Ghost Face Killah | Twisted Pine Brewing Company

Colorado, United States
twistedpinebrewery.com

Style: Chile Beer

Availability: Spring

Made with 6 chiles including Anaheim, Fresno, jalapeño, serrano, habenero, and ghost chile.

Added by Todd on 01-11-2011

2.75/5  rDev -11%

Muthafu****, thanks Mike! 12oz bottle into Bell's tulip.

A - Pours a slight hazy orange/yellow color, not much white foam, thin ring, wisps.

S - Lots of peppers, very peppery-hot, and that's about it for me.

T - Ouch, this one hurts my mouth/throat/stomach/etc. Very hot, tons of chili peppers, would be good to mix into a mild salsa but not good to continue drinking.

M - 3rd degree burns on the inside of my body. I tried not to spill any on my cloths or furniture for fear or catching on fire. Light carbonation but the peppers add a spitz that makes up for that.

O - Well, the name is cool and it's f'n hot. So, I think they pretty much captured what they went out to do here. I couldn't drink much, but it's def as-advertisted. Hot a shit. If you like hot salsa or anything with peppers, try this. Hurts to drink, so that's a negative.

2.78/5  rDev -10%

I Saw a chili beer made with the ghost pepper and, as lover of peppers, I had to try it. The golden color was about what I expected, and I grew excited upon smelling the what was predominately pepper, with just a hint of malt. I expected a flavorful beer with a good kick that. I was right about the kick which is hotter than the average person would normal accept, but I was disappointed with the flavor. There was little to no flavor that stuck out as beer. While it did taste strongly of peppers, there was no definition to it. I had to really focus on picking out the individual peppers and in the end barley noticed the hints of sweetness that you get from the habanero peppers in it. Mostly though it was like dried cayenne. I decide to grab a different beer and use the rest as a base for a marinade for my chicken fajitas. I don't think I'll ever buy it to drink, but I will buy it to try in some other recipes.

2.78/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

12pz bottle poured into Gandhi Bot tulip. Thanks Josh (thebigredone) for this unique extra.

A- Pours a slightly hazy translucent golden with about a finger of white head that recedes fairly fast, decent carbonation with nice consistency.

S- Harsh peppers, pepper seeds, Tabasco sauce, grass. Definitely not the most pleasant smelling beer but what do you expect from having so many different peppers in this.

T- Starts off with some light orangey sweetness with a little bit of corn starch and earthy peppers that provide some heat. Finishes with a dry pepper taste bringing out a much more intense heat that lingers for a long time. The pepper heat on the finish basically kills any other flavors there might be. Far from the hottest thing I've tried, but easily the hottest beer I've had.

M- Extremely dry which brings out the pepper heat more, decent carbonation, medium bodied.

O- This is definitely a novelty beer and not exactly a beer that is meant to be "enjoyed", they designed this beers or sole purpose to be as hot as possible. This is one of the beers we did at a big chili beer tasting and it was definitely the hottest one there although others had "ghost" and "scorpion" peppers. This isn't something you want a full glass of, they probably should have bottled it in 4-6oz nip bottles as those would have been more then plenty. An interesting beer to try especially if you are into hot stuff, but not something I'd be itching to try again.

2.79/5  rDev -9.7%

Ghost Face Killah pours a golden yellow orange color with a white head.

The aroma of this beer is intense and is a warning to anyone who is bold enough to drink it. The intense peppers and spice are like a kick in the face and are almost enough to burn the nostrils.

From the first sip this beer burns, and it burns all the way down the throat, and it continues to burn for a few minutes after each taste. It burns so much that you can hardly taste anythings else.

Not sure why anyone would drink this beer unless it is on some sort of a dare. I could not make it through a bottle and would only use it for cooking. The beer is just too spicy to to drink and you can not taste anything in the beer other than fire.

2.84/5  rDev -8.1%

Appearance: Poured a hazy orange with little to no head at all.

Smell: The aroma was roasted peppers. And more peppers.

Taste: Really wasn't much flavor. Your lips are immediately hit with fire. Then your throat catches on fire. DEEP BURN!

Mouthfeel: A bit on the thin side. Carbonation was low.

Overall: For a novelty beer it did what it promised. Burned. I can't really knock it because it didn't really promise anything other than that. My expectations were met. I personally didn't enjoy it but for the novelty aspect it was great! For the beer flavor aspect? Not so much.

2.85/5  rDev -7.8%

Pours out what looks like urine the next morning after a long night of drinking. It's dark yellow.. with a bit of carbonation coming up the center. Had a foamy white head that dissipated in a matter of seconds.

The smell is of burn. You definitely smell the heat hiding in this beer. But you keep smelling you can smell the sweetness from the other peppers as well. Pretty much smells like liquified peppers.

How's it taste, Ralph? Good?

It tastes like burning... ohhhh...

