Ghost Face Killah | Twisted Pine Brewing Company

Colorado, United States
twistedpinebrewery.com

Style: Chile Beer

Availability: Spring

Made with 6 chiles including Anaheim, Fresno, jalapeño, serrano, habenero, and ghost chile.

Added by Todd on 01-11-2011

1.25/5  rDev -59.5%

2.75/5  rDev -11%

I had to give this beer that is billed as "the hottest beer in the world" a try when I saw it on the shelf of my local store. And hot it most certainly is! There were about 6 of us that sampled it- some said moderately hot, but others like myself thought it was flaming hot. The flavor wasn't all that bad before the incredible heat set in. But it is what it is...a novelty, yet interesting, beer to be shared with friends to see who can handle the heat.

2.7/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

A: Pours a crystal clear medium yellow in color with moderate amounts of active visible carbonation streaming from the bottom of the glass and some medium golden yellow highlights. The beer has a three finger tall sudsy off-white head that reduces to a medium thick film covering the entire surface of the beer with a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Light amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of pureed hot peppers and lots of them (similar to the smell that I got when I was making homemade hot sauce but even spicier). Slight vegetal aromas as well.

T: Upfront there are faint flavors of grainy malts but that is quickly overtaken by the flavors of the hot peppers/chiles. The heat from the hot peppers definitely builds as you continue to drink this beer - not so hot as to be not consumable but certainly not a real enjoyable flavor.

M: Just shy of medium bodied with slightly less than moderate amounts of carbonation. Slightly watery.

O: I think this beer could have been much better with the presence of a strong citrus hop flavor/aromas (possibly lemon or lime). There is some heat to this beer and drinking the entire bottle on your own is a chore - the first few sips are interesting but then it is just tedious. Glad I tried this one (test of one's enjoyment of hot peppers) but I do not think I will be getting another of these - on a side note, I was a little worried that I was becoming immune to pepper heat but this established I can still taste it.

1.31/5  rDev -57.6%

Since I like heat in my beer I thought there might be something redeeming about this one. Once I cracked it I realized that the likelihood of this being poured down the drain is high.

Once poured it looks like a severely watered down ice tea. Maybe the only thing about this beer actually that isn't bad is the head which is ok. After the beer settles down it looks like a cider beer.

The smell is horrific. Not really sure how to describe it, and maybe it's best not to try. I'll just leave it as horrific.

The taste, well it's pure burn. Now I'll be the first to say, the beer clearly states that it really hot and I was expecting exactly that. The heat is insane. It's way over the top, so much so that there really isn't any taste, just burn. I think anyone can get a bunch of really hot peppers and home brew something as bad.

Mouth feel, is well, I really can't feel my mouth at the moment. Heat, heat, heat...

Overall, I know it's a gimmick beer but its really bad. I guess if you are someone that likes atomic wings then you would maybe like the novelty of this but it's a really bad beer otherwise. But basically they hit there goal of making the hottest beer ever, but they forgot about taste. Actually, I came back to this review cause hours later I was still thinking how bad this beer tastes. By far the worst beer I ever had.

3.1/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a cloudy muddy straw with a finger of fizzy head that dissipated almost instantly. The nose is distinctly hot peppers. The flavor qualities of the beer are near impossible to determine because the heat from the peppers is so pronounced. The finish brings lingering heat. The heat is not so deadly that it prevented me from finishing the bottle, but it is hard to image enjoying this beer with food or with other beers of any style.

Beyond proving to myself that I could handle it, I am not sure what purpose was served by my finishing this beer. At best, this is a novelty that should be tried once. Possibly, the only props that I can give this beer is that there is truth in advertising - they claim that it is hot and it certainly is hot.

1.75/5  rDev -43.4%