Ghost Face Killah | Twisted Pine Brewing Company

Colorado, United States
twistedpinebrewery.com

Style: Chile Beer

Availability: Spring

Made with 6 chiles including Anaheim, Fresno, jalapeño, serrano, habenero, and ghost chile.

Added by Todd on 01-11-2011

Liked:
2.98/5
Alströms:

3.37/5  rDev +13.1%

Liquid heat. Yellow body with rapidly dissipating white foamy head. Don't get me wrong, I like my chile beers, but this is something burning pain. I am writing this 5 hours later and still feeling it. Its absolutely not too drinkable, so the rest of it is going into my slow cooking stew for later in the week.

3.74/5  rDev +25.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: hazy orange body with no head.

S: lots of chili and peppercorn. Habaneros, Hot sauce.

T: Pretty ridiculous. Its like having 2 parts hot sauce, one part water. This burn lingers for a long while. Might as well stop any beer tasting you may be a part of for a while after this one. But actually, the flavor is excellent.

M: no idea. It just burns.

Overall: a must try and a must share. Perhaps 4 oz bottles would be better.

4.06/5  rDev +36.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This beer doesn't get the respect it deserves. It's a great chile beer and delivers in exactly what it claims to.

3.34/5  rDev +12.1%

Thanks to jmgrub for sharing this one at his tasting.

Pours a clear yellow with a foamy tan head that fades to nothing. No lacing on this one. Smell is all about the different peppers used but overall the aromas are pretty tame and quite nice actually. Taste is nothing but incredibly hot pepper flavors with an intense heat that burns the lips, mouth, and throat with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is definitely a novelty beer and I am pretty sure nobody would realistically go for an entire bottle themselves. Quite interesting but a grueling experience to sample.

2.5/5  rDev -16.1%

3.4/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

i know what they say about this one, but i can get behind it. it pours an unassuming lazy light amber color with a small white head. nothinig special right? wrong. "hey benny, try this brew" okay, ill try it. BOOM whoa, this is straight fire. nothing but a deep habanero burn all the way down the throat. reports from my housemates indicate that its hot on both ends as well, oh jeez. cant taste much but the heat at first, but underneath it i can tell lies a beer that is actually pretty good, some malt to it, and even some hops (i can just tell). the peppers basically ruin your night of beer drinking, better save the russian river sours for another day because you wont taste them. feel of this beer is brutal, because it destroys all sensation in the mouth and throat, and actually hurts a little. overall i respect it for what it is, but i will never touch this to my lips again. my roomate however drank a whole one, and claimed to like it, so to each his own i guess...

2.75/5  rDev -7.7%

3.24/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

This beer poured out as a very clear looking yellowish orange color. The head was white for the moment that it lasted. The clarity of the beer was much different than I expects since I had seen pictures of this beer before and it was a hazy looking orange color that reminded me of volcanic lava. The head retention and lacing don't exist on this beer at all, too many pepper oils kill off the bubbles I'm assuming. The smell of the beer is loaded with pepper aromas, not much else really. The taste of the beer has a very quick malt sweetness up front that is quickly torn to shreds by the pepper flavors. The beer is spicy, it is something that needs to be sipped unless you can tolerate this type of thing. The mouthfeel it light bodied and moderately carbonated. Overall it's not something I would ever need a full bottle of. I drank only 6 oz. and it took me a while to get through it. This beer was an adventure for sure, but not one that I need to go on again.

3.15/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.25

A: The beer is relatively clear deep yellow in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a thin white head that quickly died down, leaving delicate lacing on the surface and a thin collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Moderate to strong aromas of chili pepper varieties are present in the nose.
T: Much like the smell, the taste has a mélange of different chili pepper flavors that linger through the finish and persist into the finish.
M: It feels medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation along with an intense amount of heat from the chili peppers. The heat doesn't really go away.
O: This beer actually has nice complexity in the smell and taste for a chili beer as you can detect sever of the different types of peppers; however I would consider this to be undrinkable unless you are a person that can easily handle buffalo wings with suicidal hot sauce.

2.87/5  rDev -3.7%

Brown glass bottle with twist off cap acquired at Lukas Liquor in Lone Tree and served into a Bull & Bush pilsner glass in me gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Reviewed live. Expectations are low.

Served straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours no head whatsoever. Body colour is a clear pale copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Looks about right for the style.

