Billy's Chilies Beer (Timberline Series) | Twisted Pine Brewing Company

Billy's Chilies Beer (Timberline Series)Billy's Chilies Beer (Timberline Series)
3.35/5

Twisted Pine Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
twistedpinebrewery.com

Style: Chile Beer

Our chili beer is made with five different kinds of fresh chili peppers. Rich pepper aroma greets you when the bottle is opened, followed by its satisfying beer taste and then subtle spiciness.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-14-2006

1.06/5  rDev -68.4%

Thanks to hopdog for the opportunity...
Appears a light gold with a small white head that quickly fades into a mild cap that dissipates. No lacing, or CO2 are present.
Smell is of chili peppers, and mexican food with a bad salsa gone awry.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas...not sure what else to say. I'm at odds and not really sure what to say.
Mouthfeel is hot...spicy, that is. Pretty gross. Sorry, I just don't have that much to add. It's peppers, it's hot, it's a spicy salsa beer. Hmmmm.

1.48/5  rDev -55.8%

I've never had to pour out a beer until this one. I am ashamed that I had to do this to a beer. But as this beer doesn't have anything really to attribute to a beer it happened.

The appearance was good with the head that came off and then reduced to thin lacing. The smell had some hops to it but then the chilies came to power. The taste was just pure chili. If you want nothing else to taste but chilies this would create a dream beer for you. But as I enjoy the combination of all the different aspects of a beer, this one lacked everything that in my mind makes a beer.

1.59/5  rDev -52.5%

Looks like Bud Light, with that mysterious juice that's left in the jalapeno jar added. It even refracted light in that weird viscous way that left-over pickle juice does. The smell is earthy. I, having read the label, knew that it was peppers right away...so I asked my wife (pregnancy having given her the nose of a bloodhound) to give it a wiff. She identified carrots, potatoes, and other fruits of the earth. Nothing that belongs in a beer bottle, I assure you.

The flavor was, in a word, awful. I can't say I've had other chile beers, and this example will make me think twice before I do. After this beer, the fact that I have a bottle of Rogue Chipotle in the fridge is terrifying.

1.68/5  rDev -49.9%

Is this a joke? Had I only had one of these, I would have been sure someone spiked my beer and then recapped it. With what, you might ask, does it taste like it has been spiked? Well, to be honest, I'd say: a rotten bell pepper, some Tabasco sauce, and a dead hamster.

I actually drank a couple of these while on a ski trip last year. I has as many from the 4-pack as I could handle, as they were almost unbearable, and decided to age one for a year (Actually, I left it with a buddy in CO and prayed that it would eventually make itself disappear, but sadly, every time I visited, it was still in his fridge.) I had hopes that with time, the chili flavors would mellow and blend. Here is the review of my revisit to Timberline hell:

A: Pours straw gold with a thin, sparse micro-bubbles and a ghost-shit head that fades to a ring around the glass.

S: Bell pepper and unpleasant vegetable flavors overpower any other aroma.

T: Honey sweetness is the only thing distinguishable beyond the head and veggie tastes from the peppers.

M: Light with decent carbonation.

D: Lower than a snake's belly in a wagon rut.

So yes, even after a year, this remains the worst commercially-produced beer I have tried. The chili has not mellowed enough to make it drinkable, and again, I found myself breaking the eleventh commandment and pouring out the beer after sampling.

In almost every aspect - smell, taste, mouthfeel - this is merely an underhopped clone of bud light, but one that has been doused in fiery vegetable flavors that completely destroy any reminants of a drinkable beer.

1.69/5  rDev -49.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

This is a fine beer for making chili, and that's about it. I can't drink this. It's just too harsh on the peppers. It's like drinking straight pepper juice.

1.75/5  rDev -47.8%

1.76/5  rDev -47.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.25

Yuck yuck yuck yuck and more yuck!

1.78/5  rDev -46.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.75

vomitous, rancid, my first straight chili beer and probably the last.

Had on tap at Disney's Epcot Center

L: Pours a clear light golden color with a thin white head.

S: Chili peppers and vegetables.

T:/F: This tastes pretty awful. Chili peppers and tobasco sauce with an unpleasant chili burn. No other detectable flavors. Carbonated and kind of fizzy.

O: I very much disliked this beer and would have dumped it had I gotten more than a 4 oz pour. Mild chili flavor can augment a beer but it sure can't carry one. Maybe worth trying once for the novelty.

2.11/5  rDev -37%

Not much of s fan of spicy/pepper beers, it's alright

2.18/5  rDev -34.9%

The beer pours a golden color with a white head. The aroma is very similar to the juice you get in canned jalapenos, with some sweet biscuit malt also thrown in. The flavor is a mix of bread and jalapeno notes that burns the throat as it goes down. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Not one of the better hot and spicy beers I have tried.

Billy's Chilies Beer (Timberline Series) from Twisted Pine Brewing Company