Ghost Face Killah | Twisted Pine Brewing Company

Colorado, United States
twistedpinebrewery.com

Style: Chile Beer

Availability: Spring

Made with 6 chiles including Anaheim, Fresno, jalapeño, serrano, habenero, and ghost chile.

Added by Todd on 01-11-2011

an extra from a trade from some point in time...not sure how old or fresh this is. I know I have had this for a WHILE. decided to pop alongside a ghost scorpion, cause I was bored. from a sniff I knew this wasn't for me but when it touched my lips...what a mistake. YIKES. this 's a joke right?

2.91/5  rDev -5.8%

Thanks, willandperry! I've been anxious to try this one :-)

Appearance. Pours a clear, yellow gold with two fingers of white head that doesn't last long at all.

Smell. Wow, roasted sweet red peppers and a smokey, salty driftwood kind of smell. Interesting, but not as something to drink...

Taste. Tangy bell peppers along with white pepper and hot fresh jalepenos. This beer doesn't disapoint with the heat, and I like my firey food. Taste isn't as bad as I expected from the smell. For this "style", I guess it's pretty decent tasting.

Mouthfeel. Medium-light body, medium+ carbonation.

Overall. Well, it was an experience to say the least. Really glad to have tried it. My cheeks are sweating, and that's the level of heat that I like in any Indian, and various other ethnic foods. Extra full overall point for doing a chille beer that definitely showcases the chilles. Thanks again, willandperry!

3.75/5  rDev +21.4%

3.06/5  rDev -1%

Off top this is a novelty beer. Golden color, looks like a beer. The smell gives a very good indicator of what you can expect, smoky peppers, just foreboding in every sense of the word. the flavor is smoky pepper, maybe that is the serrano? It then quickly morphs into heat that is not a joke. I love hot foods so this did not phase me but make no mistake this beer is hot and you will feel it in your tongue. I had to try this beer because I have had good chile beers from Coopersmith's and Stone 11.11.11 but I won't revisit this.

2.26/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2.25

Pours golden with very quickly. Smells like a great hot sauce, but not a beer. Very crisp refreshing brew behind the pepper. Crazy hot pepper here and it is just too much. Good grief. I think it is worth trying as a novelty, but I would be impressed with anyone that could put this whole bottle down themselves. I am curious if this would be a good beer for cooking as a marinade. But as is it just burns.

3.2/5  rDev +3.6%

Split this with dogfishandi...

A: Pours a nice cloudy peach, with little to no head. It's deceptive.

S: The nose is sweet malt, hops, peaches, some great pepper and subtle spice. It's too unassuming, which scares me.

T: Nice sweetness up front, a little bit of pepper, and then... BAM!!! MOTHER FUKIN HOT!!! Good lord. It's like licking Satan's butthole. It's hotter than hot. My whole mouth and face are on fire. Damn. It's a novelty for sure. But my goodness. This is brutal. I can't taste anything but hot peppers.

M: Light bodied beer. Hot, Hot, Hot, and then some more hot.

O: I get it. Hot ass beer. And it delivers, but I completely underestimated this beer. It's terribly great.

1.48/5  rDev -52.1%

Pepper heat renders this beer undrinkable for normal humans.

2.85/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle into a nonic pint glass. I was really looking forward to this one - if only for the novelty factor alone.

A: Pours a cloudy golden color. The head is a one finger white shade that retains very poorly.

S: File this one into the "no shit" category: it's full of ridiculously hot peppers. Plain and simple, it smells like acid reflux. Yay?

T: This actually has more to it than just bowel-fuckingly hot peppers. For a brief minute, it has slight touches of initial tropical fruit (like mango and papaya). Then, the midtaste becomes quite smoky, and then pure fiery heat descends. I also detect notes of pine and phenolic plastic. I'm surprised how complex this is; no it doesn't layer itself in a finessed manner - but there is a rock-solid depth to it. In terms of heat, it's not really that far off from a spicy michelada, nor is it the hottest thing I've put in my mouth. If anything, it hits the hallmark objective of what a spicy tongue-fucker should achieve: can you taste more to it than just stupid chile heat? If anything, the huge phenolic notes are the biggest detractor for me, not the spiciness.

M: For sure, one burns the palate with searing heat. This destroys the palate far better than any IPA could hope to achieve. It's clean and dry enough where the heat actually doesn't last ridiculously long on the palate, though. Still, I can really feel it in my esophagus, retro-nasals, and stomach - and I can really feel acid reflux setting in, too.

O: It's actually not the hottest thing I've ever had before - but it's one of the hottest things I've ever drank (only a couple of bloody marys or micheladas that I overspiced really challenge it). It gets a 4.5 just for the experience; it's certainly not pleasant, but it's somehow fun to drink. I reckon this would make an awesome adjunct to chili, as well.

