Ghost Face Killah | Twisted Pine Brewing Company

Colorado, United States
twistedpinebrewery.com

Style: Chile Beer

Availability: Spring

Made with 6 chiles including Anaheim, Fresno, jalapeño, serrano, habenero, and ghost chile.

Added by Todd on 01-11-2011

3.44/5  rDev +11.3%

Okay, so when I poured this beer into a tulip, something foreboding and frightening occured. The head atop this beer BROILED up furiously, to about 5 fingers (hard pour) and just as it reached the lip, it immediately began simmering back down and settled into nonexistance... wow.

Color is muddy golden orange, with active carbonation if you look close enough. Smells like a wild Belgian yeast that eats way too much Kung Pao. If there were a such thing as a Chile Lambic, that's how it'd smell. You get hints of that funky yeast, smothered in sweet pepper jelly. The taste is... hot. You get hit with a little lager sweetness before the flavor profile instantly bursts into flame. Luckily this is the kinda heat that simmers down quickly, but you WILL feel this beer on your lips and tongue for ahile. Mouthfeel is like a medium lager, almost a high ABV pilsner, mouth-wise. Overall this beer carries it's gimmick with pride, and in all honesty, I am enjoying it, but unfortunately the only thing it really has enough of is heat, and that's not enough to bring me back to a beer over and over.

3.5/5  rDev +13.3%

3.49/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 oz botte poured.

A- pours a crystal clear straw color with faint hues of red and green
no head very little visible carbonation.

S- like raw uncooked hot peppers. Fresh smell like if you walked through a pepper garden. Intriguing.

T- in your face peppers. Hot. Heat starts sweet then swells to a burn in about half a second. I suggest having a lager to chase this. You can actually taste the milder peppers up front which is nice. Heat lasts a few minutes and slowly fades.

M- good level of carbonation ( low-moderate) with a slight silkyness. Then hot pepper acid burns and tingles.

O- this beer rocks. I didn't really know what to think being this is my first peppered beer. I suggest drinking with food, chedder cheese & crackers or something mild. This could tear a stomach to shreds. Good flavor and heat. A strange but awesome experience. Noone can truly describe this beer, you just gotta jump in and see for yourself.

Enjoy

4.25/5  rDev +37.5%

2.75/5  rDev -11%

3.77/5  rDev +22%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had to try this one out of morbid curiosity.

Served in a Port City tulip.

A: Poured a bright orange with a slight chill haze, some visible carbonation, and really no head whatsoever.

S: Actually, I dug the smell on this much more than I though I would. Liquified pepper mixture, for sure. You can actually smell the vegetable heat!

T: Certainly a spicy endurance test, like a vegetable garden, and with sort of a salty backbone overall.

M: The hottest, most offensively tear inducing beer in history, but I kinda dug it in sort of a sick way. No lacing or booze detected, just straight up heat.

O: This is a novelty beer, for sure, but it's not without it's merits.

3.21/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

12oz bottle from Lueken's Liquors (Dunedin, FL). 3.99. No bottling info. Served in a Cigar City snifter.

Pours hazy orange with a half finger of white head that dissapears quickly. No lace.

Nose is all peppers. Seriously. LOTS of peppers- green, anaheim and jalepeno. I like peppers so I find it pretty appealing.

Wow! That's a damn spicy beer. Nice hot habenero and ghost pepper bite that lingers but allows the cooler jalepeno, anaheim and fresno flavors to peek through. Very interesting.

Lighter side of medium body with nice mellow but sizzling carbonation. Looong slightly burning aftertaste.

Not what I look for in a beer but this was a novel and enjoyable experience. Most likely too hot for most folks but I like it.

2.5/5  rDev -19.1%

2.85/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle into a nonic pint glass. I was really looking forward to this one - if only for the novelty factor alone.

A: Pours a cloudy golden color. The head is a one finger white shade that retains very poorly.

S: File this one into the "no shit" category: it's full of ridiculously hot peppers. Plain and simple, it smells like acid reflux. Yay?

T: This actually has more to it than just bowel-fuckingly hot peppers. For a brief minute, it has slight touches of initial tropical fruit (like mango and papaya). Then, the midtaste becomes quite smoky, and then pure fiery heat descends. I also detect notes of pine and phenolic plastic. I'm surprised how complex this is; no it doesn't layer itself in a finessed manner - but there is a rock-solid depth to it. In terms of heat, it's not really that far off from a spicy michelada, nor is it the hottest thing I've put in my mouth. If anything, it hits the hallmark objective of what a spicy tongue-fucker should achieve: can you taste more to it than just stupid chile heat? If anything, the huge phenolic notes are the biggest detractor for me, not the spiciness.

M: For sure, one burns the palate with searing heat. This destroys the palate far better than any IPA could hope to achieve. It's clean and dry enough where the heat actually doesn't last ridiculously long on the palate, though. Still, I can really feel it in my esophagus, retro-nasals, and stomach - and I can really feel acid reflux setting in, too.

