Ghost Face Killah | Twisted Pine Brewing Company

Colorado, United States
twistedpinebrewery.com

Style: Chile Beer

Availability: Spring

Made with 6 chiles including Anaheim, Fresno, jalapeño, serrano, habenero, and ghost chile.

Added by Todd on 01-11-2011

Reviews: 180 | Ratings: 582
3.03/5  rDev -1.9%

Thanks to phillyswear for this great extra.

A - Orangish color that gets lighter on the sides. Quick dissolving head that left some wisps on the sides of the glass.

S - Like Alex said, this reminds me a lot of the Tri-Pepper Pilsner. The peppers are a bit spicey, but seem more like green peppers than anything else.

T - Wow, it's really peppery, as in really spicey peppery. I actually pick up a couple of distinct different pepper notes including the more spicey kinds as well as the ones that are just full on heat. Given what this was trying to accomplish, it's quite well done as it's relatively tasty, although hotter than blazes. Wouldn't say it's great, but not bad.

M - It burns like fire. Decent carbonation, medium boded.

O - I thought this was fine for what it was. Doesn't taste bad, doesn't taste particularly great, but if you were trying to make a beer that would blow your tastebuds to hell with pepper spice, it does what it accomplishes in an acceptable way.

On a post note, I eat a ton of spicey food and have a very high tolerance. The sheer acidity of this beer though caused me massive heartburn (an unusual thing) that forced me to go out at 4:30 am for Zantac. If you feel the need to tick this, beware.

3.52/5  rDev +13.9%

A: Pours a cloudy piss orange. Small fizzy tan head that fades away instantly. No lacing, no head retention.

S: Lots of vegetal pepper. Lots and lots of it. Not much heat in the nose but you kinda get a sense that it means business. Maybe it's in my head.

T: Vegetal peppers up front with a surprisingly nice sweet grainy malt. Like sweetbread and crackers. Tiny bit of heat up front but it grows...and grows....and grow. Smoky, smouldering, intensifying heat builds to a peak after about 10 seconds and then slowly fades. The smoky buildup is definitely classic ghost pepper. Start sweating almost immediately, lips burning, heart rate increasing. Very nice heat, the best I've had in any beer ever.

M: Medium bodied, "smooth"

O: The first truly hot chile beer I've ever had. It's not unbearable but I doubt I could drink much more than the 12 ounces by myself. Palate gets fatigued and the lips just don't like the burning for so long. Still, nice simple beer with an impressive amount of chile pepper flavor and especially heat.

3.11/5  rDev +0.6%

Poured into a tulip glass. No head on a cloudy straw colored body.
The smell was of fire roasted chili peppers.
Well, it's a chili beer... so it's HOT through and through. In fact that's the only flavor to come through: the pepper heat.
It has a crisp texture with low carbonation.
It bordered on painful to drink but I could still finish the 12 oz bottle.

3.08/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

A- Pale amber body with virtually no head to speak of. Leaves a few clear bubbles on top.

S- Smokey hot sauce. Smells like straight chipotle peppers.

T- Hot, smokey and hot. Really not much else can get by the heat.

M- Very bubbly with a thin mouthfeel. Obviously leaves quite the burn on the tongue.

O- Would not try again, but worth a try if you love hot foods. If you do not like hot foods, keep away.

3.57/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours a deep, murky apple cider color with a fizzy soda-like head that dies quick.

S: A rich, smoky pepper aroma. Chipotle salsa is what came to mind here the most. Definitely doesn't smell like something you want to mess around with.

T: Opens on the mild side- sweet and smooth with mostly honey and grain coming through. Then there's a gradual build of smoky hot fire that kind of just keeps building and building. I've had ghost pepper hot sauce before, and this never comes close to that kind of heat. But as far as beers go, this is by far the hottest I've had. Not a lot of flavor in this beer, but if hot is what you're looking for, pull up a chair.

4.21/5  rDev +36.2%

Golden yellow body, slightly cloudy, with a huge white head on the initial pour, but after letting it settle in the pint glass, the head quickly dissipated with the top-off pour until there is virtually no head (common with chili beers; my understanding is it's due to the chili oils). Very strong chili and pepper aroma. Burning chili taste dominates the flavor; hot and long lasting. Oily, medium body.

This is the hottest chili beer I've tasted to date. Since I like the heat (and would love to have this while eating some hot buffalo wings!), it gets an decent overall score. Too bad there is no real head per se. I've had some tasty chili beers that manage to get a semblance of a beer head, but my take on the style is chili beer should have some heat and kick. In this case, this beer definitely has it.

