Ghost Face Killah

Jan 11, 2011
SCORE
Poor
Ghost Face KillahGhost Face Killah
Notes: Made with 6 chiles including Anaheim, Fresno, jalapeƱo, serrano, habenero, and ghost chile.
Recent ratings and reviews. | Log in to view more ratings + sorting options.
Ratings by outdoor7or24:
3.23/5  rDev +8.4%
by outdoor7or24 from Georgia

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass.
A: pours a clear gold body, some champaign like bubbles and light white foam head, carbonation
S: hot pepper aroma, light grain, hint of hops
M: light body like a kolsh
T: intense pepper up front and after heat drops a tad you can taste some light grain malt build with a small bit of hops. Some green vegetable flavors show up in the latter part but due to pepers heat takes over.
O: cool brew to try IF you like very hot peppers, otherwise it will make you dislike the brew. Glad I tried, definitely the hottest brew I've ever tried and I like chile brews.

Sep 12, 2016
More User Ratings:

2.99 by Ajlvt from Washington on Jan 12, 2020
3.8/5  rDev +27.5%
by skisnowing from Colorado

too hot, but nicely paired with billies chilies (same brewery) to make a spicier billies. :)

Jul 22, 2019

3.75 by Griffith from Connecticut on May 15, 2019
by GuyFawkes from Illinois

Smells of very, very spicy peppers. I'm worried.

Yellow-orange in color, very carbonated but the head subsides quickly.

For being so light, it's very opaque. No lacing.

This is brewed with the 'ghost pepper', second hottest in the world, with 5 other hot peppers as well.

Flavor? Holy shit, this is so spicy it's hard to drink. First drink brings sweat to my brow and upper lip. You're basically drinking liquid heat. No beer flavor present at all. Too much for this sissy-boy; drain pour.

Mar 31, 2019

3.65 by westcoastbeerlvr from California on May 28, 2018
by VG1 from Colorado

Its not for everyone.

But I don't believe you should knock it just because its too hot for your taste.

I believe a chile beer should make you feel like you had something hot. To me that is the whole point to a chile beer. This beer is the hottest chile beer I've ever tried. And it has a good taste. Yes I can taste the beer, but I'm used to hot food. I'm sure it will be too hot for many to taste any flavor beyond the heat.

Nov 22, 2017

3.5 by Beerhemoth from Illinois on Sep 03, 2017

2.6 by BeerTest from Florida on May 04, 2017
4.05/5  rDev +35.9%
by sjdevel from Utah

Look: Cloudy pale orange-ish/brown. 1 finger head upon pour, but died out very quickly. Poor head retention for sure. Not much of a foam ring left behind and no real lacing.
Smell: Smells spicy. Roasted peppers and an funky fruity earthiness. A bit of a dirty scent.
Taste: Powerful blast of flavor. You get smoked/roasted peppers and malts. Sweet caramel. A touch of bitterness. Then the heat really cranks up. Flavors go away for a bit because of the heat level, but once it fades, you start to get a drier malty beer with some charred wood flavor.
Feel: Pretty thin. Lack of bubbles makes it uninteresting in the mouth. Still a medium bodied brew.
Overall: I really like crazy hot peppers and food. If you are used to mild salsa and the hot kind it too much for you, do not grab one of these beers. I get a nice burn from this beer - it's plenty hot. There are nice sweet flavors to offset some of the heat. It may be out of balance, but I do like this one for an occasional novelty. I had a few of them over the past 2 years - and try to keep 1 or 2 on hand. You never know when its a good time to break one of these out... maybe to challenge a few friends.

Apr 15, 2017
4.28/5  rDev +43.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5
by BIgBeerHunter707 from Missouri

Wow spicy as hell but the feel is amazing!! What a beer I mean hot sauce!!! lol not kidding though!

Jan 25, 2017
3.16/5  rDev +6%
by atr2605 from New York

A-pours a hazy straw color with a white fizzy head that fades quickly
S-lots of peppers, some sweet malt
T-hot spicy peppers, and not much else. heat continues to build and lingers on the palate
M-medium-light bodied with higher than average carbonation
O-not my style of beer, I like spicy food and this was tough to enjoy

Oct 16, 2016
by cosmicevan from New York

an extra from a trade from some point in time...not sure how old or fresh this is. I know I have had this for a WHILE. decided to pop alongside a ghost scorpion, cause I was bored. from a sniff I knew this wasn't for me but when it touched my lips...what a mistake. YIKES. this 's a joke right?