It taste almost like cayenne pepper in a malt beverage. There is a hint of sweet from the weaker peppers, but that goes away rather quickly when the heat hits. It's not overwhelmingly hot(for me, I love spicy foods) but it is freaking WARM. Warms you all the way down to your gut. I mainly taste peppers... wow.

Mouthfeel is just oily and warm. medium bodied, but that matters not with this beer.

Overall it's a gimmick beer, and I love the idea of it. Makes me pine for Ghost Pepper Sculpin if anything.

WARNING: If tobasco gets you hot and bothered, don't try this beer.

2.85/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A gimmick beer. Better than Eds Cave Creek because the beer part is better. Instead of a lame pepper juice taste, this one provides a full-bore hot pepper experience. If you like this sort of thing, the beer is well crafted. For me, this is too much hot pepper, not enough beer.

Pours a hazy apple cider color with a fizzy white head that dies fast with no lacing. Aroma is rich, pungent hot peppers, not much in the way of beer smell.

Taste is a mild ale until the hot pepper kicks in. The effect is not an undrinkable blast but rather a slow destruction of the taste buds. If you are into this sort of thing, you could call this a slow sipper. As someone looking forward to a Father's Day BBQ after drinking this, I was more concerned about tasting my food later on than finishing this beer.

Mouthfeel is a blast of hot peppers on top of a mild ale.

Overall, for me - a drain pour. For someone that likes this sort of thing, it is worthy of finishing. Not a poorly crafted drink, just not something I would want to experience beyond about a 2-3 oz sample.

2.85/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle into a nonic pint glass. I was really looking forward to this one - if only for the novelty factor alone.

A: Pours a cloudy golden color. The head is a one finger white shade that retains very poorly.

S: File this one into the "no shit" category: it's full of ridiculously hot peppers. Plain and simple, it smells like acid reflux. Yay?

T: This actually has more to it than just bowel-fuckingly hot peppers. For a brief minute, it has slight touches of initial tropical fruit (like mango and papaya). Then, the midtaste becomes quite smoky, and then pure fiery heat descends. I also detect notes of pine and phenolic plastic. I'm surprised how complex this is; no it doesn't layer itself in a finessed manner - but there is a rock-solid depth to it. In terms of heat, it's not really that far off from a spicy michelada, nor is it the hottest thing I've put in my mouth. If anything, it hits the hallmark objective of what a spicy tongue-fucker should achieve: can you taste more to it than just stupid chile heat? If anything, the huge phenolic notes are the biggest detractor for me, not the spiciness.

M: For sure, one burns the palate with searing heat. This destroys the palate far better than any IPA could hope to achieve. It's clean and dry enough where the heat actually doesn't last ridiculously long on the palate, though. Still, I can really feel it in my esophagus, retro-nasals, and stomach - and I can really feel acid reflux setting in, too.

O: It's actually not the hottest thing I've ever had before - but it's one of the hottest things I've ever drank (only a couple of bloody marys or micheladas that I overspiced really challenge it). It gets a 4.5 just for the experience; it's certainly not pleasant, but it's somehow fun to drink. I reckon this would make an awesome adjunct to chili, as well.

2.86/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.87/5  rDev -7.1%

Brown glass bottle with twist off cap acquired at Lukas Liquor in Lone Tree and served into a Bull & Bush pilsner glass in me gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Reviewed live. Expectations are low.

Served straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours no head whatsoever. Body colour is a clear pale copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Looks about right for the style.

Sm: Chili pepper in gratuitous quantities. Sweet jesus, that's all there is. Smells like pure habanero. Just smelling it is starting to prepare my perspiration glands. A strong, seizing aroma.

T: Fairly spicy, but not awful with a sip. Heavy chili pepper and chili skin, sure, but it's not as bad as youtubers and beer amateurs would have you believe. A bit vinegary, actually. Acidic. Roasted pepper. It's nowhere near as spicy as I anticipated. No alcohol comes through. No yeast character. I imagine that pale malts comprise the foundation, but they're well buried. I wouldn't say I like it; it's imbalanced as all hell. It's a surprisingly decent chili beer, though. It's definitely one note. Most of the spice is in the aftertaste; if you drink too much it'll hit you in the throat.

I had milk on hand while reviewing, but I didn't end up needing any. Don't let the sensitivists convince you that it's as spicy as the brewery's marketing team wants us to think it is.

Mf: Smooth and wet, but the mouthfeel is widely irrelevant here. Adequately carbonated, with good thickness. The texture here is just a means of enabling you to consume it.

Dr: Surprisingly drinkable given its reputation. Reading some of the other reviews, I didn't think some of my fellow beeradvocate members were such panzies. This really isn't that bad as long as you sip it. Still, it'd be real tough to quaff. I'll have a bit of trouble killing this glass, but I expected it to be intolerable.

Largely a gimmicky marketing ploy. Meh.

C