Ghost Face Killah | Twisted Pine Brewing Company

Twisted Pine Brewing Company
Colorado, United States | website

Style: Chile Beer

Availability: Spring

Made with 6 chiles including Anaheim, Fresno, jalapeño, serrano, habenero, and ghost chile.

Added by Todd on 01-11-2011

3.1

Reviews: 178 | Ratings: 578
3.97/5  rDev +28.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to MbpBugeye for sharing this bottle. This was one of the rare instances where a 12oz bottle made it around a 15 person tasting and there was still a few oz left behind. I manned up and took almost 2oz, which, for this beer, is plenty (at least unless it is the only thing you intend to taste the rest of the day).

A - Really light yellow color. Very clear. Minute white head.

S - Smells of jalapeno (which I describe is mildly spicy chile and green pepper), onion peels, and hot red chiles.

T - Very spicy. It;s a heat the builds (and builds quickly), but is excellent for what the beer's aim is. I really enjoy spicy food, so I was enjoying Ghost Face Killah, but I can easily see where this would become overwhelming for the average person.

M - Sticky, almost slimy with long linger bitterness (and chile burn).

O - As far as "chile beers" go, this has got to be one of the best. A fun tick at the very least.

3.94/5  rDev +27.1%

Yeah, the ratings are all over the place on this one. Is it a chile "beer"? The label says "malt beverage." Big, thin, foamy head that immediately dissipates, leaving no lacing. Aroma is peppers, not much else. Mouthfeel is thin and watery. But the taste is just as you'd expect: no perceptible beer flavors to speak of, just a long and lingering heat. Stay with it long enough and you begin to pick up some of the fruity hints of the habañero and ghost chilies. Not entirely unpleasant. It is what it claims to be, and that's OK by me.

3.93/5  rDev +26.8%

Thanks for this cool extra Danilo!

Drank last night, reviewed from notes.

poured into sam Adams pint glass.

Appearance: Straw gold bodied beer with a white fizzy head that is gone almost by the time the beer is finished pouring.

Smell: This beer is all pepper. U can get a nice fresh smell of peppers. Mostly reminds me of green peppers. Also has a smokey noted in the nose. It really reminds of being the garden. The nose is the stand out part of this beer. Impressive.

Taste: Peppers taste similiar to green pepper just like the smell. Also has a mild smokey note and can taste a slight meaty note almost like bacon. After that, it gets hot and you feel the burn and then the after burn. All the way down the throat.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied beer with moderate carbonation.

Overall: This is a one and done beer for me. I am glad I got the opportunity to try this beer. Its best pepper beer I have ever had. Too hot for my liking, but that was this beers purpose. Pepper beers are just not my thing!

3.9/5  rDev +25.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bought out of curiosity for $3.89 for 12oz in AR. I should note that I tend to like this style (including Cave Creek), although I always feel I need a beer (non-Chile) to wash it down.

Poured with a golden orange color and a highly enthusiastic head – couldn’t pour normally without pausing without overflow. Head diminished very quickly to no head/no lacing, but visible carbonation.

Smell is highly dominated by hot peppers. Of the hints of beer, smell similar to Corona, but more malt and slight sweetness…but no mistaking what you are facing.

Starts as a hot, but pleasant, beer. But, the heat is more than normally palatable. (Note that I make hot world-class chili with 6 types of fresh hot peppers and consume hot sauces at nearly every meal.) Honestly, I really like the flavor…fairly complex blend of peppers…just not the overall heat intensity. The beer base, a high quality Mexican beer style, is totally appropriate.

Mouthfeel is medium light as appropriate for the style.

IMO, everything works here but the heat intensity. Maybe you need this heat to achieve the real pepper flavor. It is the best “hot pepper” beer I’ve had. Would have been better if consumed with food or split with a fellow drinker. Would I drink this again? Yes, but probably sharing 12oz with someone.

I can’t say I wasn’t warned and I am happy to say I have drunk this. It is definitely not for mainstream beer people. Isn’t craft beer fun!