1.63/5  rDev -47.2%

Thanks to ThirstyHerf for the opportunity! Shared with injuredreserve because I'm not suicidal... he however was, trudging through all 8 ounces he decided to pour himself.

Pours a hazy/cloudy pale straw color. Looks slightly wheat based. Head was white, and not long lasting.

Aroma was spicy. It's slightly misleading as it was spicy, but it didn't seem... menacing so to speak.

Holy hell...literally. A small sip induced uncontrollable coughing and a burn lasting about 15 minutes. After the burn calmed, I attempted another sip, and put it down much faster this time and it was a little less destroying. I could resist coughing the faster I put it away. Naturally, drinkability is nonexistent.

This is punishment. No enjoyment can really be had here, especially not being a hot head. Glad to have tried it...I think...

3.15/5  rDev +1.9%

Appearance
Pale gold with moderate carbonation. Slightly hazy.

Nose
Tabasco sauce and jalapenos.

Taste
This is balls hot! Tabasco, jalapenos and habanero peppers. There is a touch of caramel in there if you look around.

Mouthfeel
Light-medium bodied and BURNING HOT!

Overall
As a novelty beer, it's quite an excellent one. I love the taste of hot peppers so I found it quite tasty. It they tuned down the hotness on this, it may have even been enjoyable. I split the 12 ounce bottle between me and a friend and neither of us could finish it. Although I said I would never purchase this beer again...I can already tell that I will.

2.26/5  rDev -26.9%

Reviewed from notes. Poured from 12 oz. bottle into pint glass.

A: Pours a somewhat hazy yellow color with a bit of carbonation and only a minimal white head.

S: Musty hot peppers, hot sauce. Maybe a little black peppery.

T: Hot pepper sauce...and that's about it.

M: I think this is a fairly light mouthfeel, but I'm in such a hurry to not have this beer linger in my mouth it's difficult to tell. Ditto for any idea of alcohol presence.

O: As positive as I can be...this could be a nice flavor for salsa, or marinade. But there's no way it belongs in a beer. I like spicy food, and would consider using it for my next batch of beer brats. After reading about it, I didn't go into this beer with high expectations, to say the least. And it disappointed. Drain pour.

2.96/5  rDev -4.2%

12oz bottle. Pours a clear straw gold with a very small white head that quickly goes the a slight collar.

The aroma is a little sweet malt and chili peppers. It's more subdued than expected.

The flavor is a slight touch of sweet malt quickly dominated by chilis with a big burn at the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with very low carbonation.

Overall, it's a completely one dimensional beer - it's all about the heat and the chilis. But it's definitely the hottest beer I've had. It's not as bad a ghost pepper sauces I've had though.

2.08/5  rDev -32.7%

Hazy golden color. Head, what head?
Smell is medicated bandage and nothing else.
Taste is similar but restrained. Peppers are noticeable, light malt, nothing else.
Medium-ish body, lighter end for carbonation. Warms the tongue. Not for the faint of heart nor for those who don't like spicy. Overall, not really worth drinking.

3.1/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a cloudy muddy straw with a finger of fizzy head that dissipated almost instantly. The nose is distinctly hot peppers. The flavor qualities of the beer are near impossible to determine because the heat from the peppers is so pronounced. The finish brings lingering heat. The heat is not so deadly that it prevented me from finishing the bottle, but it is hard to image enjoying this beer with food or with other beers of any style.

Beyond proving to myself that I could handle it, I am not sure what purpose was served by my finishing this beer. At best, this is a novelty that should be tried once. Possibly, the only props that I can give this beer is that there is truth in advertising - they claim that it is hot and it certainly is hot.

2.85/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A gimmick beer. Better than Eds Cave Creek because the beer part is better. Instead of a lame pepper juice taste, this one provides a full-bore hot pepper experience. If you like this sort of thing, the beer is well crafted. For me, this is too much hot pepper, not enough beer.

Pours a hazy apple cider color with a fizzy white head that dies fast with no lacing. Aroma is rich, pungent hot peppers, not much in the way of beer smell.

Taste is a mild ale until the hot pepper kicks in. The effect is not an undrinkable blast but rather a slow destruction of the taste buds. If you are into this sort of thing, you could call this a slow sipper. As someone looking forward to a Father's Day BBQ after drinking this, I was more concerned about tasting my food later on than finishing this beer.

Mouthfeel is a blast of hot peppers on top of a mild ale.

Overall, for me - a drain pour. For someone that likes this sort of thing, it is worthy of finishing. Not a poorly crafted drink, just not something I would want to experience beyond about a 2-3 oz sample.

2.75/5  rDev -11%

Muthafu****, thanks Mike! 12oz bottle into Bell's tulip.

A - Pours a slight hazy orange/yellow color, not much white foam, thin ring, wisps.