Sm: Chili pepper in gratuitous quantities. Sweet jesus, that's all there is. Smells like pure habanero. Just smelling it is starting to prepare my perspiration glands. A strong, seizing aroma.

T: Fairly spicy, but not awful with a sip. Heavy chili pepper and chili skin, sure, but it's not as bad as youtubers and beer amateurs would have you believe. A bit vinegary, actually. Acidic. Roasted pepper. It's nowhere near as spicy as I anticipated. No alcohol comes through. No yeast character. I imagine that pale malts comprise the foundation, but they're well buried. I wouldn't say I like it; it's imbalanced as all hell. It's a surprisingly decent chili beer, though. It's definitely one note. Most of the spice is in the aftertaste; if you drink too much it'll hit you in the throat.

I had milk on hand while reviewing, but I didn't end up needing any. Don't let the sensitivists convince you that it's as spicy as the brewery's marketing team wants us to think it is.

Mf: Smooth and wet, but the mouthfeel is widely irrelevant here. Adequately carbonated, with good thickness. The texture here is just a means of enabling you to consume it.

Dr: Surprisingly drinkable given its reputation. Reading some of the other reviews, I didn't think some of my fellow beeradvocate members were such panzies. This really isn't that bad as long as you sip it. Still, it'd be real tough to quaff. I'll have a bit of trouble killing this glass, but I expected it to be intolerable.

Largely a gimmicky marketing ploy. Meh.

C

3.75/5  rDev +25.8%

1.95/5  rDev -34.6%

Tried this for the novelty and I hate my mouth.

A - Poured out a slightly hazy orange color with a small, short-lived white head of foam. It left little to no lacing.

S - Smelled fire-y hot with the aroma of peppers. Not much else.

T - Wow! It burns. It just burns. I could only taste pepper in liquid form.

M - I think it was crisp and sharp, but not really sure. It makes your lips hurt.

O - I drank it for the experience with a friend. He may not ever drink any beer I ever pour for him. So more for me!

2.42/5  rDev -18.8%

This review will be very simple, because let's face it, if you know what are you are opening, you know what you are getting into.

Doesn't pour very much head. I only took a few ounces of this one. Color is a hazed pale yellow.

Aroma/Taste: Massive amounts of hot peppers. Pretty much the only thing you can taste is peppers and lots of them.

Mouthfeel: Burning. Lots of burning. Hard to leave this in your mouth very long because it is so hot.

Overall, it really isn't enjoyable because of how hot it is. I love peppers, but there was too much in this beer to make the beer drinkable. Definitely a novelty beer.

2.75/5  rDev -7.7%

3.8/5  rDev +27.5%

Thanks to Rudzud for sharing.

Very light fizzy head hazy honey color.

Nose smells like pure hot peppers, light malty ale, capcasin, pepper flesh.

Quite hot, lots of spice and hot pepper, very nice pepper flavor, mostly hot on the throat, light malty ale, heat hits hit at first but doesn't linger too long, light earthy quality, nice great that really hits you but doesn't destroy. Finish long heat and nice pepper flavor, light sweet sticky malt.

Mouth is med bodied but feels slightly thin as there isn't much base over the pepper, quite hot of hot peppers.

Overall pretty nice, good heat that doesn't overpower, quite hot, nice pepper flavor too.

2.7/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

A: Pours a crystal clear medium yellow in color with moderate amounts of active visible carbonation streaming from the bottom of the glass and some medium golden yellow highlights. The beer has a three finger tall sudsy off-white head that reduces to a medium thick film covering the entire surface of the beer with a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Light amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of pureed hot peppers and lots of them (similar to the smell that I got when I was making homemade hot sauce but even spicier). Slight vegetal aromas as well.

T: Upfront there are faint flavors of grainy malts but that is quickly overtaken by the flavors of the hot peppers/chiles. The heat from the hot peppers definitely builds as you continue to drink this beer - not so hot as to be not consumable but certainly not a real enjoyable flavor.

M: Just shy of medium bodied with slightly less than moderate amounts of carbonation. Slightly watery.

O: I think this beer could have been much better with the presence of a strong citrus hop flavor/aromas (possibly lemon or lime). There is some heat to this beer and drinking the entire bottle on your own is a chore - the first few sips are interesting but then it is just tedious. Glad I tried this one (test of one's enjoyment of hot peppers) but I do not think I will be getting another of these - on a side note, I was a little worried that I was becoming immune to pepper heat but this established I can still taste it.

Ghost Face Killah from Twisted Pine Brewing Company