Ghost Face Killah | Twisted Pine Brewing Company

Colorado, United States
twistedpinebrewery.com

Style: Chile Beer

Availability: Spring

Made with 6 chiles including Anaheim, Fresno, jalapeño, serrano, habenero, and ghost chile.

Added by Todd on 01-11-2011

Reviews: 180 | Ratings: 581
2.96/5  rDev -4.2%

12oz bottle.

A: slightly hazy yellow with a bit of thin white head that quickly fades.

S: peppers. veggie green, serrano and habanero and something else hot – mostly jalapenos

T: not as hot as i expected but pretty good as far as heat is concened. Very little other tastes.

M: light body - hotness overwhelms all other sensations

O: a fun novelty beer, glad to have tried it once but will not seek out again. This is pretty much pepper water, no discernible beer qualities here besides appearance

4.42/5  rDev +43%

Edit 2 days later ok I did happy hour again (why not it's Friday) this beer is delicious, smells and drinks like a malty blonde ale with a nice throat burn. Honestly, Capones wings are hotter, and the horse radish I had few years ago at a beef and beer actually made my eyes water and was incredible. What I'm trying to say is this beer's real good, but I would consider it mild. Now I gotta try the ghost scorpion.

enjoyed with $.25 happy hour hot wings at Capones Norristown. delicious and different, hot and spicy. loved it. what else do you need to say?

the only thing is i had this after 36 oz Port Hop 15 draught, one helluva palate wrecker (sorry green flash, your wrecker stinks) so im not sure i even got the full effect. have to try this again first with the wings.

fresh hop 15? some beers are so much better than the rest.

3.32/5  rDev +7.4%

Bottle opened on 8.6.12.

A - Pours a very light, cloudy orange with a fizzy off-white head that fades quickly.

S - Spicy, hot peppers. Very salsa-like.

T - Hot peppers, fire baby!

D - Ok carbonation with a thin body. A fire in the throat finish.

O - Hot! I love it! Good flavors, but the heat is just crazy!

4.21/5  rDev +36.2%

Golden yellow body, slightly cloudy, with a huge white head on the initial pour, but after letting it settle in the pint glass, the head quickly dissipated with the top-off pour until there is virtually no head (common with chili beers; my understanding is it's due to the chili oils). Very strong chili and pepper aroma. Burning chili taste dominates the flavor; hot and long lasting. Oily, medium body.

This is the hottest chili beer I've tasted to date. Since I like the heat (and would love to have this while eating some hot buffalo wings!), it gets an decent overall score. Too bad there is no real head per se. I've had some tasty chili beers that manage to get a semblance of a beer head, but my take on the style is chili beer should have some heat and kick. In this case, this beer definitely has it.

3.38/5  rDev +9.4%

Pours amber in color with a white head. Nose is rather ominous. Intense pepper aroma which is very fresh and green. It smells quite spicy and actually stings the nose a little bit. The flavor is certainly hot and spicy, with some lingering heat, but not as bad as I was anticipating. Tons of pepper and really not much else that you can taste. Maybe some toasted malt if you’re lucky. Not awful, but about an ounce is plenty.

2.9/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Finally got to give this one a shot, 12 oz bottle purchased at Pinocchios in Media. I love chiles and hot food in general so what the heck.

Pours a lightly hazed dark apricot gold, with a small fizzy head that dissipates quickly and no lace. There's a very subtle sweetness buried in the aroma but it's pretty much dominated by fiery chiles; smells a lot like Tabasco to be honest. There's actually a lot of complexity to the nose if you allow yourself to dig in and not scorch your nostrils;some tropical fruit notes intermingle with a variety of chile aromas.

Unfortunately the flavor is just way too abusive and overpowering in peppery heat and no other elements can emerge very much; the overall effect is like drinking straight up hot sauce. Don't get me wrong, I love to douse my food in hot sauce but I still don't want to drink it straight from the bottle. The mouth is left with a lengthy lingering burn in the finish.

