Reilly's Oak Whiskey Red | Twisted Pine Brewing Company

twistedpinebrewery.com

Style: American Strong Ale

Added by Bitterbill on 06-05-2008

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last

Picked this up on a recent trip to Denver and Wyoming.

Pours a reddish brown color with a thick, creamy off-white head and some lacing.

Vanilla and wood aromas dominate, with some peach flavors.

Vanilla, bourbon and wood flavors dominate with some subtle peach flavor in the background. Also detect some mild spiciness.

Rich and creamy with a medium-body mouthfeel to it.

I thought it was fairly easy to drink. Had a nice balanced flavor - just enough bourbon flavor without it being overpowering. A very good beer.

3.83/5  rDev +8.2%

Thanks goes out to Bitterbill for this brew.

Pours a cloudy amber color, nice carbonation, nice two-finger creamy off-white head, with some very nice creamy sticky lacing left behind. Then nose is malty, with some notes of peach, oak/bourbon. The taste is malty, slightly sour, with some oak/bourbon tones. Medium body, this is a creamy/smooth brew. Drinkable, this is my first Twisted Pine brew, not too bad, thanks Bill.

3.93/5  rDev +11%

This pours a hazy, nah, more of a cloudy rust colour with a nice 2 finger head of foam.

The smell sure does have a strong presence of bourbon but I also get a slight nose of citrus but I had to really sniff a lot to get it.

The taste is TEH BOURBON. Sorry for shouting but that intial sip screamed bourbon and I had to reflect that in my review. ;^) Btw, I *do* like bourbon so no problems yet.

There are more flavours here...some good vanilla and toffee, some fruitiness, a slight tartness mid palate, and the finish has a nice bitterish kick to it. Nice. And there's definitely some warming here after the swallow so the drinkability suffers somewhat.

The moutheel initially feels like it's on the thick side(very silky) but overall, I'd call it medium. Good stuff! Btw, the head retention is first class as there's still about a 1" solid layer and I'm down to the last 1/3rd of my glass.

Ok, I've had a few barrel aged brews before. Some I liked, some I didn't. This one tasted different enough to keep me interested for the entire session and I take my hat off, yet again, for this small Colorado brewery. Well done Twisted Pine! I'd buy it again.

3.13/5  rDev -11.6%

Autumn color. Full long lasting foam. Aroma has different dimensions. Notes of bourbon with vanilla and oak as well as a lot of tropical fruit notes from the hops. Oak whiskey flavor of vanilla and whiskey. Very light texture. Hardly any malt characteristics. Tropical fruit hoppiness, which blends decently with the barrel aging. Very watery texture. Not very flavorful or complex. I don't see how this could achieve the accolades it did.

3.11/5  rDev -12.1%

12 oz bottle. Pours a reddish brown with a fine off-white head that quickly diminishes to a thin film that leaves some lacing.

The aroma is sweet sugary caramel malts, cola, dark fruits and bourbon.

The flavor is pretty subdued - sweet caramel malts and cola with a touch of harsh bitter alcohol in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, not that great. It's a bit of a mish mash with some harsh alcohol that I don't care for.

3.37/5  rDev -4.8%

Review based on notes

Pours an orangey amber with 1 finger of sand colored head. Average lacing & head retention

S: Oakyness & that's it

T: Dry, some caramel & brown sugar up front. More dryness as this warms. Finishes very oaky & dry with some caramel & vanilla

MF: Syruppy with minimal carbonation

Drinks alright, too damn oaky & dry for me, nothing special here

4.07/5  rDev +15%

GABF 2007 gold medal winner for barrel aged beer.
Pretty interesting item. It's not exactly well publicized that this comes from Twisted Pine unless you look really carefully.
Pours a pretty dark brown color with a little bit of head on the top, but not too much. It's somehwat murky and not a lot of light is making it through this one. There's no ABV listing, but it looks to be moderately strong based on the carbonation.
Smells pretty divine. Bourbon being the primary flavor, with a malty caramel sweetness following up.
The taste combines vanilla, lots of bourbon, caramel, chocolate, and a brown-ale like nuttiness. Probably the most potent bourbon flavors I've ever tasted in a beer, yet they don't kill off everything else. The vanilla and nuttiness are definitely there in full force. The whiskey flavors come on strong, but they're really only on the front end. Nice! Reminds me of a whiskey barleywine, but with a brown ale's texture.
Goes down easy and smooth. I polished one off pretty quickly and could've had another. It also made a really good pairing with some gravy beef tips. I don't know how strong it is, but I'd imagine it's in the 7-8% range. I think the whiskey overtones make you think it's stronger that it probably is. I don't think I'd ever drink more than 2, but that's just the nature of the style, too.
I'll revist this one for sure. I've had quite a few beers like this at the GABF, but this one takes the cake for actually getting lots of new flavor from the whiskey barrel.

(Edit): After bottle #2 I realized that if someone really doesn't like Bourbon...you'll want to seriously avoid this beer. This time around the whiskey flavors came on a little stronger. I suppose it makes sense considering this was truly aged in a barrel and the flavor pockets might be a little uneven. Either way, this is not for those who don't care for bourbon.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last