3.88/5  rDev +25.2%

Thanks to Boatshoes for this bottle. I received this along side Billy's Chilies, which I thought was pretty interesting and quite good. I've been excited for this one. I put on "Fishscale" by Ghostface Killah for the occasion. Let's try the ramped up version.

Appearance
As Tony Starks takes me deep into the 36 chambers of Wu, I pour the beer into a Mikkeller wine-style glass. GFK is lot like Billy's, not much to look at. A short, white head fades quickly with barely a trace. At least Ghost Face has nice clarity and great color, a rich amber.

Aroma
Much like Billy's this one is extremely vegetal on the nose. Fresh cut peppers are coming through very strongly but there is a smell of steamed peas and lima beans. The peas somehow overpower the chili peppers. There is almost nothing in the way of malts and hops.

Taste
WOAH, like a ton of bricks the jalokia peppers decimate the palate. The heat is apparent right away, but once you swallow you don't know what hit you. Its intense, piquant, persistent and...AWESOME. But this heat isn't really much of a flavor, although it does carry a really nice red pepper calling card. In actuality the flavors are minimal, it really just tastes like some bogus lager-like creation that got all messed up and turned all vegetal. The aftertaste is quite the spectacle though. Curry, jerk, crush and dried red peppers. Niiice.

Mouthfeel
Here's where I count out the rest of the heat these peppers dole out. Simply put, this is THE hottest, most chili-forward beer out there. It HAS to be. My lips are burning, my tongue is burning and my throat is really burning all the way down into my chest. Take care with this one, I'd hate to get it in my eyes.
The beer is low carbonated, medium bodied and slick. Its kinda gross if it weren't for the heat.

Overall
Amazing. I have very little experience with the Ghost Chili, but this actually has me even more scared of it. If Jolokia can transfer this much pepper heat into a beer, the real thing must be deadly.

3.87/5  rDev +24.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Got this at the release today, 5 May 11. Poured from a twelve ounce bottle into a small taster glass at the brewery. Poured a light, straw-like color with a small head and very little lacing. Aroma of sweeter malt, wheat, and chiles. Had to laugh when Dan tried to inhale too much to get the aroma and got a noseful of it--heat definitely got to him! Taste was pretty good: malt, a little wheat bread or biscut, and heat/chile. Mouthfeel was decent: less heat than I was expecting, though definitely hotter than any other chile beer I'd had prior to this one. Not too bad at all; glad I have more than one bottle left.

EDIT: After having a full bottle last night, I'd have to say that this is a tasty brew and have changed my rating a bit.

3.86/5  rDev +24.5%

Appearance -- pours a pale straw hue with a slim fizzy head. Not thrilling.

Smell -- The nose is greeted with an abundance of green chile, woodsmoke, lager yeast fermentation notes, and the faint presence of floral hops. The aroma of chiles was at the forefront and well-presented. Actually, pretty nice if you're looking for fresh chile aroma.

Taste -- Again, the chile presence is at the forefront, largely of Anaheims with a bit of the smoked chiles in the background. There's still enough base beer presence to keep this from being boring: pilsner malt, gentle plum-like fermentation character and floral hops. The heat is strong, certainly, but not overpowering.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation.

Overall -- While I feel that this is a great showcase for the chiles, I still would not want to drink this on a regular basis, or possibly ever again. Still, I'm glad I tried it.

3.84/5  rDev +23.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle

Acquired via trade
Thanks, quirkzoo!

Clear dark straw yellow with a small near-white head that doesn't leave much stick to the glass.

The aroma, as expected, is filled with big, expressive spicy chile character. This smells like I hoped it would. The aroma prepares you for what comes next. You know this is going to be hot.

The flavor follows the aroma, with huge spicy elements washing over the mouth and down the throat, leaving the mouth briefly aflame. That being said, the spicy doesn't last for as long as feared, and is actually quite pleasant. That being said, the flavor is somewhat simple: it's spicy!

Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

This beer was exactly what I was hoping it would be: intensely spicy, yet actually enjoyable. I split the bottle between 6 or so brave beer drinkers, but I happily finished my 2+ oz. pour.

