Ghost Face Killah | Twisted Pine Brewing Company

Colorado, United States
twistedpinebrewery.com

Style: Chile Beer

Availability: Spring

Made with 6 chiles including Anaheim, Fresno, jalapeño, serrano, habenero, and ghost chile.

Added by Todd on 01-11-2011

Reviews: 180 | Ratings: 581
3.67/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle, purchased as a single, for about $3.95 (can you say hype?)

Pours clouded dull lighter amber, with lots of sediment kinda stuff floating around. Minimal head, film, collar and no lacing.

Strong pepper on the sniff.

This shite is HOT...as a chili pepper head and enjoyer, this one is the real deal.. ...if you do not enjoy the aroma flavor and yes burn of copious amounts of capsaisin / chili pepper flavor and heat, stay away...but if you do..this one just may be for you....I found it tasty and enjoyable...I dont really feel like another one...one will do just fine....probably would be a nice and tasty addition to a pot of fiery chili...enjoy with caution!

3.59/5  rDev +16.2%

Not much head. Murky dull gold cores body.

Woo! Love the smell!. Make the nostrils flare.

Definite hot! Aftertaste. For sure. Can handle it but yeah! Not much after the pepper heat.

Low carbonation. Medium mouthfeel,

Lovin it. Although beer wise I'd set it back a half step from Great Danes Tri-Pepper Pilsner. Thanks kawilliams81.

3.32/5  rDev +7.4%

Jumping jezuz, this thing ain't lying!

Pours a clear, slightly light golden color. No head. Looking back, no foam could develop with this much fire.

Aroma is more of an anaheim chili, or pablano pepper, doesn't seem hot..unless you think about it. Yes, I can tell this will be hot. The aroma lies a bit, but underneath it's a burner.

Flavor is chili pepper. Green chili pepper at first. But hey, you won't get more of that, or remember it, because the heat hits. Mostly at the back of the throat, but if you swirl the your mouth will catch fire. Cripes....hot!
Although not too hot. The slight smoke and the chili skin flavors really present a nice Catch 22: do I keep drinking it, cuz it's tempting me?

Mouthfeel: well, it's hot. Not filmy or cleansing. Hot

Good beer for those who like spice, or for a good red-beer.

Was pre-gaming whilst waiting for guests to arrive for what turned out to be an epic rager. My brother dared me to chug this, so I transferred the liquid from bottle to nonic style glass and proceeded to slam this beer, hard. It set my insides ablaze. Loved it.

3.68/5  rDev +19.1%

Thanks to someone for sharing this at the May Freetail bottle release. When I saw this beer brought out I had no idea what to think. I love spicy food, but I am not a huge fan of chili beers so this should be interesting.

The beer pours a basic yellow color with a large white head. The aroma is very heavy on the peppers. There may be a little bit of malt mixed in, but this smells like you just stuck your head in a bucket of peppers.

The flavor is more of the same. I get a ton of heat when I drink the beer but there is also some nice pepper flavors. I can't say that I can pick out the individual chilis, but it is definitely more complex than the flavor in Billy's Chilis and some of the other pepper beers I have tried - such as the infamous Cave Creek Chili Beer. The heat lingers after the beer has left your mouth.

Thin mouthfeel and medium carbonation. This is a hard beer to rate since it is so unlike most other beers, but I did like it.

3.81/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz. Bottle

Pours a nice slightly cloudy golden amber color, very nice carbonation, with a nice one-finger creamy off-white head, which leaves some sticky lacing. The nose is hoppy, with some nice malt notes, some pepper/spice notes. The taste is pretty good, hoppy, slight malt note, very spicy/hot for a beer. Medium body, with a slightly dry/bitter/hot finish. Overall, a very tasty/nice brew, surprised the shit out of me how hot/spicy this brew is, might be a little bit hotter than the Stone Crime, but a lot less ABV.

1.97/5  rDev -36.2%

Bottle purchased at Joe Bean Coffee Roasters. I dunno why I did.