The body is medium light and the carbonation is moderately high; the mouthfeel is fine, but does it really matter? I could enjoy 2 ounces of this every now and then; finishing an entire bottle on one's own seems unecessarily punitive. A novelty to be sure but not really an enjoyable one.

2.12/5  rDev -31.4%

I had this on tap from the American Craft Beer fest in Boston, 6/2012

A nice golden color, nothing remarkable to speak of.

The nose is nice, you definitely get the chile, but I love chile, so I enjoyed it.

There is not much taste. It just goes down. For about 5 seconds....

God damn this beer is ridiculous. I am extremely glad it was one of the last beers I drank at the festival. Your palate is, as mentioned below, just blown out after this beer. I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt at the festival and still broke out in sweat. I should have realized something was up when I asked them for the GFK and the two ladies at the booth looked at each other than pulled a pitcher out from under their table.

I regret drinking this beer but was informed by other chile heads that this was the pinnacle of that style... whatever, I'll stick to my girly imperial IPAs!!!

1.95/5  rDev -36.9%

Poured from a bottle into a perfect pint

A- pours a straw yellow with a two finger white head that quickly fades away. Bubbles everywhere throughout the beer

S- well...it's a chile beer alright. Very smoky, spicy aroma

T- my mouth is on fire. Literally, on fire. I cannot feel anything at all. Holy crap.

M- light bodied

O- no. No. No. God no.

3.83/5  rDev +23.9%

Received this in a trade and shared with bpk59 (Ben) and JLindros as well as others for some chili beer tasting session. Poured into a tulip. Reviewed from notes.

A - Poured a clear golden hue with a half finger of sudsy head that faded relatively quickly to leave a very soft, light halo.

S - Oh yeah, chili assault, burnt spice, chili powder, and earthy smoke from the jolkiah pepper. Nice.

T - Excellent ghost chili notes. Just delicious. Lightly smokey like the flavour of the ghost chili is. Really does the ghost chili justice. Just solid.

M - Slightly thin for my liking. Something bigger would have helped convey the heat.

O - This was a great chili beer, just delicious. I love ghost chili's and this did the pepper justice. Job well done.

3.98/5  rDev +28.8%

BIG thanks to antlerwrestler19 for hooking me up with this one from his recent LIF! Poured from 12oz bottle to pint glass, with a glass of milk on the side.

Pours like many other chiles beers that I've sampled - a sort of hazy, silent red gold with a short lived half finger of head that amounts to really no lacing at all.

Obvious pepper qualities in the aroma. Not that basic vegetable profile that you find from other beers of this style. There's obvious heat that showcases that signature BBQ type burn that the ghost chile is known for. There are some subtle malt bits used to support the bite of the peppers.

Up front, it drinks like a lemony, light lager. The thin body makes it reminiscent of an easy drinking wheat or something. But just a few seconds after that first taste you get a big wave of heat. The ghost pepper doesn't dominate the same way in this regard. It's a tasty balance of the serrano/jalapeno against the habanero. The anaheim and fresno flavors are (unsurprisingly) lost in the heat of the bigger players. I wish there was a bit more of that ghost pepper bite that I have come to really love. But there is still plenty of heat here to satisfy.

Overall, this is the best beer I've had from the style. It's nothing to look at, but the tastes and aromas that it produces represent everything I look for in an aggressive chile beer.

My guess is that the lower ratings come from those certain vagina babies that just can't hang with the heat.

If you like chiles, this is a must-try.

3.59/5  rDev +16.2%

Not much head. Murky dull gold cores body.

Woo! Love the smell!. Make the nostrils flare.

Definite hot! Aftertaste. For sure. Can handle it but yeah! Not much after the pepper heat.

Low carbonation. Medium mouthfeel,

Lovin it. Although beer wise I'd set it back a half step from Great Danes Tri-Pepper Pilsner. Thanks kawilliams81.