S - Lots of peppers, very peppery-hot, and that's about it for me.

T - Ouch, this one hurts my mouth/throat/stomach/etc. Very hot, tons of chili peppers, would be good to mix into a mild salsa but not good to continue drinking.

M - 3rd degree burns on the inside of my body. I tried not to spill any on my cloths or furniture for fear or catching on fire. Light carbonation but the peppers add a spitz that makes up for that.

O - Well, the name is cool and it's f'n hot. So, I think they pretty much captured what they went out to do here. I couldn't drink much, but it's def as-advertisted. Hot a shit. If you like hot salsa or anything with peppers, try this. Hurts to drink, so that's a negative.

3.84/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle

Acquired via trade
Thanks, quirkzoo!

Clear dark straw yellow with a small near-white head that doesn't leave much stick to the glass.

The aroma, as expected, is filled with big, expressive spicy chile character. This smells like I hoped it would. The aroma prepares you for what comes next. You know this is going to be hot.

The flavor follows the aroma, with huge spicy elements washing over the mouth and down the throat, leaving the mouth briefly aflame. That being said, the spicy doesn't last for as long as feared, and is actually quite pleasant. That being said, the flavor is somewhat simple: it's spicy!

Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

This beer was exactly what I was hoping it would be: intensely spicy, yet actually enjoyable. I split the bottle between 6 or so brave beer drinkers, but I happily finished my 2+ oz. pour.

2.64/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.5

Claims to be the hottest this side of hell.... but I have the Pick of Destiny!

Golden light pale with a little murk and a mirror surface, some bubbles come up in two ovals, which send their bubbles into the same confluent strip, giving this a hard dick and balls look.

Smells like somebody took some beautifully ripened chili's, I get some poblano mostly and cooked it over a gas grill, nice and aritificial. Some bits of chicken broth.

Really expecting this to taste like piss. Let's see...

Not quite like the piss I've had in the past. I initially get a sweetness of grain and maybe marshmallow cream. Then comes the onslaught of demons from the bowels of the deep. Earthy and robust with fiery wrath the peppers charge onto the playfield of my tight, wet, warm mouth. Mmmm, my mouth.... Then I pretty much just feel like some black, no wait, maybe green, toasted green peppercorns just rolled over my mouth with cold mashed potatoes. The appeal is undeniable. It's hard to imagine a better flavor for the style. (2.5)

Mouthfeel is like a porcupine dick: thin and prickly, and stabs fast like the first few minutes of a Peter North performance. Then my mouth is simply left drenched and dripping wet. My wife likes the way it feels in my mouth.

Overall this is the best chili beer probably ever, second only to the mis-categorized Budweiser Chelada (original, not light).

2.45/5  rDev -20.7%

A- Pours a clear amber color with just a handful of bubbles for head. Head is gone pretty quick and leaves some nice lacing.

S- Wow quite a bit of peppers jumping out at me. Pretty cool smelling, but not really smelling like a beer either. Different but cool at the same time.

T- Again wow this dude is pretty hot. I'm not really surprised but finding this very odd to drink as a brew. More like drinking a hot sauce than a beer.

M- Medium in body and low carbonation.

O- Pretty cool since it has the ghost chili in it and seeing the guy from Man vs Food almost kill himself eating them. I drink just a bit of this one and my stomach felt it. I'd say this one would be really hard to drink.

3.77/5  rDev +22%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had to try this one out of morbid curiosity.

Served in a Port City tulip.

A: Poured a bright orange with a slight chill haze, some visible carbonation, and really no head whatsoever.

S: Actually, I dug the smell on this much more than I though I would. Liquified pepper mixture, for sure. You can actually smell the vegetable heat!

T: Certainly a spicy endurance test, like a vegetable garden, and with sort of a salty backbone overall.

M: The hottest, most offensively tear inducing beer in history, but I kinda dug it in sort of a sick way. No lacing or booze detected, just straight up heat.

O: This is a novelty beer, for sure, but it's not without it's merits.

2.89/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3

The label got a face lift. I was always curious to try this one but never did, until my girlfriend actually brought me one home. So now it's time to give it a shot.

It pours a pale blonde color, almost white out of the bottle. The head is 2 fingers but diminishes speedily leaving hilly lace.

Aromas of pepper seeds - red bell, jalapeno, serrano. Underneath that are musty malts and and bright grains.

Flavor - holy shit, this is hot. Like whoa hot. My entire collarbone/throat/neck are on fire. From one perspective it's impressive, from another, it's not really enjoyable. Nothing but heat can be sampled. Nothing. Just PEPPER and BURN. I feel I need to take another drink to quench the burn, but that's just going to be a vicious cycle. It's like drinking pepper oil.