Pours a clear yellow, with a little bit of haze, and no head or lacing.

Smells like really hot and vegetal peppers. Smells kind of ok actually, but I can tell this is gonna be rough.

It's rough. Big surprise. Raging, blistering pepper heat, tastes essentially like pepper juice. If I try really hard, I can sort of tell there's a beer underneath. I can't tell if it's an adjunct lager, or a blond ale, or gasoline, it doesn't really matter, it tastes rancid. No balance whatsoever.

It's pretty light bodied, but not even slightly drinkable. There's a medium amount of carbonation, I guess, it's hard to tell anything that's going on.

Stay the hell away from this. Don't even think about it. You've been warned.

3.59/5  rDev +16.2%

Well I have to try a beer that says it will kill my face!

Chill hazed golden amber beer.

The pepper isn't very subtle at all. Strong fruity and smoky hot pepper. Exceedingly spicy smelling. Smells like fresh roasted and peeled chile pepper.

Starts out sweet and smoky and it doesn't lie about this packing a punch. DEEP warming of the chest and not because of alcohol either. Quickly turns to mostly smoky flavors, think Mexican Rauchbier. Fruity after you acclimate to the heat.

Mouthfeel is a mouthful of Tabasco sauce!

Overall a Powerful chile beer but you had damn well be able to tolerate hot peppers!

2.9/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Finally got to give this one a shot, 12 oz bottle purchased at Pinocchios in Media. I love chiles and hot food in general so what the heck.

Pours a lightly hazed dark apricot gold, with a small fizzy head that dissipates quickly and no lace. There's a very subtle sweetness buried in the aroma but it's pretty much dominated by fiery chiles; smells a lot like Tabasco to be honest. There's actually a lot of complexity to the nose if you allow yourself to dig in and not scorch your nostrils;some tropical fruit notes intermingle with a variety of chile aromas.

Unfortunately the flavor is just way too abusive and overpowering in peppery heat and no other elements can emerge very much; the overall effect is like drinking straight up hot sauce. Don't get me wrong, I love to douse my food in hot sauce but I still don't want to drink it straight from the bottle. The mouth is left with a lengthy lingering burn in the finish.

The body is medium light and the carbonation is moderately high; the mouthfeel is fine, but does it really matter? I could enjoy 2 ounces of this every now and then; finishing an entire bottle on one's own seems unecessarily punitive. A novelty to be sure but not really an enjoyable one.

3.83/5  rDev +23.9%

Received this in a trade and shared with bpk59 (Ben) and JLindros as well as others for some chili beer tasting session. Poured into a tulip. Reviewed from notes.

A - Poured a clear golden hue with a half finger of sudsy head that faded relatively quickly to leave a very soft, light halo.

S - Oh yeah, chili assault, burnt spice, chili powder, and earthy smoke from the jolkiah pepper. Nice.

T - Excellent ghost chili notes. Just delicious. Lightly smokey like the flavour of the ghost chili is. Really does the ghost chili justice. Just solid.

M - Slightly thin for my liking. Something bigger would have helped convey the heat.

O - This was a great chili beer, just delicious. I love ghost chili's and this did the pepper justice. Job well done.

3.1/5  rDev +0.3%

From 12oz bottle to Devil's Backbone glass on 5/5/12
*From notes

A: Like an unfiltered pale lager. A firm pour yields no sign of a head, zero lacing and no real collar.

S: Just put a bottle of hot sauce up your nose. It's not so much hot as it is peppery. It's like you can literally smell the crushed pepper flakes.

T: All heat from beginning to end. It's lacking any semblance of balance. Malt? Hops? Forgetaboutit! It's spicy, like drinking a shot of hot sauce. I've had hotter (not beer mind you), but this is certainly some caliente shit.

M: Bubbly enough. Jesus...the heat is really setting in.