Oct 09, 2016

3.16 by madelf66 from Pennsylvania on Oct 01, 2016
4.29/5  rDev +44%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25
by StevenMilligan from Florida

Look: 12oz bottle poured into a shaker glass. Golden yellow, cloudy with no head and light bubbles rising to the surface.
Smell: Peppers...duh. Smells like the inside of a bell pepper. Burns the nostril. Beginning to think I might be getting ready to drink hot sauce.
Taste: I'm not going to be that guy. That guy who says it's not hot. But, maybe I was just bracing myself. I went into habenero sculpin blind it made we sweat bullets. This stuff is definitely hot, but it has a lot of flavor. Serrano and jalapeno are decipherable, but then it just begins the burn. It didn't make me sweat, but it does provide a nice burn. It didn't kill my lips like habenero sculpin did either, more of the throat. Heat doesn't come in waves too much, it's just pepper flavor, the burn, and more burn, but without a drastic increase in intensity.
Feel: Weak bodied, and watery.
Overall: Try it for the novelty. Don't expect to drink this quick. It really gave me a bad case of the burps. I recommend it over habernero sculpin and billie's chilies. Flavor-wise it knocks both of those out of the park.

Sep 18, 2016
4.26/5  rDev +43%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4
by logicalparadox from New York

Chile beers are one of those categories I love because they are hard to do well. Often they come across either overwhelming or underwhelming and few strike the right balance. This one, however, finds balance while being overtly aggressive. Habanero Sculpin is no joke, but think of that one like a Hiroshima... this one is an H bomb.

Really pale with an explosive, but quickly dissipating and large-grained head.

Chile aromas JUMP out of the glass. You don't even need to sniff, just be nearby as it's being poured. Not just heat, but smoky/earthy/fruity hints that speak of true chile essence. You get nuance of those different chiles: jalapeno, habanero, and anaheim in particular.

Flavor is off the charts. This has a real kick. It's hot. Not a beer for those who don't truly want to feel some burn. It gets hotter as you go. Probably the hottest chile beer I've yet tried. The malts and grains play a back seat here, supporting the chile much the way they do for hops in a hoppy beer. Hops, if present, are so well integrated as to not be readily apparent in the face of the thermite grenade of flavor that hits you upon first sip. Finish is dry, refreshing, and with a long, lingering burn that releases fruity and savory chile notes as it fades.

Medium bodied. Crisp enough to contrast the heat level, but with enough backbone to carry the flavors and satisfy.

Overall, I was impressed. One I'll be getting again, for sure. Usually, this much heat would be too much for a beer, but somehow they make it work. Great conversational beer, as it's going to be very, very divisive and people will either love it or hate it.

Aug 25, 2016
1.11/5  rDev -62.8%
by Graybeard49 from New Jersey

Hey they warn you so if you drink it it's on you;)
It's really a hot sauce mixed with a little beer.
I'm a beer loving chili head so I finished the whole bottle.
You can use this to:
Make a great Michilada
Cooking anything you want to add heat to
Opening you sinuses when you are stuffed up

Jul 27, 2016

2.95 by Pacioli1445 from South Dakota on Jun 24, 2016

2.33 by zeuiax from New York on Jun 03, 2016

1 by calcnerd from Pennsylvania on Jun 03, 2016
3.25/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25
by JohnnyHopps from Indiana

This beer is hot. Amid the burn, I could not detect any beers quality. I loved the nose, as it smelled of fresh picked peppers. If you can't take heat, skip the beer and do not complain it is too hot. You are going to burn. After the novelty of trying the beer, I probably will not do it again

Apr 18, 2016
2.89/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3
by hoptheology from South Dakota

The label got a face lift. I was always curious to try this one but never did, until my girlfriend actually brought me one home. So now it's time to give it a shot.

It pours a pale blonde color, almost white out of the bottle. The head is 2 fingers but diminishes speedily leaving hilly lace.

Aromas of pepper seeds - red bell, jalapeno, serrano. Underneath that are musty malts and and bright grains.

Flavor - holy shit, this is hot. Like whoa hot. My entire collarbone/throat/neck are on fire. From one perspective it's impressive, from another, it's not really enjoyable. Nothing but heat can be sampled. Nothing. Just PEPPER and BURN. I feel I need to take another drink to quench the burn, but that's just going to be a vicious cycle. It's like drinking pepper oil.

Feel is light bodied, carbonated...um...feel........what else, fire? Nose is running, need a tissue...

