Ghost Face Killah | Twisted Pine Brewing Company

Twisted Pine Brewing Company
Colorado, United States | website

Style: Chile Beer

Availability: Spring

Made with 6 chiles including Anaheim, Fresno, jalapeño, serrano, habenero, and ghost chile.

Added by Todd on 01-11-2011

3.1

Reviews: 176 | Ratings: 576
3.06/5  rDev -1.3%

Off top this is a novelty beer. Golden color, looks like a beer. The smell gives a very good indicator of what you can expect, smoky peppers, just foreboding in every sense of the word. the flavor is smoky pepper, maybe that is the serrano? It then quickly morphs into heat that is not a joke. I love hot foods so this did not phase me but make no mistake this beer is hot and you will feel it in your tongue. I had to try this beer because I have had good chile beers from Coopersmith's and Stone 11.11.11 but I won't revisit this.

Shared by Rhino.

I'm scared. The beer smells like it's about to whoop my ass. Hot red peppers, campfire smoke, blazing chili. Ok here goes...

Hot damn! Massive palate assaulting heat intensity. I'm a medium heat guy when it comes to chili, wings, Thai food, etc. This is pretty high intensity to me. An assortment of hot peppers on a medium bodied ale. Moderate carbonation. Lingering burn.

This was pretty fun. For what it is, this is done pretty well.I definitely recommend splitting the bottle several ways.

3.06/5  rDev -1.3%

Sampled this evening on 5/22/14 but that this one back in late 2012 once before. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a handled glass stein.

This 'Chile' Beer' style contains 6 different peppers including Anaheim, Fresno, Jalapeño, Serrano, Habenero, and Ghost chiles! Pours a coppery amber in color with no head to speak of with no lacing really to speak of as well. A bit heavy on the carbonation. Aroma is of various hot peppers with some sweet malt. The taste is would be excepted, spicy with heat that makes you want to drink it fast. A tad on the vinegary side. It was different of course and made the top of my head sweat some. LOL! If hot pepper is your style of beer, then here you go!

3.04/5  rDev -1.9%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Opened by alfrantzell, sent by ShogoKawada. Thanks dudes.

A: Pours a clear straw body.

S: Very spicy nose. I am not a chili connoisseur, so I can't pick out which varieties I'm smelling. But it's spicy.

T: To borrow a largadism, this is the chiliest beer I've ever had that wasn't an alfrantzell production. It's incredibly spicy, delivering waves and waves of heat and burn, but in a pleasant way (I like spice). The drawback is that it has no malt, no hop, nothing beer-like. It's firewater.

M: One-dimensional in flavor, but the mouthfeel is pleasant; it leaves a nice, coating burn that promises the Ring of Fire the next day. Good stuff.

O: A very good gimmick beverage. This really doesn't taste like beer, though. I'm glad I tried it, but i wouldn't have it again or recommend it to others unless they're interested in the gimmick itself.

3.03/5  rDev -2.3%

Thanks to phillyswear for this great extra.

A - Orangish color that gets lighter on the sides. Quick dissolving head that left some wisps on the sides of the glass.

S - Like Alex said, this reminds me a lot of the Tri-Pepper Pilsner. The peppers are a bit spicey, but seem more like green peppers than anything else.

T - Wow, it's really peppery, as in really spicey peppery. I actually pick up a couple of distinct different pepper notes including the more spicey kinds as well as the ones that are just full on heat. Given what this was trying to accomplish, it's quite well done as it's relatively tasty, although hotter than blazes. Wouldn't say it's great, but not bad.

M - It burns like fire. Decent carbonation, medium boded.

O - I thought this was fine for what it was. Doesn't taste bad, doesn't taste particularly great, but if you were trying to make a beer that would blow your tastebuds to hell with pepper spice, it does what it accomplishes in an acceptable way.

