer very much. It tastes of a sweet and soured malt. There isn't much complexity, isn't any vinegar, but it does have a light Miracle Whip component. It drinks light and is equally between sweet and an actual sour. It's mediocre all around. I expected more from a Grand Cru, despite the ratings.

3.1/5  rDev -16.9%

A: The pour is a dark brown color with some red notes when held up to the light. The head is a thin, but sturdy, layer of tan foam.

S: There is a very pleasant acidity to the nose along with some excellent notes of oak. There are also hints of vinegar and cherries.

T: The flavor is overwhelmingly woody, offering tons of oak. The initial onslaught is followed by a mild acidity and a sweet, candy-like finish.

M: The beer is quite dry (despite the sweetness in the flavor), which is probably due to the excessive carbonation.

D: As pleased as I was with the nose, I find the flavor to be a bit disappointing (to say the least). The fact that the beer is so heavily carbonated didn't do much for me either.

3.11/5  rDev -16.6%

I had this beer on tap back at Beachwood BBQ Sour Fest, and do not remember particularly digging it, but I found a bottle at Holiday Wine Cellar to give it a second go.

Pours very dark red, nearly brown. One finger of a light tan head which displayed good retention and lace. Smells of buttery caramel, raisins, slightly musty, absent of all but the slightest tartness. Based on the aroma, it would be difficult to peg this as a Flemish Red.

Tastes of raisin, brown sugar, and a mild tart, mineral-like flavor to it. Not particularly tasty. Missing all of the tartness, acetic, or oak characters that I look for. Medium bodied, with a somewhat smooth medium level of carbonation. I finished the bottle, but was glad it did not come in a 750 mL size.

3.15/5  rDev -15.5%

Opaque brown with a thick and solid tan head. Good retention and a few lacey dribbles. I'm open to interpretation but I want my Flanders Red...well, red.

Aroma is sweet and sour grape mixed with cherry Fun Dip. Steely sour taste mixed with grape Blowpop.

Decent but but monotone and fairly watery. I've been exploring the Flanders red style as of late and so far this is the most lackluster of the bunch.

3.15/5  rDev -15.5%

Poured into my duvel tulip from a bottle.

A: muddy cinnamon brown with two solid fingers of light beige head, Nice web of lace left behind

S: tart cherries mixed with caramel and brown sugar, hint of vanilla and maybe figs, trace of funk

T: inital sour punch is brief, this turns quickly into loads of caramel malt and then nothing, it's like a quarter of a beer, you get sour and malt then water, I suppose you could call that a clean finish. HA!

M: light and bubbly

D: Overall another clunker from the sour beer crew, I had high hopes for this one.

3.15/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle. Date of 11 mei (may?) 2016. Poured into a HOTD tulip.

Appearance- Brown with reddish highlights. Dirty white head that dissipates to a film. 4.5/5

Smell- The tartness that I smell first makes my mouth water. Cherries and some tart apple is there. 4.5/5

Taste- Funky green apple. There is a malt meatiness to the middle of it. Weird taste around the edges. Maybe rotten fruit? I wish there was a little more of a sourness or tartness to the taste as there was in the aroma. 2.5/5

Mouthfeel- Medium mouthfeel. Lower carbonation than I expected. 3/5

Overall- Bummer. It started out great and I was really excited until I tasted it. I thought there was going to be more of a sour tartness to it. There wasn't. I also expected more carbonation. Bummer. 2.5/5

3.17/5  rDev -15%

Poured this 11.2 oz. brown bottle into a Tripel Karmeliet glass. No date, it's oud. Dark brown/chestnut body, not a lot of red.Nearly opaque. The filmy head remained.

Smell was sour and a little syrupy. Not as tart or vinegary as expected. Earthy yet "clean".

Taste was also not as tart as expected/hoped for. Woody. Raisins. Sweetness up front with a tart finish. Light dryness.

Mouthfeel was mild in the beginning with a zesty swallow.

3.17/5  rDev -15%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

3.17/5  rDev -15%

picked this up because I have never seen it and it was a flanders..

but I wasnt really feeling it.. not very sour
it was good
it pours a froathy brown, I didnt hate it but i felt like I was drinking a newcastle, and for the money I think it would rather just drink newcastle

3.17/5  rDev -15%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.18/5  rDev -14.7%

A bottle split with oglmcdgl. I've had this a few times.

The liquid comes out looking dark reddish in hue with some brown strokes set within. A nice fuzzy coca cola like head skims up with some tightness and a off tan color to it. No stick on the glass. Smell is pretty much deep vinegar with some faint cherry scent and some grain. Trace amounts of caramel notes, but this one is all about the vinegar. Taste is sweet over sour and it's very apparent. Vinegar, cherry, cola, sweet malt, you get the picture. Very reminiscent of Duchesses. Feel is less than medium, a nice crisp carb and not acidic, not a pucker inducing beer, but pleasant, I just cant stand the vinegar. I could only drink 6oz of this before passing on it.

Ichtegem's Grand Cru from Brouwerij Strubbe