Feel is light bodied, carbonated...um...feel........what else, fire? Nose is running, need a tissue...

I can respect this beer, but I drained most of it, even after I let my g/f try it. It was just too hot to enjoy. Hence my overall score. The heat is incredible on this, you'll break out in a sweat. If you drain most of it, you can't enjoy it, and enjoy it we did not.

4.17/5  rDev +35%

After sharing a bottle of this one with schmittymack and my wife at the brewery late yesterday morning (after the burn in my nose had subsided), I decided to drink a bottle last night. Like Dan mentioned, glad I have more.

Poured a light straw color with a very smallish white head. This beer is essentially Billies Chiles, "dry-hopped" with ghost chiles. Nice smokey aromas, roasted hatch chiles and light straw. On the palate, this one is very light and drinkable, with flavors of smoke, fresh chiles and roasted hatch chiles, with some slowly building heat on the back of the throat. Not nearly as hot as I was led to believe, but a very well balanced and drinkable chili beer.

3.99/5  rDev +29.1%

Cracking open the bottle I get strong chilies (just cracking open the cap). It pours an innocent looking light amber, but the head disintegrates quickly. A big whiff of the nose lets you know you're in for trouble...an the taste is instant heartburn. Upfront fresh picked chilies... it's really remarkable how pungent it is. I did not expect this much heat from a beer, maybe I should have chilled it first! The mouthfeel is intensely hot with a subtle smokiness in the aftertaste followed by damage control mouth watering...a small sip is enough.
Totally worth trying if you want to 1) trick a friend 2) poop your pants 3) or pair a beer with indian food...real indian food.
It lived up to the hype about it being the most intense chili beer available, but it's almost completely undrinkable.

2.14/5  rDev -30.7%

So, interesting brew.

Appearance looks like your standard pilsner style lager, decent head, looks appetizing.

I love hot sauce and hot peppers, but the smell is awful on this beer. Starting with a nose of rancid peppers/hot sauce, the smell creeps into your throat and starts to burn. Hard to take a drink after such a terrible smell.

Taste is not much better. The heat is completely tolerable in this beer, so that is not the issue for me. Rather, the rotten pepper/hot sauce taste from the nose translates directly to the taste. Very unappealing. Maybe it would be better if I were eating some strong chili with this beer.

Overall, this is a gimmick beer, and it tastes like it. The only part of the beer I liked was the heat, maybe you could cook with this to kick up the spice in some chili. Unfortunate that the taste was so bad, I love almost anything that can bring the heat, and this beer can. If the taste were better I would seek this out regularly.

3.21/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

12oz bottle from Lueken's Liquors (Dunedin, FL). 3.99. No bottling info. Served in a Cigar City snifter.

Pours hazy orange with a half finger of white head that dissapears quickly. No lace.

Nose is all peppers. Seriously. LOTS of peppers- green, anaheim and jalepeno. I like peppers so I find it pretty appealing.

Wow! That's a damn spicy beer. Nice hot habenero and ghost pepper bite that lingers but allows the cooler jalepeno, anaheim and fresno flavors to peek through. Very interesting.

Lighter side of medium body with nice mellow but sizzling carbonation. Looong slightly burning aftertaste.

Not what I look for in a beer but this was a novel and enjoyable experience. Most likely too hot for most folks but I like it.

3.2/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

A: A dusty straw color, with a large white head that rapidly turns into fish eyes, then dissipates entirely.

S: There are definitely chilies in there. Smells like a combination of fresh, as well as roasted chilies. There is a lovely smokiness to it, like chipotle chili powder. Very interesting..

T: Holy hell that beer is hot! whew!! It starts sweet, with some nice grain notes, as you swallow there is a very nice smoky chili flavor, the finish is all heat. Burns going down, that beer is hot. The base beer really isn't bad, and the smoky flavor is quite delicious, although the heat is fairly substantial.

M: Medium low carbonation, and while the beer is cold, the mouthfeel is hot. The finish on this thing lingers on like crazy...

O: Overall the beer is just way too hot, although I suppose that that is kinda the point. Interesting to experience, but make sure you have at least 4 other people with you to split this with, or dump the whole thing into a pot of beans, and beef and make some damn spicy chili. Overall score is low, simply because you can't finish the damn thing.

4.02/5  rDev +30.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This is not an everyday beer, but you feel like a nice kick in the face this fits the bill.

I understand the poor ratings, but if you don't like it HOT then what the hell are you doing?

Yes, this is hot. Very hot... And I put ghost pepper hot sauce on everything.

Frog in my throat is weird though :)

Ghost Face Killah from Twisted Pine Brewing Company