3.04/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

3.5/5  rDev +13.3%

2.46/5  rDev -20.4%

A: This poured a cloudy gold with some white head.
S: It smelled like jalapeno and chipotle and tabasco. Can't find much beer related scent.
T: It tasted like sweet peppers and burning. It had a lasting intensely hot aftertaste.
M: It was watery with lots of carbonation. Fizzy body.
D: This was exactly what it claims to be - hot beer. Really hot. If the scent didn't warn you off, the taste certainly should. Fitting body, but tough to handle the finish. Definitely not easy to drink. Fun to try once, but not for much more than a few sips, unless you're really into spicy drinks.

3.16/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

2.72/5  rDev -12%

12 oz bottle pours a hazed yellow color with a few bubbles of head, no retention or lacing, which is typical of chile beers.

Nose is fire, straight up fire. Intense heat with vegetal chile aroma. Smells like hatch chiles on steroids AND HGH. Wow.

After drinking 5 beers I finally got the courage to pop this fucker. I was planning on sharing it, but a good opportunity never presented itself over the past few months. I was planning on attempting to drink the whole thing by myself, but after one sip am reproaching myself and there is no way in the fiery depths of hell I am finishing this one…or am I? The malt is lightly grainy and the chile flavor is somewhere between smoky chipotle and raw poblano peppers. Somewhat like a habanero, but earthier and more vegetal. Holy hell, I love hot stuff and have enjoyed almost all the chile beers I have had...but this takes it a bit too far. About 3 oz in I am ready to throw in the towel...I think I will re-cap and use in some cooking. This is not a good beer by any means, but the novelty score is a 5.0 and I wouldnt take back the experience for anything...maybe :)

Edit…I drank about half of it and got the bright idea to add a Modelo Especial to it and it works very well. I mixed a 1:1 ratio and it is hot, but not sweat-inducing hot. I think I can finish it…Im a stubborn son of a bitch. I will need to chase this with some Tums though.

Double Edit...I drank 12 oz of this concoction, my stomach is making some really wierd noises and burping hurts pretty bad. Not for the faint of heart, but if you are a glutton for punishment this beer is right up your alley.

2.5/5  rDev -19.1%

1.75/5  rDev -43.4%

3.52/5  rDev +13.9%

A: Pours a cloudy piss orange. Small fizzy tan head that fades away instantly. No lacing, no head retention.

S: Lots of vegetal pepper. Lots and lots of it. Not much heat in the nose but you kinda get a sense that it means business. Maybe it's in my head.

T: Vegetal peppers up front with a surprisingly nice sweet grainy malt. Like sweetbread and crackers. Tiny bit of heat up front but it grows...and grows....and grow. Smoky, smouldering, intensifying heat builds to a peak after about 10 seconds and then slowly fades. The smoky buildup is definitely classic ghost pepper. Start sweating almost immediately, lips burning, heart rate increasing. Very nice heat, the best I've had in any beer ever.

M: Medium bodied, "smooth"

O: The first truly hot chile beer I've ever had. It's not unbearable but I doubt I could drink much more than the 12 ounces by myself. Palate gets fatigued and the lips just don't like the burning for so long. Still, nice simple beer with an impressive amount of chile pepper flavor and especially heat.

3.03/5  rDev -1.9%

Thanks to phillyswear for this great extra.

A - Orangish color that gets lighter on the sides. Quick dissolving head that left some wisps on the sides of the glass.

S - Like Alex said, this reminds me a lot of the Tri-Pepper Pilsner. The peppers are a bit spicey, but seem more like green peppers than anything else.

T - Wow, it's really peppery, as in really spicey peppery. I actually pick up a couple of distinct different pepper notes including the more spicey kinds as well as the ones that are just full on heat. Given what this was trying to accomplish, it's quite well done as it's relatively tasty, although hotter than blazes. Wouldn't say it's great, but not bad.

M - It burns like fire. Decent carbonation, medium boded.

O - I thought this was fine for what it was. Doesn't taste bad, doesn't taste particularly great, but if you were trying to make a beer that would blow your tastebuds to hell with pepper spice, it does what it accomplishes in an acceptable way.

On a post note, I eat a ton of spicey food and have a very high tolerance. The sheer acidity of this beer though caused me massive heartburn (an unusual thing) that forced me to go out at 4:30 am for Zantac. If you feel the need to tick this, beware.

3.75/5  rDev +21.4%

3.11/5  rDev +0.6%

Poured into a tulip glass. No head on a cloudy straw colored body.
The smell was of fire roasted chili peppers.
Well, it's a chili beer... so it's HOT through and through. In fact that's the only flavor to come through: the pepper heat.
It has a crisp texture with low carbonation.
It bordered on painful to drink but I could still finish the 12 oz bottle.

3.25/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Ghost Face Killah from Twisted Pine Brewing Company