3.84/5  rDev +23.9%

Thanks Ryan!

I drank Cave Creek not too long ago and was moderately impressed... not by its light lager character but by the flavor and the heat. GFK takes shit to an entirely different level. It's not beer, or at least the base beer is no different from "yellow fizzy" types.

But that should be disregarded. An excellent blend of what I suppose could be called aroma chillies and taste chillies... smells like it would sting and it does sting. Smells green and crushed red at the same time, call it complex. Extreme heat in the taste that lingers for a while even on my punished-on-a-daily-basis palate.

Whatever it is, it was great in small quantities (I drank my share of the bottle and then some more for the record).

3, 4, 4, 3, 4

3.83/5  rDev +23.5%

Received this in a trade and shared with bpk59 (Ben) and JLindros as well as others for some chili beer tasting session. Poured into a tulip. Reviewed from notes.

A - Poured a clear golden hue with a half finger of sudsy head that faded relatively quickly to leave a very soft, light halo.

S - Oh yeah, chili assault, burnt spice, chili powder, and earthy smoke from the jolkiah pepper. Nice.

T - Excellent ghost chili notes. Just delicious. Lightly smokey like the flavour of the ghost chili is. Really does the ghost chili justice. Just solid.

M - Slightly thin for my liking. Something bigger would have helped convey the heat.

O - This was a great chili beer, just delicious. I love ghost chili's and this did the pepper justice. Job well done.

3.81/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz. Bottle

Pours a nice slightly cloudy golden amber color, very nice carbonation, with a nice one-finger creamy off-white head, which leaves some sticky lacing. The nose is hoppy, with some nice malt notes, some pepper/spice notes. The taste is pretty good, hoppy, slight malt note, very spicy/hot for a beer. Medium body, with a slightly dry/bitter/hot finish. Overall, a very tasty/nice brew, surprised the shit out of me how hot/spicy this brew is, might be a little bit hotter than the Stone Crime, but a lot less ABV.

3.8/5  rDev +22.6%

Thanks to Rudzud for sharing.

Very light fizzy head hazy honey color.

Nose smells like pure hot peppers, light malty ale, capcasin, pepper flesh.

Quite hot, lots of spice and hot pepper, very nice pepper flavor, mostly hot on the throat, light malty ale, heat hits hit at first but doesn't linger too long, light earthy quality, nice great that really hits you but doesn't destroy. Finish long heat and nice pepper flavor, light sweet sticky malt.

Mouth is med bodied but feels slightly thin as there isn't much base over the pepper, quite hot of hot peppers.

Overall pretty nice, good heat that doesn't overpower, quite hot, nice pepper flavor too.

3.8/5  rDev +22.6%

2oz into a pint glass
A- Straw yellow, no head
S- All chilis, spicy
T- Very spicy, smoked peppers
M- Thin, painful
O- Probably the best chili beer I have had, that said, I don't dig chili beers, if you are into them its surely worth a shot, I would probably try it again.

3.79/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured into fluted snifter; looks like an IPA, golden yellow-orange with a moderate white head that fades quickly, fizzy.
Smells of all chiles. Chipotle, green jalapeno, very crisp vegetal chile scent that is really appetizing. Not much hint of the hotter habanero or ghost peppers in the smell, except for a ghostly twang in the nostril at the very end of a hard, close sniff.
Taste...not nearly as hot as everyone made it out to be. Then again, I love spicy things. Anyways, it starts off with some smooth, slightly sweet corn malt. Your tongue begins to tingle as it explores your mouth. Then on the swallow, it's all pepper. Mostly smoky and that generic "pepper" taste that most chile beers have, along with a hefty dose of spice. But not enough to even cause me discomfort...it reminded me of a very strong ginger beer. Very spicy on the throat and in the nose, but does no lasting damage.
Mouthfeel is thin and slick; the latter quality may be helped by the pepper oils.
Overall, this beer is a novelty. I'm glad I found it and got to try it, but I wouldn't pick it up again. There's no malt backbone at all, so as beer quality goes it's pretty poor. However, I don't think it's meant to be anything but a super-spicy novelty beer, and it achieves that very well. But it's worth picking up once to try, if only to say you did. Don't fear the "ghost pepper;" it's nowhere near as spicy as anything else I've had with ghost chiles.