On a post note, I eat a ton of spicey food and have a very high tolerance. The sheer acidity of this beer though caused me massive heartburn (an unusual thing) that forced me to go out at 4:30 am for Zantac. If you feel the need to tick this, beware.

3.02/5  rDev -2.6%

This is a great beer to share. Because if you don't, no way in hell with it get finished. I was good for about an ounce, at best. Pure heat and pure torture if you want to drink it all.

A - copper with no head

S - peppers, very spicy, a lot of jalapeno and habanero

T - intense peppers, jalapenos mostly, intense heat in the finish from the ghost chilies but not unbearable; the taste reminds me of the pepper blend that my grandfather adds to his sausage

M - medium bodied, very spicy, warm, well carbonated

Well, this wasn't nearly as bad as some reviewers had led me to believe it would be. I certainly wouldn't enjoy this beyond the 6 oz sample that I had, but I did enjoy it for what it was. If I were to buy this again, I would buy it as an ingredient. I think this would be great in a batch of chili or even in a marinade.

I had to give this beer that is billed as "the hottest beer in the world" a try when I saw it on the shelf of my local store. And hot it most certainly is! There were about 6 of us that sampled it- some said moderately hot, but others like myself thought it was flaming hot. The flavor wasn't all that bad before the incredible heat set in. But it is what it is...a novelty, yet interesting, beer to be shared with friends to see who can handle the heat.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1

A: Hazy yellow pour without much head. Looks like it also has a pretty low amount of carbonation.

S: Smells like peppers and heat. Is this a beer or is it hot sauce??

T: Holy Shit. Ghost peppers. All heat. It starts as beer and then just destroys you with heat.

MF: Light, with actually a nice amount of carbonation. The aftertaste is what kills you.

O: Impressive, but damn, how could anyone drink an entire bottle of this?

2.97/5  rDev -4.2%

Why does this exist?

When I bought it the staff told me not to do it. I had to try it, aka tick it off.

Pours a reddish hazy gold, very little head even with a vigorous pour.

Smells like hot peppers.

Tastes exactly as it smells, layers of hot peppers with an intense burn at the end.

Mouthfeel is thin and watery, my least favorite part of it, not tons of body nothing backing up the heat.

Overall I feel like they accomplished what they were going for, I have to respect them for that.

I wouldn't have more than one, and I'm sure I'll regret it tomorrow, but I would recommended you try it.

2.96/5  rDev -4.5%

12oz bottle. Pours a clear straw gold with a very small white head that quickly goes the a slight collar.

The aroma is a little sweet malt and chili peppers. It's more subdued than expected.

The flavor is a slight touch of sweet malt quickly dominated by chilis with a big burn at the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with very low carbonation.

Overall, it's a completely one dimensional beer - it's all about the heat and the chilis. But it's definitely the hottest beer I've had. It's not as bad a ghost pepper sauces I've had though.

2.96/5  rDev -4.5%

12oz bottle.

A: slightly hazy yellow with a bit of thin white head that quickly fades.

S: peppers. veggie green, serrano and habanero and something else hot – mostly jalapenos

T: not as hot as i expected but pretty good as far as heat is concened. Very little other tastes.

M: light body - hotness overwhelms all other sensations

O: a fun novelty beer, glad to have tried it once but will not seek out again. This is pretty much pepper water, no discernible beer qualities here besides appearance

2.93/5  rDev -5.5%

12oz bottle shared with neorunner.

A: slightly hazy yellow with a bit of thin white head that quickly fades.

S: peppers. veggie green, serrano and habanero and something else hot - bhut perhaps?

T: not as hot as i expected but pretty fair heat. very little other tastes, perhaps generic pils and a touch of corn.

M: light body - hotness overwhelms all other sensations

O: a fun novelty beer, i've had hotter homebrewed stuff. glad to have tried it once but will not seek out again. this is pretty much pepper water, no discernible beer qualities here besides appearance

2.92/5  rDev -5.8%

Another beer shared by Rhettroactive the other night. It poured a light golden color with a thin white head sticking to edges of the glass.

