Ghost Face Killah | Twisted Pine Brewing Company

Colorado, United States
twistedpinebrewery.com

Style: Chile Beer

Availability: Spring

Made with 6 chiles including Anaheim, Fresno, jalapeño, serrano, habenero, and ghost chile.

Added by Todd on 01-11-2011

Reviews: 180 | Ratings: 581
3.16/5  rDev +2.3%

A-pours a hazy straw color with a white fizzy head that fades quickly
S-lots of peppers, some sweet malt
T-hot spicy peppers, and not much else. heat continues to build and lingers on the palate
M-medium-light bodied with higher than average carbonation
O-not my style of beer, I like spicy food and this was tough to enjoy

an extra from a trade from some point in time...not sure how old or fresh this is. I know I have had this for a WHILE. decided to pop alongside a ghost scorpion, cause I was bored. from a sniff I knew this wasn't for me but when it touched my lips...what a mistake. YIKES. this 's a joke right?

4.29/5  rDev +38.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Look: 12oz bottle poured into a shaker glass. Golden yellow, cloudy with no head and light bubbles rising to the surface.
Smell: Peppers...duh. Smells like the inside of a bell pepper. Burns the nostril. Beginning to think I might be getting ready to drink hot sauce.
Taste: I'm not going to be that guy. That guy who says it's not hot. But, maybe I was just bracing myself. I went into habenero sculpin blind it made we sweat bullets. This stuff is definitely hot, but it has a lot of flavor. Serrano and jalapeno are decipherable, but then it just begins the burn. It didn't make me sweat, but it does provide a nice burn. It didn't kill my lips like habenero sculpin did either, more of the throat. Heat doesn't come in waves too much, it's just pepper flavor, the burn, and more burn, but without a drastic increase in intensity.
Feel: Weak bodied, and watery.
Overall: Try it for the novelty. Don't expect to drink this quick. It really gave me a bad case of the burps. I recommend it over habernero sculpin and billie's chilies. Flavor-wise it knocks both of those out of the park.

3.23/5  rDev +4.5%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass.
A: pours a clear gold body, some champaign like bubbles and light white foam head, carbonation
S: hot pepper aroma, light grain, hint of hops
M: light body like a kolsh
T: intense pepper up front and after heat drops a tad you can taste some light grain malt build with a small bit of hops. Some green vegetable flavors show up in the latter part but due to pepers heat takes over.
O: cool brew to try IF you like very hot peppers, otherwise it will make you dislike the brew. Glad I tried, definitely the hottest brew I've ever tried and I like chile brews.

4.26/5  rDev +37.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Chile beers are one of those categories I love because they are hard to do well. Often they come across either overwhelming or underwhelming and few strike the right balance. This one, however, finds balance while being overtly aggressive. Habanero Sculpin is no joke, but think of that one like a Hiroshima... this one is an H bomb.

Really pale with an explosive, but quickly dissipating and large-grained head.

Chile aromas JUMP out of the glass. You don't even need to sniff, just be nearby as it's being poured. Not just heat, but smoky/earthy/fruity hints that speak of true chile essence. You get nuance of those different chiles: jalapeno, habanero, and anaheim in particular.

Flavor is off the charts. This has a real kick. It's hot. Not a beer for those who don't truly want to feel some burn. It gets hotter as you go. Probably the hottest chile beer I've yet tried. The malts and grains play a back seat here, supporting the chile much the way they do for hops in a hoppy beer. Hops, if present, are so well integrated as to not be readily apparent in the face of the thermite grenade of flavor that hits you upon first sip. Finish is dry, refreshing, and with a long, lingering burn that releases fruity and savory chile notes as it fades.

Medium bodied. Crisp enough to contrast the heat level, but with enough backbone to carry the flavors and satisfy.

Overall, I was impressed. One I'll be getting again, for sure. Usually, this much heat would be too much for a beer, but somehow they make it work. Great conversational beer, as it's going to be very, very divisive and people will either love it or hate it.

1.11/5  rDev -64.1%

Hey they warn you so if you drink it it's on you;)
It's really a hot sauce mixed with a little beer.
I'm a beer loving chili head so I finished the whole bottle.
You can use this to:
Make a great Michilada
Cooking anything you want to add heat to
Opening you sinuses when you are stuffed up

3.25/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

This beer is hot. Amid the burn, I could not detect any beers quality. I loved the nose, as it smelled of fresh picked peppers. If you can't take heat, skip the beer and do not complain it is too hot. You are going to burn. After the novelty of trying the beer, I probably will not do it again

2.89/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3

The label got a face lift. I was always curious to try this one but never did, until my girlfriend actually brought me one home. So now it's time to give it a shot.