O: Look, if you want a chile beer, this is your solution. I've never had a beer this hot, and I knew I wasn't just being a pussy when one my buddies started to hiccup from the heat. I'm not giving this a four overall for anything other then what it set out to do: scald your palate.

And if nothing else, I haven't had such fun cracking a beer in a long, long time. Sharing this insane concoction and the hearty laughs that came with it with my tasting group won't soon be forgotten.

3.47/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

- Brewed with ghost pepper (bhut Jolokia), Serrano, jalapeno, habanero, fresno, & anaheim chili peppers.

A: A glass consuming head, off white, fills the vessel to near capacity upon the pour, blink, and you may miss it, instantanously disipating right before the eyes to a near polished surface, certainly one of the most bizzare instances ive ever seen. Hazy tangerine orange with a good rate of carbonation can be seen along with some peppery haze and some seeds.

S: The chili peppers are no stranger and are not shy by any means, strong, fresh and wet, bringing a tear to the eye if you venture to close. Will straighten out and twitch your nostril hairs with to big of a wiff. You can definitly smell the hot, spiciness of the ghost pepper and jalapenos the most. I detected some fresh green peppers and habanero. The chili peppers are definitly fresh, hot and juicy here like you just sliced them open.

T: The flavor is hot and spicy, red peppers, habaneros, and the ghost pepper quickly creep up on you after a short initial pause where you may think this isn't so bad. Pure liquid heat that provides a lasting warmth behind.

M: had a slight syrupy nature to it, some substance from the malt, but the main focus is the sting of chili juices that glow the inner cheeks and tongue. I held onto this for a good minute or two which felt like a life time. The heat lingers long after the swallow and takes up residence with a fire in the belly.

O: Sip this slowly, i actually waited to this warmed up a bit to make the chili presence more pronounced and get the most heat out of the peppers. Faster sips are more tolearable for the not so daring. Most of the heat comes after the swallow with a sting of on the tongue. Probably the hottest chili beer ive consumed. The malt base is more respectable then daves. You tongue does eventually become numb mid drink and the beer becomes much easier to consume. This is flat out scorchville assault of chili peppers, its hard to judge this, it follows the guidelines with a light malt base so it would be unfair to judge this against smoked chipotle stout styles, where a stout chili beer has more chocolate/roast malt attributes. This is what it is, a dare, an intriquing try, and one to experience for the chili fan or looking to spring on those unsuspecting friends.

3.17/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle

A- Pours a hazy golden yellow/amber color with a small fizzy white head that quickly dissipates.

S- The aroma is roasted chilis and very faint malt, you can definitely smell the spicy peppery throughout the nose.

T- The taste is a very brief moment of maltiness with the spiciness from the chilies quickly kicking in and lingering well into the finish.

M- The mouthfeel is light bodied and highly carbonated.

O- Overall, this beer packs the heat unlike any other beer I have tried. As someone who enjoys spicy foods, I enjoyed the uniqueness of this beer. I wouldn't be able to drink more that one bottle of this in a sitting, actually it is pretty difficult to just finish one bottle.

1.22/5  rDev -60.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

Pours hazy gold, with one inch head that goes quickly. Smell is green vegetables. Taste is heat and liquid peppers. This is the hottest beer I have ever had. My mouth is burning. Reminds me of Cave Creek chili beer. I like a well balanced chili beer but this does not have much beer taste at all. If you like drinking straight hot sauce, this is your beer. Not for me at all.

3.93/5  rDev +27.2%

Thanks for this cool extra Danilo!

Drank last night, reviewed from notes.

poured into sam Adams pint glass.

Appearance: Straw gold bodied beer with a white fizzy head that is gone almost by the time the beer is finished pouring.

Smell: This beer is all pepper. U can get a nice fresh smell of peppers. Mostly reminds me of green peppers. Also has a smokey noted in the nose. It really reminds of being the garden. The nose is the stand out part of this beer. Impressive.

Taste: Peppers taste similiar to green pepper just like the smell. Also has a mild smokey note and can taste a slight meaty note almost like bacon. After that, it gets hot and you feel the burn and then the after burn. All the way down the throat.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied beer with moderate carbonation.