In the aroma I get a lot of vegetable like pepper qualities to it. It's got a little heat, but not that telling as to how hot it's going to be. Pretty much smells like a hot pepper. The aroma actually showed off the peppers fairly well.

The heat is pretty intense in the taste. It's definitely the hottest thing I've ever drank. A little of the pepper flavor is detectable, but otherwise it just tastes like burning.

The mouthfeel is this with carbonation being on the lower side. Overall, they definitely succeeded at making a hot as hell beer. As a chili beer, it was a cool novelty to share with friends and get some laughs from. As a beer though, it's about as drinkable as hot pepper juice is.

2.91/5  rDev -6.1%

Thanks, willandperry! I've been anxious to try this one :-)

Appearance. Pours a clear, yellow gold with two fingers of white head that doesn't last long at all.

Smell. Wow, roasted sweet red peppers and a smokey, salty driftwood kind of smell. Interesting, but not as something to drink...

Taste. Tangy bell peppers along with white pepper and hot fresh jalepenos. This beer doesn't disapoint with the heat, and I like my firey food. Taste isn't as bad as I expected from the smell. For this "style", I guess it's pretty decent tasting.

Mouthfeel. Medium-light body, medium+ carbonation.

Overall. Well, it was an experience to say the least. Really glad to have tried it. My cheeks are sweating, and that's the level of heat that I like in any Indian, and various other ethnic foods. Extra full overall point for doing a chille beer that definitely showcases the chilles. Thanks again, willandperry!

2.91/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

This beer is .... very interesting haha.

Pours a hazy orange with a huge head that dies down very very quickly....no lacing left on the glass. The smell is of very hot peppers and kind of has a mexican salsa type of feel to it....I've had pepper beers before but this one smells hardcore. I took a sip and before even swallowing the beer the heat started kicking in, wow!!!!!! HOLY SHIT!...if you don't like spicy.....definitely stay away from this brew. spice lingers on the throat.....this is a beer you would want to deglaze maybe a mexican pasta dish in the pan with, it would provide killer flavor....this should be considered a cooking ingredient...not very palate friendly in my opinion just drinking it straight like this. ....The thing about this beer is that there is no balance...no sweetness...no hop presence...just straight heat.if it had some sweetness to even some of this heat out...it would be a better beer, hands down. mouthfeel is of a lager.

2.9/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Finally got to give this one a shot, 12 oz bottle purchased at Pinocchios in Media. I love chiles and hot food in general so what the heck.

Pours a lightly hazed dark apricot gold, with a small fizzy head that dissipates quickly and no lace. There's a very subtle sweetness buried in the aroma but it's pretty much dominated by fiery chiles; smells a lot like Tabasco to be honest. There's actually a lot of complexity to the nose if you allow yourself to dig in and not scorch your nostrils;some tropical fruit notes intermingle with a variety of chile aromas.

Unfortunately the flavor is just way too abusive and overpowering in peppery heat and no other elements can emerge very much; the overall effect is like drinking straight up hot sauce. Don't get me wrong, I love to douse my food in hot sauce but I still don't want to drink it straight from the bottle. The mouth is left with a lengthy lingering burn in the finish.

The body is medium light and the carbonation is moderately high; the mouthfeel is fine, but does it really matter? I could enjoy 2 ounces of this every now and then; finishing an entire bottle on one's own seems unecessarily punitive. A novelty to be sure but not really an enjoyable one.

2.89/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3

The label got a face lift. I was always curious to try this one but never did, until my girlfriend actually brought me one home. So now it's time to give it a shot.

It pours a pale blonde color, almost white out of the bottle. The head is 2 fingers but diminishes speedily leaving hilly lace.

Aromas of pepper seeds - red bell, jalapeno, serrano. Underneath that are musty malts and and bright grains.