I can respect this beer, but I drained most of it, even after I let my g/f try it. It was just too hot to enjoy. Hence my overall score. The heat is incredible on this, you'll break out in a sweat. If you drain most of it, you can't enjoy it, and enjoy it we did not.

Apr 04, 2016

2.9 by 10Crumra from Texas on Mar 26, 2016
4.02/5  rDev +34.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4
by tylerstravis from Colorado

This is not an everyday beer, but you feel like a nice kick in the face this fits the bill.

I understand the poor ratings, but if you don't like it HOT then what the hell are you doing?

Yes, this is hot. Very hot... And I put ghost pepper hot sauce on everything.

Frog in my throat is weird though :)

Feb 07, 2016

4.26 by Bitterbill from Wyoming on Feb 03, 2016

1.31 by Dreynolds1808 from Texas on Feb 01, 2016

3.29 by Fireman_RK from North Carolina on Jan 27, 2016
1.86/5  rDev -37.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5
by timmy2b from New York

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a golden clear color with a very small head and no lacing. Scent is very much of hot peppers. The taste is too spicy. The ghost pepper is prevalent, but there is no let down in heat on the tongue and the back of the throat. Wife could not even drink more than 3 sips and this was her beer. I got two sips and quit. Just too much and no balance of heat to flavor.

Jan 23, 2016

2.59 by Cramerican from North Dakota on Jan 20, 2016

2.48 by Jkolls from Ohio on Jan 19, 2016

2.09 by Sweffin from Wisconsin on Jan 03, 2016
1.32/5  rDev -55.7%
by mmmbeer89 from New Mexico

woooooo! This is a hot one, It will leave a burn in your throat. They weren't kidding about it being the ''hottest beer this side of hell''. It pretty much just tastes like pepper juice with little to no beer flavor. I tried it with 2 other people and we didn't make it past 1/4 of the beer. You're a champ if you finish one and a lunatic if you drink more than that at once.

Jan 02, 2016
2.08/5  rDev -30.2%
by PorterLambic from Florida

Hazy golden color. Head, what head?
Smell is medicated bandage and nothing else.
Taste is similar but restrained. Peppers are noticeable, light malt, nothing else.
Medium-ish body, lighter end for carbonation. Warms the tongue. Not for the faint of heart nor for those who don't like spicy. Overall, not really worth drinking.

Dec 17, 2015
1.44/5  rDev -51.7%
by KDO6209 from Texas

Golden color pours well, Slight peppery smell, weak mouth feel. Taste, well it reminds me of accidentally grabbing the spit can of Copenhagen without the mouth feel. I like chili Beers this beer is just nasty. All heat no acceptable flavor.

Dec 17, 2015

3.04 by shigg85 from Japan on Nov 30, 2015

1.61 by Jcarriglio from Florida on Nov 23, 2015
4.23/5  rDev +41.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25
by ChemEBeerGeek from Singapore

This beer does exactly what is says it does! Initial malt profile, with pepper hitting2 seconds later and filling a mild burn from the throat to the nasal cavity! Well done! It could be a bit clearer, possibly a cold break, and for the amount of oils from the peppers the head retention wasn't bad. For anyone liking spicy foods this is a serious try!

Nov 16, 2015
2.78/5  rDev -6.7%
by BSotR from Florida

I Saw a chili beer made with the ghost pepper and, as lover of peppers, I had to try it. The golden color was about what I expected, and I grew excited upon smelling the what was predominately pepper, with just a hint of malt. I expected a flavorful beer with a good kick that. I was right about the kick which is hotter than the average person would normal accept, but I was disappointed with the flavor. There was little to no flavor that stuck out as beer. While it did taste strongly of peppers, there was no definition to it. I had to really focus on picking out the individual peppers and in the end barley noticed the hints of sweetness that you get from the habanero peppers in it. Mostly though it was like dried cayenne. I decide to grab a different beer and use the rest as a base for a marinade for my chicken fajitas. I don't think I'll ever buy it to drink, but I will buy it to try in some other recipes.

Nov 15, 2015
1.22/5  rDev -59.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1
by tigg924 from Massachusetts

Pours hazy gold, with one inch head that goes quickly. Smell is green vegetables. Taste is heat and liquid peppers. This is the hottest beer I have ever had. My mouth is burning. Reminds me of Cave Creek chili beer. I like a well balanced chili beer but this does not have much beer taste at all. If you like drinking straight hot sauce, this is your beer. Not for me at all.

Nov 07, 2015