3.77/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had to try this one out of morbid curiosity.

Served in a Port City tulip.

A: Poured a bright orange with a slight chill haze, some visible carbonation, and really no head whatsoever.

S: Actually, I dug the smell on this much more than I though I would. Liquified pepper mixture, for sure. You can actually smell the vegetable heat!

T: Certainly a spicy endurance test, like a vegetable garden, and with sort of a salty backbone overall.

M: The hottest, most offensively tear inducing beer in history, but I kinda dug it in sort of a sick way. No lacing or booze detected, just straight up heat.

O: This is a novelty beer, for sure, but it's not without it's merits.

3.75/5  rDev +21%

All these pansies talking about acid reflux and indigestion? :) -wasn't caused by this beer. A buddy and I finished a half bottle each with no problems and no seering pain or anything. It is definitely hot with what I call a "pleasant" tingle in the mouth. Base beer is solid and the peppers take the frontstage. I traded for more after I picked up the first couple bottles.

3.74/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: hazy orange body with no head.

S: lots of chili and peppercorn. Habaneros, Hot sauce.

T: Pretty ridiculous. Its like having 2 parts hot sauce, one part water. This burn lingers for a long while. Might as well stop any beer tasting you may be a part of for a while after this one. But actually, the flavor is excellent.

M: no idea. It just burns.

Overall: a must try and a must share. Perhaps 4 oz bottles would be better.

3.72/5  rDev +20%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

pours a slightly orangish yellow with a slight haze. some white head that lasted a short bit.

smells like peppers, i mean really. this smells like hot peppers, bell peppers, and heat. can't knock it as it smells like what it is, hot peppers.

somewhere is a faint hint of malt BUT this is all peppers, loads of heat through out. not much else to describe here. its just hot.

burning, tastes like burning. lips, tongue, gums, all numb after a few sips. burning sensation means short small sips.

i dug it, its not meant to be this big flavorful beer, its meant to be hot as shit, and it is.

3.68/5  rDev +18.7%

Thanks to someone for sharing this at the May Freetail bottle release. When I saw this beer brought out I had no idea what to think. I love spicy food, but I am not a huge fan of chili beers so this should be interesting.

The beer pours a basic yellow color with a large white head. The aroma is very heavy on the peppers. There may be a little bit of malt mixed in, but this smells like you just stuck your head in a bucket of peppers.

The flavor is more of the same. I get a ton of heat when I drink the beer but there is also some nice pepper flavors. I can't say that I can pick out the individual chilis, but it is definitely more complex than the flavor in Billy's Chilis and some of the other pepper beers I have tried - such as the infamous Cave Creek Chili Beer. The heat lingers after the beer has left your mouth.

Thin mouthfeel and medium carbonation. This is a hard beer to rate since it is so unlike most other beers, but I did like it.

3.68/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This is a tough review to write. I don't think the scores are all that relevant - really, two sets of scores are needed.

The first set will be reviewing this as what the beer sets out to - be a wicked hot pepper elixir.
In this regard, I think the beer is successful.
A=4, S=4, T=4, M=3.5, O=3.
The beer is basically fizzy hot-pepper juice that really does burn as it goes down. It pours a sunshine yellow with a small head. Aromas are completely of chili-peppers. No secrets as to what is in this beer. Taste? Almost exclusively hot pepper. Mouthfeel - burns the mouth right away and keeps burning for quite some time after you finish drinking it. Overall, I split the beer with a friend and I wouldn't care for another. Oh yeah - I am a chili-head and I intentionally wanted a spicy chili beer, and I think this really lived up to the hype.

Now, for the second review - This brew was basically fermented, carbonated hot pepper juice. No other flavors present that I could find. It was also extremely, fiery hot all the way down.