3.62/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

thanks again to trxxpaxxs for sharing!

12oz twist off poured into a snifter, fridge temp.

pours a cloudy deep golden bordering on a light amber color. some white head that fades to nothing rather quickly.

i first get some peachy almost citrus aroma, but then gives way to all kinds of chile pepper aromas, seeds and all. the aroma does not prepare you for how hot this beer actually is, but i suppose you cant smell hot...

holy hell!!! this is like biting into a habenero! burns every part of your mouth and throat and stomach on the way down and boy does that heat linger.

your palate is left completely wrecked. your mouth throat and overall feel are more similar to drinking hot sauce than beer. fairly light in body.

its hard to enjoy this beer, but im super glad that i got a chance to try it. i was looking forward to it for awhile, and i definatly wasnt expecting it to be quite as hot as it was, despite what people have told me.

3.2/5  rDev +3.6%

Split this with dogfishandi...

A: Pours a nice cloudy peach, with little to no head. It's deceptive.

S: The nose is sweet malt, hops, peaches, some great pepper and subtle spice. It's too unassuming, which scares me.

T: Nice sweetness up front, a little bit of pepper, and then... BAM!!! MOTHER FUKIN HOT!!! Good lord. It's like licking Satan's butthole. It's hotter than hot. My whole mouth and face are on fire. Damn. It's a novelty for sure. But my goodness. This is brutal. I can't taste anything but hot peppers.

M: Light bodied beer. Hot, Hot, Hot, and then some more hot.

O: I get it. Hot ass beer. And it delivers, but I completely underestimated this beer. It's terribly great.

3.4/5  rDev +10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

i know what they say about this one, but i can get behind it. it pours an unassuming lazy light amber color with a small white head. nothinig special right? wrong. "hey benny, try this brew" okay, ill try it. BOOM whoa, this is straight fire. nothing but a deep habanero burn all the way down the throat. reports from my housemates indicate that its hot on both ends as well, oh jeez. cant taste much but the heat at first, but underneath it i can tell lies a beer that is actually pretty good, some malt to it, and even some hops (i can just tell). the peppers basically ruin your night of beer drinking, better save the russian river sours for another day because you wont taste them. feel of this beer is brutal, because it destroys all sensation in the mouth and throat, and actually hurts a little. overall i respect it for what it is, but i will never touch this to my lips again. my roomate however drank a whole one, and claimed to like it, so to each his own i guess...

3.84/5  rDev +24.3%

Thanks Ryan!

I drank Cave Creek not too long ago and was moderately impressed... not by its light lager character but by the flavor and the heat. GFK takes shit to an entirely different level. It's not beer, or at least the base beer is no different from "yellow fizzy" types.

But that should be disregarded. An excellent blend of what I suppose could be called aroma chillies and taste chillies... smells like it would sting and it does sting. Smells green and crushed red at the same time, call it complex. Extreme heat in the taste that lingers for a while even on my punished-on-a-daily-basis palate.

Whatever it is, it was great in small quantities (I drank my share of the bottle and then some more for the record).

3, 4, 4, 3, 4

3.8/5  rDev +23%

Thanks to Rudzud for sharing.

Very light fizzy head hazy honey color.

Nose smells like pure hot peppers, light malty ale, capcasin, pepper flesh.

Quite hot, lots of spice and hot pepper, very nice pepper flavor, mostly hot on the throat, light malty ale, heat hits hit at first but doesn't linger too long, light earthy quality, nice great that really hits you but doesn't destroy. Finish long heat and nice pepper flavor, light sweet sticky malt.

Mouth is med bodied but feels slightly thin as there isn't much base over the pepper, quite hot of hot peppers.

Overall pretty nice, good heat that doesn't overpower, quite hot, nice pepper flavor too.