Flavor - holy shit, this is hot. Like whoa hot. My entire collarbone/throat/neck are on fire. From one perspective it's impressive, from another, it's not really enjoyable. Nothing but heat can be sampled. Nothing. Just PEPPER and BURN. I feel I need to take another drink to quench the burn, but that's just going to be a vicious cycle. It's like drinking pepper oil.

Feel is light bodied, carbonated...um...feel........what else, fire? Nose is running, need a tissue...

I can respect this beer, but I drained most of it, even after I let my g/f try it. It was just too hot to enjoy. Hence my overall score. The heat is incredible on this, you'll break out in a sweat. If you drain most of it, you can't enjoy it, and enjoy it we did not.

2.89/5  rDev -6.8%

Thanks goes out to Peter (pitasoup) for bringing this bottle to share during our Savor Slam weekend.

Golden yellow beer that is moderately clear, small carbonation bubbles noticeable but nothing for head retention. Aroma is Chile and green bell peppers with onions. Flavor is initially a crisp lager but is immediately decimated by heat. While the heat is pleasantly strong it is all in the back of my mouth and very monotone. Not the best Chile beer out there, but there are many worse ones.

2.87/5  rDev -7.4%

Brown glass bottle with twist off cap acquired at Lukas Liquor in Lone Tree and served into a Bull & Bush pilsner glass in me gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Reviewed live. Expectations are low.

Served straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours no head whatsoever. Body colour is a clear pale copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Looks about right for the style.

Sm: Chili pepper in gratuitous quantities. Sweet jesus, that's all there is. Smells like pure habanero. Just smelling it is starting to prepare my perspiration glands. A strong, seizing aroma.

T: Fairly spicy, but not awful with a sip. Heavy chili pepper and chili skin, sure, but it's not as bad as youtubers and beer amateurs would have you believe. A bit vinegary, actually. Acidic. Roasted pepper. It's nowhere near as spicy as I anticipated. No alcohol comes through. No yeast character. I imagine that pale malts comprise the foundation, but they're well buried. I wouldn't say I like it; it's imbalanced as all hell. It's a surprisingly decent chili beer, though. It's definitely one note. Most of the spice is in the aftertaste; if you drink too much it'll hit you in the throat.

I had milk on hand while reviewing, but I didn't end up needing any. Don't let the sensitivists convince you that it's as spicy as the brewery's marketing team wants us to think it is.

Mf: Smooth and wet, but the mouthfeel is widely irrelevant here. Adequately carbonated, with good thickness. The texture here is just a means of enabling you to consume it.

Dr: Surprisingly drinkable given its reputation. Reading some of the other reviews, I didn't think some of my fellow beeradvocate members were such panzies. This really isn't that bad as long as you sip it. Still, it'd be real tough to quaff. I'll have a bit of trouble killing this glass, but I expected it to be intolerable.

Largely a gimmicky marketing ploy. Meh.

C

2.85/5  rDev -8.1%

Pours out what looks like urine the next morning after a long night of drinking. It's dark yellow.. with a bit of carbonation coming up the center. Had a foamy white head that dissipated in a matter of seconds.

The smell is of burn. You definitely smell the heat hiding in this beer. But you keep smelling you can smell the sweetness from the other peppers as well. Pretty much smells like liquified peppers.

How's it taste, Ralph? Good?

It tastes like burning... ohhhh...

It taste almost like cayenne pepper in a malt beverage. There is a hint of sweet from the weaker peppers, but that goes away rather quickly when the heat hits. It's not overwhelmingly hot(for me, I love spicy foods) but it is freaking WARM. Warms you all the way down to your gut. I mainly taste peppers... wow.

Mouthfeel is just oily and warm. medium bodied, but that matters not with this beer.

Overall it's a gimmick beer, and I love the idea of it. Makes me pine for Ghost Pepper Sculpin if anything.