Overall: This is a one and done beer for me. I am glad I got the opportunity to try this beer. Its best pepper beer I have ever had. Too hot for my liking, but that was this beers purpose. Pepper beers are just not my thing!

3.15/5  rDev +1.9%

12oz bottle poured into a tasting glass; shared with a friend

The body sits a golden yellow with a faint hint of orange. A small, white cap rises and falls quickly. No lacing whatsoever. The nose is straight pepper juice/cayenne pepper powder. The pepper flavor/aromas are overly dominant. I can't seem to detect anything else. At first sip, some pale malt hits and then a rush of liquid pepper juice. The heat slowly fills the palate and retreats slowly. Light body, dry and crisp finish. Heat lingers. My stomach actually started to hurt a little bit. I honestly didn't think this was a bad attempt at a beer, just overly bold. Tough to drink, that's for sure. Best to split a bottle three ways.

3.32/5  rDev +7.4%

Bottle opened on 8.6.12.

A - Pours a very light, cloudy orange with a fizzy off-white head that fades quickly.

S - Spicy, hot peppers. Very salsa-like.

T - Hot peppers, fire baby!

D - Ok carbonation with a thin body. A fire in the throat finish.

O - Hot! I love it! Good flavors, but the heat is just crazy!

3.2/5  rDev +3.6%

Split this with dogfishandi...

A: Pours a nice cloudy peach, with little to no head. It's deceptive.

S: The nose is sweet malt, hops, peaches, some great pepper and subtle spice. It's too unassuming, which scares me.

T: Nice sweetness up front, a little bit of pepper, and then... BAM!!! MOTHER FUKIN HOT!!! Good lord. It's like licking Satan's butthole. It's hotter than hot. My whole mouth and face are on fire. Damn. It's a novelty for sure. But my goodness. This is brutal. I can't taste anything but hot peppers.

M: Light bodied beer. Hot, Hot, Hot, and then some more hot.

O: I get it. Hot ass beer. And it delivers, but I completely underestimated this beer. It's terribly great.

2.91/5  rDev -5.8%

Thanks, willandperry! I've been anxious to try this one :-)

Appearance. Pours a clear, yellow gold with two fingers of white head that doesn't last long at all.

Smell. Wow, roasted sweet red peppers and a smokey, salty driftwood kind of smell. Interesting, but not as something to drink...

Taste. Tangy bell peppers along with white pepper and hot fresh jalepenos. This beer doesn't disapoint with the heat, and I like my firey food. Taste isn't as bad as I expected from the smell. For this "style", I guess it's pretty decent tasting.

Mouthfeel. Medium-light body, medium+ carbonation.

Overall. Well, it was an experience to say the least. Really glad to have tried it. My cheeks are sweating, and that's the level of heat that I like in any Indian, and various other ethnic foods. Extra full overall point for doing a chille beer that definitely showcases the chilles. Thanks again, willandperry!

3.06/5  rDev -1%

Off top this is a novelty beer. Golden color, looks like a beer. The smell gives a very good indicator of what you can expect, smoky peppers, just foreboding in every sense of the word. the flavor is smoky pepper, maybe that is the serrano? It then quickly morphs into heat that is not a joke. I love hot foods so this did not phase me but make no mistake this beer is hot and you will feel it in your tongue. I had to try this beer because I have had good chile beers from Coopersmith's and Stone 11.11.11 but I won't revisit this.

2.26/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2.25

Pours golden with very quickly. Smells like a great hot sauce, but not a beer. Very crisp refreshing brew behind the pepper. Crazy hot pepper here and it is just too much. Good grief. I think it is worth trying as a novelty, but I would be impressed with anyone that could put this whole bottle down themselves. I am curious if this would be a good beer for cooking as a marinade. But as is it just burns.

an extra from a trade from some point in time...not sure how old or fresh this is. I know I have had this for a WHILE. decided to pop alongside a ghost scorpion, cause I was bored. from a sniff I knew this wasn't for me but when it touched my lips...what a mistake. YIKES. this 's a joke right?

