Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Ghost Face Killah | Twisted Pine Brewing Company

Colorado, United States
twistedpinebrewery.com

Style: Chile Beer

Availability: Spring

Made with 6 chiles including Anaheim, Fresno, jalapeño, serrano, habenero, and ghost chile.

Added by Todd on 01-11-2011

4.49/5  rDev +50.7%

Preface - I always rate brews to style...

A - Very average. No head. or lacing. Very golden *slightly* murky clear color. Great bubbles.

S - Hot! Spicy and Round! Strong pepper scent. Slight wood smell too. There's not too many other scents besides Chilies.

T - Sweet JEEZSUS! Strong pepper taste! Not nearly as much heat as I thought there would be... But, very spicy nonetheless.

M - Great carbonation; perfect for the style! Heavy bodied and very wet tasting. A very complete brew.

O - Perfect for the style, not much was missed. Would be an awesome brew for a BBQ, or to sneak up on your friends with.... Very unique and delicious. I couldn't drink a whole lot of this one... But, good while it lasts, great to split with a friend, or two, or three...

Cheers!

4.47/5  rDev +50%

im getting this beer a high rating because it completely advertises that you're drinking a hot pepper. Other than that you really have no expectations going into this beer so if you want to drink a pepper. This is the great beer for you so I will rate it highly based on that!

4.42/5  rDev +48.3%

Edit 2 days later ok I did happy hour again (why not it's Friday) this beer is delicious, smells and drinks like a malty blonde ale with a nice throat burn. Honestly, Capones wings are hotter, and the horse radish I had few years ago at a beef and beer actually made my eyes water and was incredible. What I'm trying to say is this beer's real good, but I would consider it mild. Now I gotta try the ghost scorpion.

enjoyed with $.25 happy hour hot wings at Capones Norristown. delicious and different, hot and spicy. loved it. what else do you need to say?

the only thing is i had this after 36 oz Port Hop 15 draught, one helluva palate wrecker (sorry green flash, your wrecker stinks) so im not sure i even got the full effect. have to try this again first with the wings.

fresh hop 15? some beers are so much better than the rest.

4.37/5  rDev +46.6%

I'm giving this beer such good ratings for it's style. I've had other chili beers and this one tops the chart.

appearance - hazy yellow orange, simple but pretty. no head whatsoever

smell - chili, pepper, hot (not from alcohol), a little onion (maybe i just relate the two)

taste - the same, spicy lil guy but not overwhelming so, interesting one to pair up chips and salsa with this guy, or burritos, enchiladas, tamales, oh the options...interesting

mouthfeel - sort of obvious from the taste

4.34/5  rDev +45.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.29/5  rDev +44%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Look: 12oz bottle poured into a shaker glass. Golden yellow, cloudy with no head and light bubbles rising to the surface.
Smell: Peppers...duh. Smells like the inside of a bell pepper. Burns the nostril. Beginning to think I might be getting ready to drink hot sauce.
Taste: I'm not going to be that guy. That guy who says it's not hot. But, maybe I was just bracing myself. I went into habenero sculpin blind it made we sweat bullets. This stuff is definitely hot, but it has a lot of flavor. Serrano and jalapeno are decipherable, but then it just begins the burn. It didn't make me sweat, but it does provide a nice burn. It didn't kill my lips like habenero sculpin did either, more of the throat. Heat doesn't come in waves too much, it's just pepper flavor, the burn, and more burn, but without a drastic increase in intensity.
Feel: Weak bodied, and watery.
Overall: Try it for the novelty. Don't expect to drink this quick. It really gave me a bad case of the burps. I recommend it over habernero sculpin and billie's chilies. Flavor-wise it knocks both of those out of the park.

4.28/5  rDev +43.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Wow spicy as hell but the feel is amazing!! What a beer I mean hot sauce!!! lol not kidding though!

4.26/5  rDev +43%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Chile beers are one of those categories I love because they are hard to do well. Often they come across either overwhelming or underwhelming and few strike the right balance. This one, however, finds balance while being overtly aggressive. Habanero Sculpin is no joke, but think of that one like a Hiroshima... this one is an H bomb.

Really pale with an explosive, but quickly dissipating and large-grained head.

Chile aromas JUMP out of the glass. You don't even need to sniff, just be nearby as it's being poured. Not just heat, but smoky/earthy/fruity hints that speak of true chile essence. You get nuance of those different chiles: jalapeno, habanero, and anaheim in particular.

Flavor is off the charts. This has a real kick. It's hot. Not a beer for those who don't truly want to feel some burn. It gets hotter as you go. Probably the hottest chile beer I've yet tried. The malts and grains play a back seat here, supporting the chile much the way they do for hops in a hoppy beer. Hops, if present, are so well integrated as to not be readily apparent in the face of the thermite grenade of flavor that hits you upon first sip. Finish is dry, refreshing, and with a long, lingering burn that releases fruity and savory chile notes as it fades.

Medium bodied. Crisp enough to contrast the heat level, but with enough backbone to carry the flavors and satisfy.

Overall, I was impressed. One I'll be getting again, for sure. Usually, this much heat would be too much for a beer, but somehow they make it work. Great conversational beer, as it's going to be very, very divisive and people will either love it or hate it.

