Dark Construct Stout | Roth Brewing Company

3.83/5  rDev +7.6%

2.75/5  rDev -22.8%

4.5/5  rDev +26.4%

1.34/5  rDev -62.4%

I hope I just had a bottle from a bad batch, because this was the worst stout I have ever tasted. Distinctive medicinal aromas and an aftertaste that tasted like cigarette ashes. This must be a start-up brewery that can't afford to throw away a bad batch. Can't say that I would be willing to try this again. Just too bad of an experience.

1.92/5  rDev -46.1%

Surprisingly forceful pop from the cap as the bottle opens. Black liquid pours into my glass, releasing a torrent of finely-bubbled brown head. Very little liquid settles in the glass initially; almost an 80/20 ratio of head to body lets me know something's wrong.

A quick whiff and a small taste confirm that it is, unfortunately, infected -- and not marginally so. Tart medicine roars to life, assuring me no traces of the roasty stout base remain. Ugh... I was really looking forward to this one too :(

I debated whether or not to review Dark Construct based on this bad bottle, but since none of the other reviews mentioned infections, I feel obligated to get the word out on this batch. I look forward to replacing this review if/when I can get my hands on a non-infected bottle.

4.2/5  rDev +18%

A very nice stout, with good taste but also easy to enjoy (not a stout that requires use of a spoon, but still one that has a feel to it). Nice, deep, color and a good, lively taste and smell. Also have to compliment the taproom and staff, who spent an extended period on a slow afternoon discussing brewing.

2.75/5  rDev -22.8%

3.8/5  rDev +6.7%

22 oz

Pours jet black with a coarse coffee-and-cream head, dissipates slowly with some bubbles clinging to the glass.

Smells of dark chocolate and roasted coffee beans, with some oak hints.

Tastes of bitter cocoa and roasted coffee with some minor coffee acidity and maybe a twinge of licorice.

Body on the fuller side, a bit viscous, with a soft carbonation.

A pretty good medium strength stout with a good body and an okay taste. Not much to complain about here. I've had better stouts, but I've had far worse too.

4.25/5  rDev +19.4%