2.46/5  rDev -20.4%

A: This poured a cloudy gold with some white head.
S: It smelled like jalapeno and chipotle and tabasco. Can't find much beer related scent.
T: It tasted like sweet peppers and burning. It had a lasting intensely hot aftertaste.
M: It was watery with lots of carbonation. Fizzy body.
D: This was exactly what it claims to be - hot beer. Really hot. If the scent didn't warn you off, the taste certainly should. Fitting body, but tough to handle the finish. Definitely not easy to drink. Fun to try once, but not for much more than a few sips, unless you're really into spicy drinks.

2.85/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle into a nonic pint glass. I was really looking forward to this one - if only for the novelty factor alone.

A: Pours a cloudy golden color. The head is a one finger white shade that retains very poorly.

S: File this one into the "no shit" category: it's full of ridiculously hot peppers. Plain and simple, it smells like acid reflux. Yay?

T: This actually has more to it than just bowel-fuckingly hot peppers. For a brief minute, it has slight touches of initial tropical fruit (like mango and papaya). Then, the midtaste becomes quite smoky, and then pure fiery heat descends. I also detect notes of pine and phenolic plastic. I'm surprised how complex this is; no it doesn't layer itself in a finessed manner - but there is a rock-solid depth to it. In terms of heat, it's not really that far off from a spicy michelada, nor is it the hottest thing I've put in my mouth. If anything, it hits the hallmark objective of what a spicy tongue-fucker should achieve: can you taste more to it than just stupid chile heat? If anything, the huge phenolic notes are the biggest detractor for me, not the spiciness.

M: For sure, one burns the palate with searing heat. This destroys the palate far better than any IPA could hope to achieve. It's clean and dry enough where the heat actually doesn't last ridiculously long on the palate, though. Still, I can really feel it in my esophagus, retro-nasals, and stomach - and I can really feel acid reflux setting in, too.

O: It's actually not the hottest thing I've ever had before - but it's one of the hottest things I've ever drank (only a couple of bloody marys or micheladas that I overspiced really challenge it). It gets a 4.5 just for the experience; it's certainly not pleasant, but it's somehow fun to drink. I reckon this would make an awesome adjunct to chili, as well.

2.72/5  rDev -12%

12 oz bottle pours a hazed yellow color with a few bubbles of head, no retention or lacing, which is typical of chile beers.

Nose is fire, straight up fire. Intense heat with vegetal chile aroma. Smells like hatch chiles on steroids AND HGH. Wow.

After drinking 5 beers I finally got the courage to pop this fucker. I was planning on sharing it, but a good opportunity never presented itself over the past few months. I was planning on attempting to drink the whole thing by myself, but after one sip am reproaching myself and there is no way in the fiery depths of hell I am finishing this one…or am I? The malt is lightly grainy and the chile flavor is somewhere between smoky chipotle and raw poblano peppers. Somewhat like a habanero, but earthier and more vegetal. Holy hell, I love hot stuff and have enjoyed almost all the chile beers I have had...but this takes it a bit too far. About 3 oz in I am ready to throw in the towel...I think I will re-cap and use in some cooking. This is not a good beer by any means, but the novelty score is a 5.0 and I wouldnt take back the experience for anything...maybe :)

Edit…I drank about half of it and got the bright idea to add a Modelo Especial to it and it works very well. I mixed a 1:1 ratio and it is hot, but not sweat-inducing hot. I think I can finish it…Im a stubborn son of a bitch. I will need to chase this with some Tums though.

Double Edit...I drank 12 oz of this concoction, my stomach is making some really wierd noises and burping hurts pretty bad. Not for the faint of heart, but if you are a glutton for punishment this beer is right up your alley.

Ghost Face Killah from Twisted Pine Brewing Company