Ghost Face Killah | Twisted Pine Brewing Company

Colorado, United States
twistedpinebrewery.com

Style: Chile Beer

Availability: Spring

Made with 6 chiles including Anaheim, Fresno, jalapeño, serrano, habenero, and ghost chile.

Added by Todd on 01-11-2011

3.41/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a nice gold with a white head that dissipates super quick. First whiff will cause you to cough. Initial sip is pretty good and you can taste some pepper. It takes a secon or two but then you feel the burn. Has a nice body to it and I really liked this beer. I would not drink it every day but I can enjoy this once or twice a year. If you like hit and spicy this beer is for you. My nose is still running as I write this!

3.79/5  rDev +27.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured into fluted snifter; looks like an IPA, golden yellow-orange with a moderate white head that fades quickly, fizzy.
Smells of all chiles. Chipotle, green jalapeno, very crisp vegetal chile scent that is really appetizing. Not much hint of the hotter habanero or ghost peppers in the smell, except for a ghostly twang in the nostril at the very end of a hard, close sniff.
Taste...not nearly as hot as everyone made it out to be. Then again, I love spicy things. Anyways, it starts off with some smooth, slightly sweet corn malt. Your tongue begins to tingle as it explores your mouth. Then on the swallow, it's all pepper. Mostly smoky and that generic "pepper" taste that most chile beers have, along with a hefty dose of spice. But not enough to even cause me discomfort...it reminded me of a very strong ginger beer. Very spicy on the throat and in the nose, but does no lasting damage.
Mouthfeel is thin and slick; the latter quality may be helped by the pepper oils.
Overall, this beer is a novelty. I'm glad I found it and got to try it, but I wouldn't pick it up again. There's no malt backbone at all, so as beer quality goes it's pretty poor. However, I don't think it's meant to be anything but a super-spicy novelty beer, and it achieves that very well. But it's worth picking up once to try, if only to say you did. Don't fear the "ghost pepper;" it's nowhere near as spicy as anything else I've had with ghost chiles.

3.38/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Glad I got to try such a talked-about beer. It was every bit as spicy as I had hoped and imagined. Unfortunately, it just did not have any body, malt, or hop profile to back it up. Those who've described it as a AAL infused with peppers are exactly right.

A: a total let-down clear yellowish beer with a frothy white head. Just looks like an AAL with a more creamy head.

S: smells spicy. This was actually nice and gave me the heat I wanted - practically burned my nostrils. However, there was nothing else on the nose except the spice. No malt or hops. Maybe just a subtle corn scent.

T: this might as well be miller lite infused with a ton of chili peppers. It tastes spicy at first then nothing except a vague corniness.

M: carbonation is fine, but the whole thing is way too thin. I feel like this'd level of spice would be better suited to something more oily our creamy.

4.5/5  rDev +51%

2.4/5  rDev -19.5%

Well I've been reading Beer Advocate for years and finally created an account just to review this liquid. Am a home brewer and just finish (drinking) a batch of Red Ale with Serranos from my garden. Miss that beer already so tried a single bottle of this. Actually I have taken two small sips of it and will not be drinking anymore. It's hot as hell. I will be using the rest for a chicken marinade.

I admire what they have pulled off and it's one I will never forget. I will probably remember it very clearly tomorrow as well. It's clear, yellowish gold with no head and a maddening and confusing slam of heat and sting.

3.29/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a bottle into a shaker pint, the beer is a bright, slightly hazed, golden coloring with a ton of carbonation and no head. Aromas of peppers forward and bold. Wowzers. You get a lot of the dark and roasted notes of the Serrano and Anaheim peppers, but also the nose-blistering sheer heat from the ghost face and habanero. It smells hot as shit, but I like that kind of thing, which explains my mouth watering right now. Flavors are kind of mild initially, with a warming and pepper spice on the backbone, but that is immediately followed up with a blast of hot, both in spice and actual temperature. There is a golden-style type flavor somewhere in there, but it gets absolutely pummeled by the cascade of pepper spice and heat. The body is light and smooth, and the aftertaste is...wait for it...peppers. Again, more spice than anything, but the heat remains throughout, as well, only starting to subside in the finish. The finish is fairly quick, and somewhat unremarkable based on the fact that your taste buds are shot at this point. This was a fun one to try.

2.97/5  rDev -0.3%

Why does this exist?

When I bought it the staff told me not to do it. I had to try it, aka tick it off.

Pours a reddish hazy gold, very little head even with a vigorous pour.

Smells like hot peppers.

Tastes exactly as it smells, layers of hot peppers with an intense burn at the end.

Mouthfeel is thin and watery, my least favorite part of it, not tons of body nothing backing up the heat.

Overall I feel like they accomplished what they were going for, I have to respect them for that.

I wouldn't have more than one, and I'm sure I'll regret it tomorrow, but I would recommended you try it.

4.5/5  rDev +51%

1.12/5  rDev -62.4%

A - looks like a lager nothing to talk about there
S - the smell is all hot sauce, I do not get any beer smell
T - to hot, it was amusing to taste as a novelty but there is no need to ever buy another one of these - Just drink some “HOT” hot sauce and you will feel like you had this one
M - burns your mouth slowly
O - this is not a beer for drinking, but maybe it would be good as a base for chili -or- just forget it, it sucks

2.25/5  rDev -24.5%

3.5/5  rDev +17.4%

3.25/5  rDev +9.1%

3.2/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

A: A dusty straw color, with a large white head that rapidly turns into fish eyes, then dissipates entirely.

S: There are definitely chilies in there. Smells like a combination of fresh, as well as roasted chilies. There is a lovely smokiness to it, like chipotle chili powder. Very interesting..

T: Holy hell that beer is hot! whew!! It starts sweet, with some nice grain notes, as you swallow there is a very nice smoky chili flavor, the finish is all heat. Burns going down, that beer is hot. The base beer really isn't bad, and the smoky flavor is quite delicious, although the heat is fairly substantial.

M: Medium low carbonation, and while the beer is cold, the mouthfeel is hot. The finish on this thing lingers on like crazy...

O: Overall the beer is just way too hot, although I suppose that that is kinda the point. Interesting to experience, but make sure you have at least 4 other people with you to split this with, or dump the whole thing into a pot of beans, and beef and make some damn spicy chili. Overall score is low, simply because you can't finish the damn thing.

3.25/5  rDev +9.1%