3.8/5  rDev +23%

2oz into a pint glass
A- Straw yellow, no head
S- All chilis, spicy
T- Very spicy, smoked peppers
M- Thin, painful
O- Probably the best chili beer I have had, that said, I don't dig chili beers, if you are into them its surely worth a shot, I would probably try it again.

3.41/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Cheers to Goblinmunkey7 for this beer... I think

Appearance: Pours a hazy dark gold color - started with a minimal white head, faded nearly instantly - some mild carbonation, but it does look pretty flat - I'm having some flashbacks to Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer

Smell: A bit scary at first, but actually not awful - tons of chiles everywhere - to start, it's like sticking your nose into a jar of red pepper flakes - vegetal, but not disgustingly so, more dry than salsa-like - just smells like chilis, no malts to be found, really doesn't smell like beer

Taste: Sweet mother of Satan - this is hot - as in, I took one sip and I am hiccuping uncontrollably - But I must admit, it doesn't taste awful - it actually tastes like a good hot sauce - not a face-melting heat, but it is very hot - some spicy hot sauce flavor at the tip of the tongue, along with some decent lager flavors - like, pale malts, unexpectedly sweet - but seconds later, the heat brutally dropkicks you in the throat - I am sweating, hiccuping, and my nose is running - tastes like burning, not like beer

Mouthfeel: Medium body, adequate carbonation, but the whole throat-punching part doesn't win it any bonus points

Overall: Dear butthole, it's been nice knowing you

It's hard for me to even comment on this beer. It's tasty. I would love to use this at a hot sauce. And by that, I mean I would love to sprinkle A FEW DROPS on some meals. This is liquid sadomasochism. It's good for what it is, but I will have nightmares.

4.12/5  rDev +33.3%

Split with angrybabboon. Thanks to injuredreserve for the bottle.

Appearance: Slightly hazed dark gold. No head to speak of. It just sits there all nonchalant and menacing. Slight haze. No visible carbonation.

Smell: Loads of vegetal peppers. Biting spiciness pulls through, curling the nose hairs. Light smokiness that reminds me of chipotles...for obvious reasons. Very mellow in terms of malts. It's all heat and peppers. Aggressive but not overpowering. Nice depth of peppers running from smoky to straight spicy and back down to fresh non-spicy peppers.

Taste: Hey, it's spicy. Building heat climaxes in something that I can only describe as tasting like burning. Loads of real pepper flavor. Crazy depth of vegetal flavors. Mildly smoky with a lingering punch. Malts are almost non-existent and wouldn't help if they were. It's unrelenting spiciness that builds with each sip. Love that ghost chili flavor.

Mouthfeel: I can't feel a thing, but my mouth is numb. Burnt lips. Body is light with a moderate carbonation. Drinks smooth and hot.

Overall: Hiccups I can feel the molten gold pour down my insides. It's coating my organs, turning me in to some sort of magma beast. I will be reborn of the inferno. Infused with the righteous fires of determination. I perservere and dominate. I am the molten god.

3.99/5  rDev +29.1%

Cracking open the bottle I get strong chilies (just cracking open the cap). It pours an innocent looking light amber, but the head disintegrates quickly. A big whiff of the nose lets you know you're in for trouble...an the taste is instant heartburn. Upfront fresh picked chilies... it's really remarkable how pungent it is. I did not expect this much heat from a beer, maybe I should have chilled it first! The mouthfeel is intensely hot with a subtle smokiness in the aftertaste followed by damage control mouth watering...a small sip is enough.
Totally worth trying if you want to 1) trick a friend 2) poop your pants 3) or pair a beer with indian food...real indian food.
It lived up to the hype about it being the most intense chili beer available, but it's almost completely undrinkable.

2.92/5  rDev -5.5%

Another beer shared by Rhettroactive the other night. It poured a light golden color with a thin white head sticking to edges of the glass.

