Big Shot Espresso Stout (Timberline Series) | Twisted Pine Brewing Company

good
Big Shot Espresso Stout (Timberline Series)Big Shot Espresso Stout (Timberline Series)

Twisted Pine Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
twistedpinebrewery.com

Style: American Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2005

3.47/5  rDev -5.4%

3.36/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is basically alcoholic coffee. If you like the taste of coffee, you'll love this stout. Very strong flavor dominates the beer. Dark as night, just a little bitter, just like a dark roast. I'm not a coffee drinker, so this wouldn't be my choice of stouts, but I had it anyway and knew it was well made. Would also try other offerings from this brewery if available where I was at the time.

3.48/5  rDev -5.2%

3.25/5  rDev -11.4%

Onyx black, shiny and vibrant color. Thick foamy head forms from the agressive pouring to last longer than I expected, solid looker. The aroma combines a clear coffee aroma, like fresh ground beans, and sort of smokey, dark roasted malts. The hops are subdued but seem to add a bit of pine in the smell. Taste upfront is slight espresso notes, toffee and nuttiness. Hops are far outweighted by the strong coffee and the loads of dark malts. Just a bit of astringnet bitterness in the finish, rather dry.

Despite hightened expectations, I found this stout to be short on the coffee and short on flavor. I was expecting bold coffee, burnt-to-a-crisp malts and equal amounts of sticky hops. This was a barely mediocre. Not bad for the price I guess, I still do enjoy the coffee notes in the nose, but overall I found this beer failed to meet most of my expectations.

3.64/5  rDev -0.8%