4.26/5  rDev +43%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.23/5  rDev +41.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This beer does exactly what is says it does! Initial malt profile, with pepper hitting2 seconds later and filling a mild burn from the throat to the nasal cavity! Well done! It could be a bit clearer, possibly a cold break, and for the amount of oils from the peppers the head retention wasn't bad. For anyone liking spicy foods this is a serious try!

4.21/5  rDev +41.3%

Golden yellow body, slightly cloudy, with a huge white head on the initial pour, but after letting it settle in the pint glass, the head quickly dissipated with the top-off pour until there is virtually no head (common with chili beers; my understanding is it's due to the chili oils). Very strong chili and pepper aroma. Burning chili taste dominates the flavor; hot and long lasting. Oily, medium body.

This is the hottest chili beer I've tasted to date. Since I like the heat (and would love to have this while eating some hot buffalo wings!), it gets an decent overall score. Too bad there is no real head per se. I've had some tasty chili beers that manage to get a semblance of a beer head, but my take on the style is chili beer should have some heat and kick. In this case, this beer definitely has it.

4.2/5  rDev +40.9%

Appearance - color is a light copper to gold, hardly any head. Could be my brain but I think there's a hint of red in the coloring.

Smell - sweet and hot peppers hits the nose, not much else getting through

Taste - all heat. It hits your tounge, the top of your mouth, then down your throat. This is where this beer diverges from Billy's Chili's, the heat is more intense, and lasts longer.

Mouthfeel - lightly carbonated, hot and spicy

Overall - I'll say what I said about Billy's Chili's, I enjoyed this beer, but not more than one at a time and not every day, but goes well with mexican or other spicy food, it's a nice change of pace, but if you don't like spicy food or hot peppers, than this isn't going to change your mind. Very similiar to Twisted Pine's other chiliy beer, just a more intense and longer lasting heat.

4.17/5  rDev +39.9%

It's what they say it is. If you like ghost pepper then you would appreciate it.

4.17/5  rDev +39.9%

After sharing a bottle of this one with schmittymack and my wife at the brewery late yesterday morning (after the burn in my nose had subsided), I decided to drink a bottle last night. Like Dan mentioned, glad I have more.

Poured a light straw color with a very smallish white head. This beer is essentially Billies Chiles, "dry-hopped" with ghost chiles. Nice smokey aromas, roasted hatch chiles and light straw. On the palate, this one is very light and drinkable, with flavors of smoke, fresh chiles and roasted hatch chiles, with some slowly building heat on the back of the throat. Not nearly as hot as I was led to believe, but a very well balanced and drinkable chili beer.

4.16/5  rDev +39.6%

This is one hell of a unique beer. I know it's basically a novelty, but it's a novelty that I'm a big fan of. The heat hits you pretty much immediately, and over-powers any other flavors that the beer may have. Then your lips start to burn and turn reddish purple. You can feel the endorphins as your taste buds process the weirdness of a cool refreshing liquid that tastes like Satan's piss. But as you get to the end, you start appreciating the amazing taste of the peppers. There's a very smokey and unique flavor to the ghost chilli; a flavor I've become addicted to. Once you get over the initial shock, this beer tastes amazing.

I fear for the morning. Just once in my life I would love to down a six pack of this stuff just to be an idiot.

4.13/5  rDev +38.6%

So this is my first pepper beer, i have always avoided them because of the stories, and ed's cave was all that i ever saw, but this i had to try.

Looks wise it's just a dark burnt golden color with a bit of bubbles migrating around like plate tectonics before collapsing into the body, but even while looking at it the nose hits you.
This nose is awesome, all you get are peppers, but i was so dumbfounded i could not help but just keep smelling it many times before sipping it, i couldn't have imagined a beer like this, so odd in a good way.
The flavors are likewise, not a componant of spicy but flavor wise there is a ton of chopped bell pepper flavor in here, grilled and tossed in it tastes like, with bogus amounts of heat piled on. There was so much heat/acidity that i started feeling a bit of acid reflux in my esophagus, with tingling on my lips, unreal.
This one was made light so the pepper shines out, im sure without the heat this beer would be bland, but this is a chili beer, you wouldn't drink it if you didn't want spicy, and as such i think it is awesome.
Melted my mind.

4.12/5  rDev +38.3%
look: 2 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

$4.50 for the 12oz single, served in a pint glass
No ABV indicated on the bottle
Sampled 06JAN13

[A] An average pour yields a pale, golden-orange body, clear with just a touch of haze, and a full finger of fizzy head. Bright white and short lived. After fading the surface is entirely still, but visible carbonation shows a little bit of life. No lacing.

[S] Capsicum of all kinds. Green, orange, red, fresh, charred, seedy and fleshy. The nose is literally 'pepper' in every way imaginable. Other than that, pretty straightforward.

[T] The front end of the palate actually has a touch of sweetness. And the first wave of heat is very soft and approachable. Then, the intensity heightens after the swallow, but it never becomes extreme. It is impossible to say for sure, but the base beer seems pretty darn solid. It works as a great canvas for the layers and layers of pepper and heat. I'm digging this.

[M] The mouthfeel is surprisingly complete. Medium full and chewier than expected. My saliva starts to thicken on the second half of the bottle.

[O] I bought this bottle for the novelty of it, honestly. But I will say this: Ghostface Killah is actually a very good beer - and even better when considering the style. Sure, it's for those with an affinity for heat, but those who crave a little fire will not find it to be over the top. I finished the bottle no problem.

Ghost Face Killah from Twisted Pine Brewing Company