Ghost Face Killah | Twisted Pine Brewing Company

Colorado, United States
twistedpinebrewery.com

Style: Chile Beer

Availability: Spring

Made with 6 chiles including Anaheim, Fresno, jalapeño, serrano, habenero, and ghost chile.

Added by Todd on 01-11-2011

3.5/5  rDev +13.3%

2.5/5  rDev -19.1%

3.41/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a nice gold with a white head that dissipates super quick. First whiff will cause you to cough. Initial sip is pretty good and you can taste some pepper. It takes a secon or two but then you feel the burn. Has a nice body to it and I really liked this beer. I would not drink it every day but I can enjoy this once or twice a year. If you like hit and spicy this beer is for you. My nose is still running as I write this!

3.79/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured into fluted snifter; looks like an IPA, golden yellow-orange with a moderate white head that fades quickly, fizzy.
Smells of all chiles. Chipotle, green jalapeno, very crisp vegetal chile scent that is really appetizing. Not much hint of the hotter habanero or ghost peppers in the smell, except for a ghostly twang in the nostril at the very end of a hard, close sniff.
Taste...not nearly as hot as everyone made it out to be. Then again, I love spicy things. Anyways, it starts off with some smooth, slightly sweet corn malt. Your tongue begins to tingle as it explores your mouth. Then on the swallow, it's all pepper. Mostly smoky and that generic "pepper" taste that most chile beers have, along with a hefty dose of spice. But not enough to even cause me discomfort...it reminded me of a very strong ginger beer. Very spicy on the throat and in the nose, but does no lasting damage.
Mouthfeel is thin and slick; the latter quality may be helped by the pepper oils.
Overall, this beer is a novelty. I'm glad I found it and got to try it, but I wouldn't pick it up again. There's no malt backbone at all, so as beer quality goes it's pretty poor. However, I don't think it's meant to be anything but a super-spicy novelty beer, and it achieves that very well. But it's worth picking up once to try, if only to say you did. Don't fear the "ghost pepper;" it's nowhere near as spicy as anything else I've had with ghost chiles.

Ghost Face Killah from Twisted Pine Brewing Company