WARNING: If tobasco gets you hot and bothered, don't try this beer.

2.85/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A gimmick beer. Better than Eds Cave Creek because the beer part is better. Instead of a lame pepper juice taste, this one provides a full-bore hot pepper experience. If you like this sort of thing, the beer is well crafted. For me, this is too much hot pepper, not enough beer.

Pours a hazy apple cider color with a fizzy white head that dies fast with no lacing. Aroma is rich, pungent hot peppers, not much in the way of beer smell.

Taste is a mild ale until the hot pepper kicks in. The effect is not an undrinkable blast but rather a slow destruction of the taste buds. If you are into this sort of thing, you could call this a slow sipper. As someone looking forward to a Father's Day BBQ after drinking this, I was more concerned about tasting my food later on than finishing this beer.

Mouthfeel is a blast of hot peppers on top of a mild ale.

Overall, for me - a drain pour. For someone that likes this sort of thing, it is worthy of finishing. Not a poorly crafted drink, just not something I would want to experience beyond about a 2-3 oz sample.

2.85/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle into a nonic pint glass. I was really looking forward to this one - if only for the novelty factor alone.

A: Pours a cloudy golden color. The head is a one finger white shade that retains very poorly.

S: File this one into the "no shit" category: it's full of ridiculously hot peppers. Plain and simple, it smells like acid reflux. Yay?

T: This actually has more to it than just bowel-fuckingly hot peppers. For a brief minute, it has slight touches of initial tropical fruit (like mango and papaya). Then, the midtaste becomes quite smoky, and then pure fiery heat descends. I also detect notes of pine and phenolic plastic. I'm surprised how complex this is; no it doesn't layer itself in a finessed manner - but there is a rock-solid depth to it. In terms of heat, it's not really that far off from a spicy michelada, nor is it the hottest thing I've put in my mouth. If anything, it hits the hallmark objective of what a spicy tongue-fucker should achieve: can you taste more to it than just stupid chile heat? If anything, the huge phenolic notes are the biggest detractor for me, not the spiciness.

M: For sure, one burns the palate with searing heat. This destroys the palate far better than any IPA could hope to achieve. It's clean and dry enough where the heat actually doesn't last ridiculously long on the palate, though. Still, I can really feel it in my esophagus, retro-nasals, and stomach - and I can really feel acid reflux setting in, too.

O: It's actually not the hottest thing I've ever had before - but it's one of the hottest things I've ever drank (only a couple of bloody marys or micheladas that I overspiced really challenge it). It gets a 4.5 just for the experience; it's certainly not pleasant, but it's somehow fun to drink. I reckon this would make an awesome adjunct to chili, as well.

2.84/5  rDev -8.4%

Appearance: Poured a hazy orange with little to no head at all.

Smell: The aroma was roasted peppers. And more peppers.

Taste: Really wasn't much flavor. Your lips are immediately hit with fire. Then your throat catches on fire. DEEP BURN!

Mouthfeel: A bit on the thin side. Carbonation was low.

Overall: For a novelty beer it did what it promised. Burned. I can't really knock it because it didn't really promise anything other than that. My expectations were met. I personally didn't enjoy it but for the novelty aspect it was great! For the beer flavor aspect? Not so much.

2.79/5  rDev -10%

Ghost Face Killah pours a golden yellow orange color with a white head.

The aroma of this beer is intense and is a warning to anyone who is bold enough to drink it. The intense peppers and spice are like a kick in the face and are almost enough to burn the nostrils.

From the first sip this beer burns, and it burns all the way down the throat, and it continues to burn for a few minutes after each taste. It burns so much that you can hardly taste anythings else.

Not sure why anyone would drink this beer unless it is on some sort of a dare. I could not make it through a bottle and would only use it for cooking. The beer is just too spicy to to drink and you can not taste anything in the beer other than fire.

Ghost Face Killah from Twisted Pine Brewing Company