My overall conclusion is that this beer will survive to be a "hot pepper drinker's challenge" but not much more. Kind of like going to a Thai restaurant and ordering the hottest item on the menu, just to see if you can handle it. But I can't see this being anything other than that.

One thing that I might consider, however, is cooking with this beer, especially making a pot of chili with it. Now that might be a keeper!

3.68/5  rDev +18.7%

This is a freak of beers and really just had to be in it's own category. Or needs to... I'm not even going to address any other beer than a beer with peppers in it that have some burn. This is a burn on a whole different level.
I loved the mouthfeel, it was very drinkable, not heavy or sticky or odd. It just flew by with a crispness which is a bit difficult to determine, but it does. If it weren't for the surprising and aggressive burning sensation than throws your lips and mouth into an upheaval, I believe the crispness would be more on your mind.
It had a nice deepish gold to orange tone... smelled of... well... peppers and beer, a tad smokiness to it.
And the beer... a little bit of lager kind of a taste and then... POW! You are assaulted by peppers and a scorched-earth-to-your-mouth campaign. You can taste the peppers, which is good. There is a real pepper taste obviously a few different peppers which is nice. There is a bit of a smokiness in the heat which makes the beer interesting... The pepper taste does have a freshness to it. If it were not for this, the beer would be a loss. I have only had a few other beers which have burned as badly as this.
Cave Creek with the jalapeño pepper in the bottle is the only beer that burned worse. Luckily, Ghost Face does not blaze your mouth into utter submission... You continuously can taste as long as you do not try to just chug it away.
This was definitely a novelty among beers but was worth the try... I would not pay over $3 for it though. I would probably not do it again. Their Billy's Chillies ale on the other hand is a beer I revisit but it is much less aggressive. Ska's Mole Stout which has a nice pepper burn is wonderful. This again, is a shocking novelty. But well achieved.

3.68/5  rDev +18.7%

OK. I sought out this beer so I can only blame myself for this. Pours with no head at all. Zero lacing. Zero retention. Aroma is likelike chili oil. Smells like fresh hot peppers just cut. Tastes like chili sauce. The heat sort of creeps up on you. It is just on the pleasant side of hot sauce. Could go very nicely with some Mexican or Thai food. Mouthfeel is heat. Light dry and hot. It is exactly what I would want from a hot pepper beer. I am using overall as drinkability. Holy crap. More than 2 oz is too much. Its a cool experience and a very unique beer.

3.67/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle, purchased as a single, for about $3.95 (can you say hype?)

Pours clouded dull lighter amber, with lots of sediment kinda stuff floating around. Minimal head, film, collar and no lacing.

Strong pepper on the sniff.

This shite is HOT...as a chili pepper head and enjoyer, this one is the real deal.. ...if you do not enjoy the aroma flavor and yes burn of copious amounts of capsaisin / chili pepper flavor and heat, stay away...but if you do..this one just may be for you....I found it tasty and enjoyable...I dont really feel like another one...one will do just fine....probably would be a nice and tasty addition to a pot of fiery chili...enjoy with caution!

3.65/5  rDev +17.7%

Poured from the 12 oz bottle into a Mason Jar, golden brew with no head, aroma was fresh peppers and not much else. With the first taste your mouth fires up with pepper heat...just like the label implies...it goes on to light up your throat. By the 3rd sip you might think DRAIN POUR...I never have done that and hope never to have to. No lace to be had but the heat get more acceptable as you drink on, you get a little beer taste when you have about 3 drinks left. Overall I think this does what is says on the label, it is a gimmick beer but fun to try. As a true Chili Beer it falls short because you can't really taste the beer but I rated it for the label...it's designed to shock the mouth...which it did.

3.64/5  rDev +17.4%

Kinda tasted like a crappy beer saved by ghost pepper. I enjoyed the heat till about half way through the bottle and had to recap it. It's getting an over 4 because I cooked my dogfish brats in the ghostface and it added nice kick. Good for cooking, not for drinking

Ghost Face Killah from Twisted Pine Brewing Company