In the aroma I get a lot of vegetable like pepper qualities to it. It's got a little heat, but not that telling as to how hot it's going to be. Pretty much smells like a hot pepper. The aroma actually showed off the peppers fairly well.

The heat is pretty intense in the taste. It's definitely the hottest thing I've ever drank. A little of the pepper flavor is detectable, but otherwise it just tastes like burning.

The mouthfeel is this with carbonation being on the lower side. Overall, they definitely succeeded at making a hot as hell beer. As a chili beer, it was a cool novelty to share with friends and get some laughs from. As a beer though, it's about as drinkable as hot pepper juice is.

3.1/5  rDev +0.3%

From 12oz bottle to Devil's Backbone glass on 5/5/12
*From notes

A: Like an unfiltered pale lager. A firm pour yields no sign of a head, zero lacing and no real collar.

S: Just put a bottle of hot sauce up your nose. It's not so much hot as it is peppery. It's like you can literally smell the crushed pepper flakes.

T: All heat from beginning to end. It's lacking any semblance of balance. Malt? Hops? Forgetaboutit! It's spicy, like drinking a shot of hot sauce. I've had hotter (not beer mind you), but this is certainly some caliente shit.

M: Bubbly enough. Jesus...the heat is really setting in.

O: Look, if you want a chile beer, this is your solution. I've never had a beer this hot, and I knew I wasn't just being a pussy when one my buddies started to hiccup from the heat. I'm not giving this a four overall for anything other then what it set out to do: scald your palate.

And if nothing else, I haven't had such fun cracking a beer in a long, long time. Sharing this insane concoction and the hearty laughs that came with it with my tasting group won't soon be forgotten.

3.84/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle

Acquired via trade
Thanks, quirkzoo!

Clear dark straw yellow with a small near-white head that doesn't leave much stick to the glass.

The aroma, as expected, is filled with big, expressive spicy chile character. This smells like I hoped it would. The aroma prepares you for what comes next. You know this is going to be hot.

The flavor follows the aroma, with huge spicy elements washing over the mouth and down the throat, leaving the mouth briefly aflame. That being said, the spicy doesn't last for as long as feared, and is actually quite pleasant. That being said, the flavor is somewhat simple: it's spicy!

Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

This beer was exactly what I was hoping it would be: intensely spicy, yet actually enjoyable. I split the bottle between 6 or so brave beer drinkers, but I happily finished my 2+ oz. pour.

2.42/5  rDev -21.7%

This review will be very simple, because let's face it, if you know what are you are opening, you know what you are getting into.

Doesn't pour very much head. I only took a few ounces of this one. Color is a hazed pale yellow.

Aroma/Taste: Massive amounts of hot peppers. Pretty much the only thing you can taste is peppers and lots of them.

Mouthfeel: Burning. Lots of burning. Hard to leave this in your mouth very long because it is so hot.

Overall, it really isn't enjoyable because of how hot it is. I love peppers, but there was too much in this beer to make the beer drinkable. Definitely a novelty beer.

3.32/5  rDev +7.4%

12 oz twist off.

It pours a slightly hazy gold with a fizzy white head that recedes with no lacing.

The smell is nice, I guess quintessential for a CHILE BEER. Nice fresh pepper aromas. Lots of Jalepeno and Anaheim with spicy hints of habrenero. It even has a dried characteristic, not sure how many of the peppers in here were fresh or dried. It doesn't really make you sneeze or anything. Not much hops or malt in the smell.

The flavor is mildly malty but mostly dominated by peppery heat. It isn't mindblowingly hot but pretty blunt, mainly just hot. There is some pepper flavor but it isn't savory nor sweet, just vegetal. I think maybe adding some smoked malts and salt or a good bit of malt it might have more character. But it does highlight the heat aspect.

The mouthfeel is medium carbonated with a spicy aftertaste.

Overall not bad with a great smell but the flavor could be better.

Ghost Face Killah from Twisted Pine Brewing Company