O: It's actually not the hottest thing I've ever had before - but it's one of the hottest things I've ever drank (only a couple of bloody marys or micheladas that I overspiced really challenge it). It gets a 4.5 just for the experience; it's certainly not pleasant, but it's somehow fun to drink. I reckon this would make an awesome adjunct to chili, as well.

3.59/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served chilled in a tulip pilsner with what else but a bowl of chili to go along with it.

Pours a light copper color with very airy beige head that recedes very quickly with virtually no surface layer or lacing.

No big surprise with the aromas. Smells like beer and hot peppers.

Flavor of hot peppers hits you immediately. Most prevalent to me were the anaheims and jalapenos, but there was a hint of smoke on the tail end from the serranos.

Light bodied with moderate carbonation and a bit of a weak finish. Heat and aftertaste do not linger as much as you would expect.

Overall I did enjoy this beer for what it was. I think best enjoyed when paired with food of the same nature.

3.75/5  rDev +21.4%

4.5/5  rDev +45.6%

2.64/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.5

Claims to be the hottest this side of hell.... but I have the Pick of Destiny!

Golden light pale with a little murk and a mirror surface, some bubbles come up in two ovals, which send their bubbles into the same confluent strip, giving this a hard dick and balls look.

Smells like somebody took some beautifully ripened chili's, I get some poblano mostly and cooked it over a gas grill, nice and aritificial. Some bits of chicken broth.

Really expecting this to taste like piss. Let's see...

Not quite like the piss I've had in the past. I initially get a sweetness of grain and maybe marshmallow cream. Then comes the onslaught of demons from the bowels of the deep. Earthy and robust with fiery wrath the peppers charge onto the playfield of my tight, wet, warm mouth. Mmmm, my mouth.... Then I pretty much just feel like some black, no wait, maybe green, toasted green peppercorns just rolled over my mouth with cold mashed potatoes. The appeal is undeniable. It's hard to imagine a better flavor for the style. (2.5)

Mouthfeel is like a porcupine dick: thin and prickly, and stabs fast like the first few minutes of a Peter North performance. Then my mouth is simply left drenched and dripping wet. My wife likes the way it feels in my mouth.

Overall this is the best chili beer probably ever, second only to the mis-categorized Budweiser Chelada (original, not light).

3.9/5  rDev +26.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bought out of curiosity for $3.89 for 12oz in AR. I should note that I tend to like this style (including Cave Creek), although I always feel I need a beer (non-Chile) to wash it down.

Poured with a golden orange color and a highly enthusiastic head – couldn’t pour normally without pausing without overflow. Head diminished very quickly to no head/no lacing, but visible carbonation.

Smell is highly dominated by hot peppers. Of the hints of beer, smell similar to Corona, but more malt and slight sweetness…but no mistaking what you are facing.

Starts as a hot, but pleasant, beer. But, the heat is more than normally palatable. (Note that I make hot world-class chili with 6 types of fresh hot peppers and consume hot sauces at nearly every meal.) Honestly, I really like the flavor…fairly complex blend of peppers…just not the overall heat intensity. The beer base, a high quality Mexican beer style, is totally appropriate.

Mouthfeel is medium light as appropriate for the style.

IMO, everything works here but the heat intensity. Maybe you need this heat to achieve the real pepper flavor. It is the best “hot pepper” beer I’ve had. Would have been better if consumed with food or split with a fellow drinker. Would I drink this again? Yes, but probably sharing 12oz with someone.

I can’t say I wasn’t warned and I am happy to say I have drunk this. It is definitely not for mainstream beer people. Isn’t craft beer fun!

4.12/5  rDev +33.3%
look: 2 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

$4.50 for the 12oz single, served in a pint glass
No ABV indicated on the bottle
Sampled 06JAN13

[A] An average pour yields a pale, golden-orange body, clear with just a touch of haze, and a full finger of fizzy head. Bright white and short lived. After fading the surface is entirely still, but visible carbonation shows a little bit of life. No lacing.

[S] Capsicum of all kinds. Green, orange, red, fresh, charred, seedy and fleshy. The nose is literally 'pepper' in every way imaginable. Other than that, pretty straightforward.

[T] The front end of the palate actually has a touch of sweetness. And the first wave of heat is very soft and approachable. Then, the intensity heightens after the swallow, but it never becomes extreme. It is impossible to say for sure, but the base beer seems pretty darn solid. It works as a great canvas for the layers and layers of pepper and heat. I'm digging this.

[M] The mouthfeel is surprisingly complete. Medium full and chewier than expected. My saliva starts to thicken on the second half of the bottle.

[O] I bought this bottle for the novelty of it, honestly. But I will say this: Ghostface Killah is actually a very good beer - and even better when considering the style. Sure, it's for those with an affinity for heat, but those who crave a little fire will not find it to be over the top. I finished the bottle no problem.

Ghost Face Killah from Twisted Pine Brewing Company