It pours a pale blonde color, almost white out of the bottle. The head is 2 fingers but diminishes speedily leaving hilly lace.

Aromas of pepper seeds - red bell, jalapeno, serrano. Underneath that are musty malts and and bright grains.

Flavor - holy shit, this is hot. Like whoa hot. My entire collarbone/throat/neck are on fire. From one perspective it's impressive, from another, it's not really enjoyable. Nothing but heat can be sampled. Nothing. Just PEPPER and BURN. I feel I need to take another drink to quench the burn, but that's just going to be a vicious cycle. It's like drinking pepper oil.

Feel is light bodied, carbonated...um...feel........what else, fire? Nose is running, need a tissue...

I can respect this beer, but I drained most of it, even after I let my g/f try it. It was just too hot to enjoy. Hence my overall score. The heat is incredible on this, you'll break out in a sweat. If you drain most of it, you can't enjoy it, and enjoy it we did not.

4.02/5  rDev +30.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This is not an everyday beer, but you feel like a nice kick in the face this fits the bill.

I understand the poor ratings, but if you don't like it HOT then what the hell are you doing?

Yes, this is hot. Very hot... And I put ghost pepper hot sauce on everything.

Frog in my throat is weird though :)

1.86/5  rDev -39.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a golden clear color with a very small head and no lacing. Scent is very much of hot peppers. The taste is too spicy. The ghost pepper is prevalent, but there is no let down in heat on the tongue and the back of the throat. Wife could not even drink more than 3 sips and this was her beer. I got two sips and quit. Just too much and no balance of heat to flavor.

1.32/5  rDev -57.3%

woooooo! This is a hot one, It will leave a burn in your throat. They weren't kidding about it being the ''hottest beer this side of hell''. It pretty much just tastes like pepper juice with little to no beer flavor. I tried it with 2 other people and we didn't make it past 1/4 of the beer. You're a champ if you finish one and a lunatic if you drink more than that at once.

2.08/5  rDev -32.7%

Hazy golden color. Head, what head?
Smell is medicated bandage and nothing else.
Taste is similar but restrained. Peppers are noticeable, light malt, nothing else.
Medium-ish body, lighter end for carbonation. Warms the tongue. Not for the faint of heart nor for those who don't like spicy. Overall, not really worth drinking.

1.44/5  rDev -53.4%

Golden color pours well, Slight peppery smell, weak mouth feel. Taste, well it reminds me of accidentally grabbing the spit can of Copenhagen without the mouth feel. I like chili Beers this beer is just nasty. All heat no acceptable flavor.

4.23/5  rDev +36.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This beer does exactly what is says it does! Initial malt profile, with pepper hitting2 seconds later and filling a mild burn from the throat to the nasal cavity! Well done! It could be a bit clearer, possibly a cold break, and for the amount of oils from the peppers the head retention wasn't bad. For anyone liking spicy foods this is a serious try!

2.78/5  rDev -10%

I Saw a chili beer made with the ghost pepper and, as lover of peppers, I had to try it. The golden color was about what I expected, and I grew excited upon smelling the what was predominately pepper, with just a hint of malt. I expected a flavorful beer with a good kick that. I was right about the kick which is hotter than the average person would normal accept, but I was disappointed with the flavor. There was little to no flavor that stuck out as beer. While it did taste strongly of peppers, there was no definition to it. I had to really focus on picking out the individual peppers and in the end barley noticed the hints of sweetness that you get from the habanero peppers in it. Mostly though it was like dried cayenne. I decide to grab a different beer and use the rest as a base for a marinade for my chicken fajitas. I don't think I'll ever buy it to drink, but I will buy it to try in some other recipes.

1.22/5  rDev -60.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

Pours hazy gold, with one inch head that goes quickly. Smell is green vegetables. Taste is heat and liquid peppers. This is the hottest beer I have ever had. My mouth is burning. Reminds me of Cave Creek chili beer. I like a well balanced chili beer but this does not have much beer taste at all. If you like drinking straight hot sauce, this is your beer. Not for me at all.

1.06/5  rDev -65.7%

Tried this with some friends. I normally like spicy things but this was far too much.

