Ghost Face Killah | Twisted Pine Brewing Company

Colorado, United States
twistedpinebrewery.com

Style: Chile Beer

Availability: Spring

Made with 6 chiles including Anaheim, Fresno, jalapeño, serrano, habenero, and ghost chile.

Added by Todd on 01-11-2011

1.9/5  rDev -36.2%

Bought a single bottle as an impulse buy at my local Fancy Beer Store (FBS). Pepper water. If you're used to decent Tex-Mex, nothing scary here. I really expected a bigger burn from the ghost pepper, but I've had tomatillo sauces that presented hotter. No notable beer attributes. Not tasty enough to buy as a beer; not hot enough to buy as a prank. Pick it up only if you're interested in saving the label before Wu-Tang sends a cease and desist.

4.16/5  rDev +39.6%

This is one hell of a unique beer. I know it's basically a novelty, but it's a novelty that I'm a big fan of. The heat hits you pretty much immediately, and over-powers any other flavors that the beer may have. Then your lips start to burn and turn reddish purple. You can feel the endorphins as your taste buds process the weirdness of a cool refreshing liquid that tastes like Satan's piss. But as you get to the end, you start appreciating the amazing taste of the peppers. There's a very smokey and unique flavor to the ghost chilli; a flavor I've become addicted to. Once you get over the initial shock, this beer tastes amazing.

I fear for the morning. Just once in my life I would love to down a six pack of this stuff just to be an idiot.

2.5/5  rDev -16.1%

2.5/5  rDev -16.1%

3.5/5  rDev +17.4%

3.25/5  rDev +9.1%

1.75/5  rDev -41.3%

3.75/5  rDev +25.8%

3.75/5  rDev +25.8%

2.26/5  rDev -24.2%

Reviewed from notes. Poured from 12 oz. bottle into pint glass.

A: Pours a somewhat hazy yellow color with a bit of carbonation and only a minimal white head.

S: Musty hot peppers, hot sauce. Maybe a little black peppery.

T: Hot pepper sauce...and that's about it.

M: I think this is a fairly light mouthfeel, but I'm in such a hurry to not have this beer linger in my mouth it's difficult to tell. Ditto for any idea of alcohol presence.

O: As positive as I can be...this could be a nice flavor for salsa, or marinade. But there's no way it belongs in a beer. I like spicy food, and would consider using it for my next batch of beer brats. After reading about it, I didn't go into this beer with high expectations, to say the least. And it disappointed. Drain pour.

2.72/5  rDev -8.7%

12 oz bottle pours a hazed yellow color with a few bubbles of head, no retention or lacing, which is typical of chile beers.

Nose is fire, straight up fire. Intense heat with vegetal chile aroma. Smells like hatch chiles on steroids AND HGH. Wow.

After drinking 5 beers I finally got the courage to pop this fucker. I was planning on sharing it, but a good opportunity never presented itself over the past few months. I was planning on attempting to drink the whole thing by myself, but after one sip am reproaching myself and there is no way in the fiery depths of hell I am finishing this one…or am I? The malt is lightly grainy and the chile flavor is somewhere between smoky chipotle and raw poblano peppers. Somewhat like a habanero, but earthier and more vegetal. Holy hell, I love hot stuff and have enjoyed almost all the chile beers I have had...but this takes it a bit too far. About 3 oz in I am ready to throw in the towel...I think I will re-cap and use in some cooking. This is not a good beer by any means, but the novelty score is a 5.0 and I wouldnt take back the experience for anything...maybe :)

Edit…I drank about half of it and got the bright idea to add a Modelo Especial to it and it works very well. I mixed a 1:1 ratio and it is hot, but not sweat-inducing hot. I think I can finish it…Im a stubborn son of a bitch. I will need to chase this with some Tums though.

Double Edit...I drank 12 oz of this concoction, my stomach is making some really wierd noises and burping hurts pretty bad. Not for the faint of heart, but if you are a glutton for punishment this beer is right up your alley.

2.96/5  rDev -0.7%

12oz bottle.

A: slightly hazy yellow with a bit of thin white head that quickly fades.

S: peppers. veggie green, serrano and habanero and something else hot – mostly jalapenos

T: not as hot as i expected but pretty good as far as heat is concened. Very little other tastes.

M: light body - hotness overwhelms all other sensations

O: a fun novelty beer, glad to have tried it once but will not seek out again. This is pretty much pepper water, no discernible beer qualities here besides appearance

4.42/5  rDev +48.3%

Edit 2 days later ok I did happy hour again (why not it's Friday) this beer is delicious, smells and drinks like a malty blonde ale with a nice throat burn. Honestly, Capones wings are hotter, and the horse radish I had few years ago at a beef and beer actually made my eyes water and was incredible. What I'm trying to say is this beer's real good, but I would consider it mild. Now I gotta try the ghost scorpion.

enjoyed with $.25 happy hour hot wings at Capones Norristown. delicious and different, hot and spicy. loved it. what else do you need to say?

the only thing is i had this after 36 oz Port Hop 15 draught, one helluva palate wrecker (sorry green flash, your wrecker stinks) so im not sure i even got the full effect. have to try this again first with the wings.

fresh hop 15? some beers are so much better than the rest.

3.32/5  rDev +11.4%

Bottle opened on 8.6.12.

A - Pours a very light, cloudy orange with a fizzy off-white head that fades quickly.

S - Spicy, hot peppers. Very salsa-like.

T - Hot peppers, fire baby!

D - Ok carbonation with a thin body. A fire in the throat finish.

O - Hot! I love it! Good flavors, but the heat is just crazy!

4.21/5  rDev +41.3%

Golden yellow body, slightly cloudy, with a huge white head on the initial pour, but after letting it settle in the pint glass, the head quickly dissipated with the top-off pour until there is virtually no head (common with chili beers; my understanding is it's due to the chili oils). Very strong chili and pepper aroma. Burning chili taste dominates the flavor; hot and long lasting. Oily, medium body.

This is the hottest chili beer I've tasted to date. Since I like the heat (and would love to have this while eating some hot buffalo wings!), it gets an decent overall score. Too bad there is no real head per se. I've had some tasty chili beers that manage to get a semblance of a beer head, but my take on the style is chili beer should have some heat and kick. In this case, this beer definitely has it.

3.38/5  rDev +13.4%

Pours amber in color with a white head. Nose is rather ominous. Intense pepper aroma which is very fresh and green. It smells quite spicy and actually stings the nose a little bit. The flavor is certainly hot and spicy, with some lingering heat, but not as bad as I was anticipating. Tons of pepper and really not much else that you can taste. Maybe some toasted malt if you’re lucky. Not awful, but about an ounce is plenty.

Ghost Face Killah from Twisted Pine Brewing Company