L: Lighter than I expected, almost yellow.
S: It even smells hot - there's nothing else there except the spiciness/heat.
T: There's no beer taste whatsoever - it's completely overpowered by the chiles. I'm pretty sure I could have breathed fire after just a mouthful of this.
F: It's too hot to comfortably sip at all.
O: No. My friends were cooking chili and ended up putting it in there, where it will probably be better served versus ever drinking it again.

3.67/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle, purchased as a single, for about $3.95 (can you say hype?)

Pours clouded dull lighter amber, with lots of sediment kinda stuff floating around. Minimal head, film, collar and no lacing.

Strong pepper on the sniff.

This shite is HOT...as a chili pepper head and enjoyer, this one is the real deal.. ...if you do not enjoy the aroma flavor and yes burn of copious amounts of capsaisin / chili pepper flavor and heat, stay away...but if you do..this one just may be for you....I found it tasty and enjoyable...I dont really feel like another one...one will do just fine....probably would be a nice and tasty addition to a pot of fiery chili...enjoy with caution!

3.81/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz. Bottle

Pours a nice slightly cloudy golden amber color, very nice carbonation, with a nice one-finger creamy off-white head, which leaves some sticky lacing. The nose is hoppy, with some nice malt notes, some pepper/spice notes. The taste is pretty good, hoppy, slight malt note, very spicy/hot for a beer. Medium body, with a slightly dry/bitter/hot finish. Overall, a very tasty/nice brew, surprised the shit out of me how hot/spicy this brew is, might be a little bit hotter than the Stone Crime, but a lot less ABV.

2.45/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

This beer is almost an endurance challenge.just reeks of chiles which is what it says i suppose.this was too much for me,so spicy and gave me heartburn for an hour after 1 sip.a novelty beer.

3.06/5  rDev -1%

Reviewed from notes. Shared by Jeremy. An experience I never want to have again. Heat followed by more heat. Destroyed taste buds. A golden chili bomb.

3.94/5  rDev +27.5%

Yeah, the ratings are all over the place on this one. Is it a chile "beer"? The label says "malt beverage." Big, thin, foamy head that immediately dissipates, leaving no lacing. Aroma is peppers, not much else. Mouthfeel is thin and watery. But the taste is just as you'd expect: no perceptible beer flavors to speak of, just a long and lingering heat. Stay with it long enough and you begin to pick up some of the fruity hints of the habañero and ghost chilies. Not entirely unpleasant. It is what it claims to be, and that's OK by me.

3.65/5  rDev +18.1%

Poured from the 12 oz bottle into a Mason Jar, golden brew with no head, aroma was fresh peppers and not much else. With the first taste your mouth fires up with pepper heat...just like the label implies...it goes on to light up your throat. By the 3rd sip you might think DRAIN POUR...I never have done that and hope never to have to. No lace to be had but the heat get more acceptable as you drink on, you get a little beer taste when you have about 3 drinks left. Overall I think this does what is says on the label, it is a gimmick beer but fun to try. As a true Chili Beer it falls short because you can't really taste the beer but I rated it for the label...it's designed to shock the mouth...which it did.

3.61/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Notes from 1/28/15

A - One finger of fizzy, white head that quickly dissipates to nothing. Poor lacing and effectively no retention. Deep, clear golden body with plenty of visible carbonation.

S - Raw, vegetal chili pepper (jalapeño), some dried chills (cayenne). Sweet, fruity (apple) maltiness.

T - Sweet fruitiness that I can't nail down because it quickly moves to dry cayenne and earthy, vegetal, smokey spiciness (chipotle in adobo). Finish is linger spiciness that you'd get from a fresh jalepeno, membrane and seeds included. Fruitiness comes through again in the finish but not enough to balance out the burn.

M - MEdium carb. Body is tough to get ahold of because the pepper is tongue swelling hot. Obviously, a spicy, tongue burning finish.

O - Nice interplay between dried and fresh hot peppers. The fruity sweetness (maybe apple juice) balances nicely with the heat. I'm not sure how great the underlying beer is, but its a great, intensely hot beer. If you can handle a fresh jalapeño with seeds and membrane, you can handle and enjoy Ghost Face Killah.

3.64/5  rDev +17.8%

Kinda tasted like a crappy beer saved by ghost pepper. I enjoyed the heat till about half way through the bottle and had to recap it. It's getting an over 4 because I cooked my dogfish brats in the ghostface and it added nice kick. Good for cooking, not for drinking

Ghost Face Killah from Twisted Pine Brewing Company